CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 23, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #22,891 of 31,833
How does the sound differ from a non-inverted Starline?

It literally only takes 37 seconds to flip a tip.

It would take longer than 37 seconds for @BrunoC to type up a response, for you to read it, etc.

You own loads of KZs, so you have lots of unused Starline ear tips. Try the Flip Tip mod, and you tell US how the sound is different :)

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #22,893 of 31,833
Slater is the best member on Headfi. Sorry, everyone else. :wink:

Wait, does that mean you tried the Flip Tip mod? Don’t keep us in suspense! How do you like it?

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #22,894 of 31,833
As I've said a while back, everybody needs a pair of these. I like them better than KB Ear Diamond, Tin T4, Periodic Be and ER2SE. I got all these after the UrbanFun and they are all IMO more or less on par with it technically aside from the Ety which lacks extension both ends and none managed to displace it from my current favorite spot, great tuning, I love it.

I received my pair on Monday and so far I've been enjoying them quite a lot. They do everything really well and I just can't think of anything to complain about. :)

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #22,895 of 31,833
I like all their soundstages, and they all have good presentation. BA5 and V90 are similar in width though they’re emphasising very different parts of the soundstage, so you get more impressions of height with BA5 and more depth with V90. ZSX is like this compressed holographic sphere of clarity. Very different tonally as well but just as engaging with the right tunes.

Not sure which I’d recommend, I’d like to understand what problem you’re trying to solve with the Tapes...unless it’s hiss/crackle, in which case avoid BA5s as they really don’t like dirty sources. They’re also rather revealing of poor mastering.

I will say that my hands down most listened to set since I’ve had them are my Diamonds. They’re honestly more like head speakers than iems in terms of ease of listening, and soundstage, and tonality. I’m actually right in the middle of talking myself into buying a back-up set!
My problem with tape's + BT20S that seem BT20S is not strong enough to powering the tape's so less shiny & soundstage than wired .... while I want to combo those iems with it....

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #22,896 of 31,833
I recently asked you guys for advice on getting good quality, easy fitting IEMs. One advice was to try the TRN V90's, another was to try different tips (e.g. spinfits) and/or cables.

It took a lot of reading and going back and forth. I was in doubt about getting easy fit TRN V90's, or the highly recommended LZ A6 minis with spinfit tips. In the end I pulled the trigger on the V90's with complementary "silver cable" because of the price. Then, late in the evening after a couple of beers, I did exactly what I had promised myself NOT to do and ordered the LZ A6 Mini's and spinfits as well.

I'm a newby and lack the vocabulary to properly describe the sound signature and quality, but here are my noob impressions after a few hours of listening.

TRN V90 - I like everything about them.
Out of the box there were an immediate easy fit with good seal and isolation with the stock tips. The sound is great. It is a little bit more bass heavy than my KZ ZSNs, but I think V90s are still considered balanced.

LZ A6 Mini
I was positively surprised by the V90's and full of anticipation for the highly rated LZ A6 mini's, but initially... they were dissappointing.

At first I couldn't figure out which IEM went where. They aren't marked left/right. The fit wasn't very good, a lot of twisting and turning to get seal and isolation, but even then they sounded thin, even distant.

I then put on the spinfit tips that I bought also. It was a big difference. Fitting them now is way less fiddly (although nowhere as easy as the V90's). The thin sound actually turned out to be very clear and multilayered and I felt more immersed in the music than I have experienced so far. A bit like the difference between looking at a monitor and VR goggles, although not that extreme. Maybe it's just my imagination because I paid more money for the A6 Mini's, but with the A6 mini's I have a tendency to "explore the sound", rather than just listening and enjoying my favorite music with the V90's. But I think I now understand what the term soundstage means.

I'm really happy with both purchases. The V90's for great sound and excellent fit out of the box. These will be my on the go IEMs.

The LZ A6 mini introduce me to a new level of performance, but I still need very much to get used to the mini's. It's still a bit of twisting and turning before they sit well. Once done the seal is great, but the sound isolation is less than with the V90's, meaning I need to sit in a more quiet area to really enjoy the sound they are able to produce.

