Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #18,031 of 33,689
The problem is that the average consumer thinks a hybrid is better than a single dynamic. And that a hybrid with 3 drivers is better than one with 2 drivers. And a hybrid with 5 drivers is better than one with 3 drivers. And so on...

At the same price, a single dynamic should generally be better than a hybrid, just due to practical limitations in cost. However, ignoring price a hybrid design is better in theory, isn't it? I mean, each driver type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so ideally a hybrid would be able to avoid the disadvantages of each of its driver types.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #18,032 of 33,689
The problem is that the average consumer thinks a hybrid is better than a single dynamic. And that a hybrid with 3 drivers is better than one with 2 drivers. And a hybrid with 5 drivers is better than one with 3 drivers. And so on...

Those people need to hear what a single dynamic micro driver can do. Just as more drivers are not always better, neither are bigger drivers always better.

I should also add that a single BA IEM can also be really good...and even include bass!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #18,033 of 33,689
Those people need to hear what a single dynamic micro driver can do. Just as more drivers are not always better, neither are bigger drivers always better.

I should also add that a single BA IEM can also be really good...and even include bass!

The Campfire Audio Orion is good example of a single-BA phone done right. It remains one of my favorites for acoustic and vocal recordings.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #18,034 of 33,689

Micro-drivers are amazing :)

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #18,035 of 33,689
I thoroughly enjoy my IE 800 S which has a single dynamic. On the other hand, the BQEYZ K2 is an incredibly capable hybrid in the budget arena. Similarly, the single dynamic Toneking 9tail is just as enjoyable to me as the Hifi Boy OS V3 hybrid, though they both have a different kind of presentation.

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #18,036 of 33,689
At the same price, a single dynamic should generally be better than a hybrid, just due to practical limitations in cost. However, ignoring price a hybrid design is better in theory, isn't it? I mean, each driver type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so ideally a hybrid would be able to avoid the disadvantages of each of its driver types.

There’s too many factors that influence the answer to that question. Driver design, materials, package dimensions, pressure waves, air flow, diaphragms, magnet design, vents, voice coil design, sensitivity, distortion, etc. And that doesn’t even take into account the shell and overall tuning (not to mention cables and tips).

But just like anything, there’s good and bad examples (whether we’re talking about hybrids or single drivers). And just among single drivers, there are good and bad examples of not only single dynamics but also single BAs.

If I had to give a concrete answer to your question, I would say it’s significantly more difficult to do multi-driver hybrid designs. The reason being is that you have multiples of everything. So not just 1 driver you have to pick all of the “right” characteristics for, but 2 or 5 or more. And not only that, you have to choose crossover points, design the optimum crossover circuitry using the right components, decide how you’re going to wire individual drivers (parallel vs serial), packaging (ie how you are going to get it all to fit), and the whole thing needs to be tuned with coherence.

With single drivers (whether it’s BA or dynamic), it’s much more simple in comparison.

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #18,037 of 33,689
Sep 14, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #18,038 of 33,689
There’s too many factors that influence the answer to that question. Driver design, materials, package dimensions, pressure waves, air flow, diaphragms, magnet design, vents, voice coil design, sensitivity, distortion, etc. And that doesn’t even take into account the shell and overall tuning (not to mention cables and tips).

But just like anything, there’s good and bad examples (whether we’re talking about hybrids or single drivers). And just among single drivers, there are good and bad examples of not only single dynamics but also single BAs.

If I had to give a concrete answer to your question, I would say it’s significantly more difficult to do multi-driver hybrid designs. The reason being is that you have multiples of everything. So not just 1 driver you have to pick all of the “right” characteristics for, but 2 or 5 or more. And not only that, you have to choose crossover points, design the optimum crossover circuitry using the right components, decide how you’re going to wire individual drivers (parallel vs serial), packaging (ie how you are going to get it all to fit), and the whole thing needs to be tuned with coherence.

With single drivers (whether it’s BA or dynamic), it’s much more simple in comparison.

I'd say its simpler to "tune" multi-drivers for the chi-fi companies due to the level of tech available to them. Designing a ground-breaking DD or BA isn't as easy as it sounds (Dita fans would know this). Hybrids, get a shell, get some resistors, BAs, DDs, then get to tinkering. Well, yes, they'll be limited by the quality of the BA/DD used in terms of resolution, but not all chi-fi company can just open up a new RnD process for a BA/DD.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #18,039 of 33,689
So i think there are many pieces that are actually faulty.

AK Audio answered me and processed full refund for the order without asking for return.
I have to say their customer service is way appreciated, very good store and I advice supporting them.

