Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 12, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #17,986 of 33,689
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum.
My Sony MDR-EX650AP broke a couple of weeks ago so I was looking for a new pair of IEMs/earbuds. I do have some experience with chinese IEMs/earbuds since I bought the Rock Zircon of Aliexpress. I like these a considerable amount less than the Sony ones that I had (they were also more than 5 times as cheap though). That's why I'm looking for a new pair and since these Chinese companies offer a great value for money, that's definitely where I'm planning to buy. I did some research and did see some seemingly great ones, but I'm looking for the absolute best. There are just so many options that it's just a bit overwhelming though. That's why I came here to ask what would be the best pair of IEMs/earbuds for me. I mainly listen to hip-hop and I do like a good bass. My budget is 50 euros (=58 dollars), but if it's a bit above that and they're really worth it I definitely wouldn't mind paying some more. I hope someone can help me :)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #17,987 of 33,689
My initial message, to see if the HM2 was still available, was at around 7PM (US Central Time) on 09-AUG-18.
His reply, with the current HM2 link, was ~3.5 hours later, that same evening.
By the time he replied, I had already gone to bed (since I have to get up at 4:30AM), so I got his reply the next morning.
Now, I will say that the Processing Time for all of my orders from HotFi has been longer than most of the other AliExpress vendors that I've purchased from.
Although, to be fair - both the HM1 & HM2 did have notices on their order pages that they are "Custom" assembled & tuned, which would add ~1 week to the order time.
They did ship my HM2 via DHL, so the actual Shipping Time was fairly short.

Yikes that's weird I a pair of headphones a week before the Aliexpress sale and he responded after a couple days. It's been 2 weeks since I purchased and he hasn't responded or updated the shipping status once... I think I'm probably just going to get a different pair of headphones.

Anybody know how the V-Moda LP2s compare to the T4s/LZ A5s or Tin Audio T2s?

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #17,988 of 33,689
Really digging the sound of my new FiiO F3's but really disappointed with the isolation for public transit (at least with the supplied silicone tips, and some of these tips from Penon). It's a shame because the fit of the smallest tips is great.

Anyone experience the same? I'm wondering if it's worth investing in some comply tips or looking elsewhere for something to fulfill my on the go budget-fi needs. Or maybe I should just go Etymotic :ksc75smile:

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #17,989 of 33,689
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum.
My Sony MDR-EX650AP broke a couple of weeks ago so I was looking for a new pair of IEMs/earbuds. I do have some experience with chinese IEMs/earbuds since I bought the Rock Zircon of Aliexpress. I like these a considerable amount less than the Sony ones that I had (they were also more than 5 times as cheap though). That's why I'm looking for a new pair and since these Chinese companies offer a great value for money, that's definitely where I'm planning to buy. I did some research and did see some seemingly great ones, but I'm looking for the absolute best. There are just so many options that it's just a bit overwhelming though. That's why I came here to ask what would be the best pair of IEMs/earbuds for me. I mainly listen to hip-hop and I do like a good bass. My budget is 50 euros (=58 dollars), but if it's a bit above that and they're really worth it I definitely wouldn't mind paying some more. I hope someone can help me :)
Fiio FH1 at $74 is very nice. Check it out there's a lot of information on it.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #17,990 of 33,689
Yikes that's weird I a pair of headphones a week before the Aliexpress sale and he responded after a couple days. It's been 2 weeks since I purchased and he hasn't responded or updated the shipping status once... I think I'm probably just going to get a different pair of headphones.

Anybody know how the V-Moda LP2s compare to the T4s/LZ A5s or Tin Audio T2s?

My order had no Tracking update for about 3 weeks, so I sent a message.
The reply was that the order had just been sent.
It arrived less than a week later.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #17,991 of 33,689
Really digging the sound of my new FiiO F3's but really disappointed with the isolation for public transit (at least with the supplied silicone tips, and some of these tips from Penon). It's a shame because the fit of the smallest tips is great.