I don't think I will buying new IEMs for a while. I need to go through my music library with both and understand what I'm listening at.

Congrats. I thought I was the only one. I can’t get a seal or fit on the A6 mini, after much tip rolling, The sound is the crap you describe before you found layer euphoria. Meanwhile, I think I wasted $75 on two doorstops for a hamster cage.

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #22,897 of 31,833
Jan 24, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #22,898 of 31,833
I received my replacement Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 today.
The mmcx sockets on this pair work perfectly, the cable fits perfectly, and the sound is the same as the original ones. I love ‘em!
More detailed sound impressions and comparisons please! :wink:

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #22,899 of 31,833
Congrats. I thought I was the only one. I can’t get a seal or fit on the A6 mini, after much tip rolling, The sound is the crap you describe before you found layer euphoria. Meanwhile, I think I wasted $75 on two doorstops for a hamster cage.

Don't give up on them just yet. For me the spinfits size L did it. They are worth the effort and frustration.

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #22,900 of 31,833
More detailed sound impressions and comparisons please! :wink:

Still need to compare them more extensively but here's what I personally think so far: Similar sounding to the BLON-03, but with a less bloated mid bass yet a slightly warmer/darker tone. The sub bass is monstrous and the treble is very clear, clean and non-fatiguing. Compared to my Kanas Pro, these sound warmer/fuller or less "edgy", which I tend to prefer. Overall, fun, easy and non-fatiguing to listen to. Probably my most comfortable IEM so far as well which is a nice bonus. :)

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #22,901 of 31,833
Still need to compare them more extensively but here's what I personally think so far: Similar sounding to the BLON-03, but with a less bloated mid bass yet a slightly warmer/darker tone. The sub bass is monstrous and the treble is very clear, clean and non-fatiguing. Compared to my Kanas Pro, these sound warmer/fuller or less "edgy", which I tend to prefer. Overall, fun, easy and non-fatiguing to listen to. Probably my most comfortable IEM so far as well which is a nice bonus. :)

Yes, that sums it up pretty good.

If you are a basshead, you need to order them ASAP.

It’s not bloated artificially boosted Beats type low end. But it’s like a better BL-03, with the benefit of nice tight sub bass that extends super low. I haven’t measured it with a sweep yet, but from my estimation it it extends to 15Hz easy (and possibly even 10Hz). I have very few earphones that actually go as low.

I’ve used the analogy before that it’s like a nice car audio system with a 12” subwoofer. Not the cheap high school license plate rattling ‘wall of vibration’, but real deal tight and clean sub bass punch.

It’s not for everybody though. You orchestral/classical music aficionados would hate it. But if you’ve ever wanted to walk around with a portable chest thumping night club in your pocket, this is the earphone for you.

Heavy polished stainless steel shell, really comfortable fit, nice stock cable, good stock eartips. It’s a winning formula!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #22,902 of 31,833
*clicks on 4 quote-replies to go back to see which IEM a thread is about*

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #22,903 of 31,833
I've just received my Tronsmart Spunky Beats. So, out of the box and to compare against the KZ S1, the Spunky is a nicer sounding unit with better timbre, but it is a little bit more V shaped than the KZ, to the point where the mid recession is noticeable. However the real fly in the ointment is that it just doesn't go loud enough for my liking. The KZ is just about loud enough and the Spunky is just about not loud enough. It's also not as stable a connection as the KZ. KZ is unbroken, the right channel cuts out momentarily about every third song or so on the Spunky. Only for a beat or so but it is slightly irritating. Without reference I had quite a hard job placing the KZ (It's about as good as the NiceHCK DB3 but it's also wireless). With something to compare to it becomes even more apparent that KZ have done really well.

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #22,904 of 31,833

Sorry, I’ll be more cognizant of that.

We’re referring to the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 (has a beryllium driver and solid stainless steel body that kinda looks like the Blon BL-03)

9C9E7A3F-37E3-4D3A-9F35-2FDCF387035A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #22,905 of 31,833

I know. We really should always say the model name in every reply. I try but I occasionally get lazy especially when typing on my tablet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back