So now i actually have a broken TRN v80 pair, and 30 euros back as maximum money to spend.
I don't know if to buy another TRN v80 being afraid of finding another bad pair or just buy a cheaper headphone.

What should I do? The TRN v80 were anyway fantastic.

There is no chance to solder the BA?
I can recommend the KZ ZS4 as a great budget IEM. It's has a quite aggressive presentation but for the money its great. If you want something that's a bit more relaxed but built like a brick sh1thouse and beautifully crafted, take a look at the Auglamour F200.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #18,040 of 33,689
I agree that a single dynamic driver can sound great, the 9mm Beryllium unit in the Whizzer A15 pro does a fine job but just to be contrary I have ordered the TRN V80! Any advice on the best tips to use with these? I will probably start with Spiral Dots or Spinfits.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #18,041 of 33,689

You are suggesting that the quality of one part of the design cannot be assessed independently of all other parts of the design. By that logic, one could not establish a better/worse for any of those other elements either. Even something as measurably objective as distortion would have to be taken in consideration with a confluence of many other factors. The only thing one could really assert is about the quality of sound of the overall unit, taken as a gestalt black box. Of course, it would also have to be about sound in its entirety, as one could not establish a better/worse for something like soundstage, because one would also have to take into consideration all other aspects of sound as influencing it. I don't buy it.

I understand that you don't want to endorse the claim that one driver arrangement is necessarily better than another because there are good and bad examples of each, as you say. However, that does not prevent us from discussing general trends among the particular IEM's nor from inducing from those particulars qualified claims about the betterness of one kind of driver over another. For example, while there are planar magnetics with loose, uncontrolled bass and dynamic drivers with tight, detailed bass, we can also say generally that planar magnetics offer better bass texture and control and that that is a result (at least in part) of the driver type.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #18,042 of 33,689
like @randomnin have said, it looks like a serial issue. mine was unglued as well and got it from NiceHCK.
So it seems like that's a bigger problem than what i think. My case was serious but many people have this kind of problems with nozzle (mine is destructive).

I can recommend the KZ ZS4 as a great budget IEM. It's has a quite aggressive presentation but for the money its great. If you want something that's a bit more relaxed but built like a brick sh1thouse and beautifully crafted, take a look at the Auglamour F200.
I had zs3 and was so uncomfortable as my ear is very tiny. I think the ZS4 would be a pain for my ears too.

I agree that a single dynamic driver can sound great, the 9mm Beryllium unit in the Whizzer A15 pro does a fine job but just to be contrary I have ordered the TRN V80! Any advice on the best tips to use with these? I will probably start with Spiral Dots or Spinfits.

Use foam tips to tame down the treble.. lower treble is much aggressive.

That's no faulty unit, that's a serial issue. Mine also unglued, but didn't come off with the tip (the soldering of BAs held it in place, I think), so I'll be able to re-glue.

Better fit and build (except the nozzle issue) and cable than KZ, that I agree on. But signature is weird (fixed by equalizing), bass, treble, mids, imaging are no better than KZ ED16 and ES4. Overall, nothing ground-breaking or even noteworthy in as the budget Chi-Fi market stands currently.
Then, it's not just about sound for me.
It's overall satisfaction: i have very small ears, so everything near ZS3 size or shape is just uncomfortable and painful.
The v80 had perfect fitting and it's so comfortable and sounds just like i was expecting so overall i was happy.

Anyway, sorry for the wrong quote.
But it seems like soldering the BA is quite hard atm, i can't know what to solder.. very hard even for the very little space in the shell.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #18,043 of 33,689
So it seems like that's a bigger problem than what i think. My case was serious but many people have this kind of problems with nozzle (mine is destructive).

I had zs3 and was so uncomfortable as my ear is very tiny. I think the ZS4 would be a pain for my ears too.

Use foam tips to tame down the treble.. lower treble is much aggressive.

Then, it's not just about sound for me.
It's overall satisfaction: i have very small ears, so everything near ZS3 size or shape is just uncomfortable and painful.
The v80 had perfect fitting and it's so comfortable and sounds just like i was expecting so overall i was happy.

Anyway, sorry for the wrong quote.
But it seems like soldering the BA is quite hard atm, i can't know what to solder.. very hard even for the very little space in the shell.
DEAT Hifi Small. Solid.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #18,044 of 33,689
DEAT Hifi Small. Solid.
Forgot mentioning i prefer headphones with cable that goes around the ear, more like in ear monitors.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #18,045 of 33,689

Why are you making me want these...haha.. do I really want it to "shock my heart" as it says at the bottom of this photo?

HTB1gxtIAQCWBuNjy0Faq6xUlXXai.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back