Anyone experience the same? I'm wondering if it's worth investing in some comply tips or looking elsewhere for something to fulfill my on the go budget-fi needs. Or maybe I should just go Etymotic :ksc75smile:

If isolation is what you want (and good sound), consider the KZ ZS4.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #17,992 of 33,689
I absolutely love reading your reviews because your soo objective and have tried and will receive many more iems. Theres no bias in your reviews and all the reviews have similar structure which helped me find what I'm looking for. Once again thanks for all your help as you have really helped me in my long search of what I was looking for.
Thank you! Appreciate it. :beyersmile:
Some of the new iems that impress me recently are Shozy & Neo BG, Magaosi MGS-401 & Anew U1.

Anew U1 Thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/anew-u1-impressions-thread.888777/

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #17,996 of 33,689
My review of the KZ AS10 is live. It's a fine IEM and now I'm looking forward to the BA10.
https://primeaudio.org/kz-as10-review/

KZ AS10 hanging close.jpg

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #17,997 of 33,689
Sep 13, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #17,998 of 33,689
If isolation is what you want (and good sound), consider the KZ ZS4.

The successor to the ZS3 I assume? Are they worth the couple of extra bucks over them? Wondering what source to order them from but that may not be allowed here(?). Nevertheless, at both price points there isn't much to lose and the ZS3/4 would easily be my take-around in-ears. Also wondering if aftermarket tips are worth the investment.

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #17,999 of 33,689
quick initial impressions on the trn v80, which i just received. as i understand it, trn are kz alums and their clear target is the comparably-priced kz hybrids:
1. packaging/accessories are rudimentary (no case), though appropriate for the pricepoint.
2. headshells are well built and feel more premium than the kzs, with a reassuring metal heft; cable is of good quality, though the memory portion is inflexible and annoying.
3. in contrast to the oversize, odd-fitting zs5/zs6/zsr, the v80's design is sleek and comfortable despite its weight; isolation is vg.
4. as b9scrambler aptly notes, while not especially hard to drive these are anemic and somewhat incoherent sounding at lower volumes, with subbass being notably boomy/amorphous and mids excessively recessed, as if the vocalist is too far from the mike.
5. turning up the juice improves matters considerably--bass gets a lot more sculpted and mids push forward considerably, though i still hear these as mildly v-shaped, with more emphasis on the lows and especially the highs.
6. treble is definitely the focus--crisp, well-extended and sparkly, if not esp. natural-sounding. drums and cymbals have a lot of snap and transients are very quick, but there's a bit of digital glare/brightness overall.
7. i had been led to believe that these were basshead iems, but as otto has opined the lowend is actually refined and fairly restrained, if lacking a wee bit of midbass texture.
8. sound stage is wide and deep and instruments are well-separated, tho imaging is not as precise as the better kzs--it's sometimes hard to place the location of the performers.
9. good value overall and "technically" superior to the zs5 and zsr in the sense of having better-defined note presentation and tighter bass, although the former inject more energy into the party and are perhaps more coherent overall.

more thoughts to follow if anyone cares....

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #18,000 of 33,689
The successor to the ZS3 I assume? Are they worth the couple of extra bucks over them? Wondering what source to order them from but that may not be allowed here(?). Nevertheless, at both price points there isn't much to lose and the ZS3/4 would easily be my take-around in-ears. Also wondering if aftermarket tips are worth the investment.

Yes, they’re the ZS3 successor. They have excellent bass, which is the star of the show. I’ve compared it before to a ZS3 on steroids. It takes everything good about the ZS3 and makes it better.

And they’re only $12 or so, so yes IMO they’re worth it (especially when you consider the jump in price many recent KZs have made).

As far as the tips, they come with new version of Starlines tips, which are awesome. The cable is great too. It’s basically ready to go out of the box (and sounds great). KZ did a really good job with it, and taking everything into account, it has that high value-to-dollar ratio that KZ is traditionally known for.

I’m not going to claim it is better than some X or Y $50 or $100 IEM, but rather it’s worth every penny of the measly $12ish it goes for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back