CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 22, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #22,861 of 31,833
I know it's probably been mentioned already, but the KZ ZS10 Pro ($40-$50) are a stellar set of IEMs for their price. Reviews typically give them very high marks, and even stacked up against midrange IEMs that I have they are a solid budget contender (in my experience). For bassheads, and anyone searching for a wider soundstage, plus they are quite compact for a 5BA + 1DD build.
ZS10, as the number states, have 10 drivers: 4 BAs + DD per side.

Are you sure that you are not talking about the newest ZSX, which are 5 +1, and are really great (I am currently enjoying music with them).

ZS10 pro are nice, but more V-shape and are a bit less universal and capable.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #22,862 of 31,833
ZS10, as the number states, have 10 drivers: 4 BAs + DD per side.

Are you sure that you are not talking about the newest ZSX, which are 5 +1, and are really great (I am currently enjoying music with them).

ZS10 pro are nice, but more V-shape and are a bit less universal and capable.

Whoops, my mistake. 4 BAs and 1 DD per side is correct.

I do enjoy the v-shape personally. I EQ'd it using Peace and measurements from one of the sites, but the result was not so satisfying. They are my first IEMs, so I am partial lol

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #22,863 of 31,833
[ I also posted this on the dedicated DM-480 thread, but decided to paste it here too to keep things in one place ]

So, I jotted down the review of DM-480. The rating I truly wanted to give would be a 4.25, but that's not supported on the head-fi site, so yeah. In summary: I like the sub-bass response, the mid-range detail retrieval and the fact that vocals are not buried too much, and the great treble extension. I also think this is well-suited for metal/hard-rock tracks.

On the other hand, I could never get over that lean mid-bass and metallic timbre; personal pet-peeves, sadly.

I believe this driver assembly has a lot of potential and hope Dunu can aim for a more balanced tuning with more emphasis on the mids with their next release.

Please give the full review a read: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/23188/

IMG_5420.JPG

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #22,864 of 31,833
I know it's probably been mentioned already, but the KZ ZS10 Pro ($40-$50) are a stellar set of IEMs for their price. Reviews typically give them very high marks, and even stacked up against midrange IEMs that I have they are a solid budget contender (in my experience). For bassheads, and anyone searching for a wider soundstage, plus they are quite compact for a 5BA + 1DD build.

Well the ZS10 Pro was good in mid 2019, it can hit about 80 - 90% sound quality of my Westone W30 and Westone 3 which costs 10 times more, but the CHIFI industry moves so fast that it has been superceded by the KZ ZSX/CCA C12 that came out a few months later, for a few bucks more. It's a good all rounder, but the ZS10 Pro IMHO suffers from an artificial timbre especially in the treble frequencies and has a bit of a midbass bloat, but otherwise it is technically quite excellent for the price, and is a great entry level set that is bang for buck. If u ain't particular about timbre when listening to classical/acoustic instruments then it is great for most other genres.

The KZ ZSX is supposed to be the spiritual successor of the ZS10 Pro with better timbre and improvements, though some complain the fit is not as good as the ZS10 Pro.

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #22,866 of 31,833

ZS10 Pro is 4BA + 1 DD they are great set but has a caveat on metallic timbre

Well the ZS10 Pro was good in mid 2019, it can hit about 80 - 90% sound quality of my Westone W30 and Westone 3 which costs 10 times more, but the CHIFI industry moves so fast that it has been superceded by the KZ ZSX/CCA C12 that came out a few months later, for a few bucks more. It's a good all rounder, but the ZS10 Pro IMHO suffers from an artificial timbre especially in the treble frequencies and has a bit of a midbass bloat, but otherwise it is technically quite excellent for the price, and is a great entry level set that is bang for buck. If u ain't particular about timbre when listening to classical/acoustic instruments then it is great for most other genres.

The KZ ZSX is supposed to be the spiritual successor of the ZS10 Pro with better timbre and improvements, though some complain the fit is not as good as the ZS10 Pro.

here my representative, steal my brain and tell you exact what i would say about.

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #22,867 of 31,833
Ironically, for me the fit for the ZS10 pro could never get deep enough for a decent seal. I have not tried the ZSX, though.

Try a longer nozzle eartip like Spinfits, I find it gives a deeper seal and hence better fit/comfort/isolation than the stock tips.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #22,869 of 31,833
I bought some New Bee tips to replace them, is the Spintip much longer than them?

Never tried New Bees, not a foam fan, but maybe the rest can advise.

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #22,870 of 31,833

How about ZSX vs V90 ? Previously I had V80 & ZS10 and now looking for the replacement ( the best from those two...)

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #22,871 of 31,833
How about ZSX vs V90 ? Previously I had V80 & ZS10 and now looking for the replacement ( the best from those two...)

Sorry I don't have the V90, maybe ask @DynamicEars for his advise, as he has both KZ ZSX and TRN V90. But a few headfiers who had the V80 didn't like its harsh treble, and preferred the V90 a lot more.

The recent great sub $50 hybrid/multi BA sets that are well regarded here are the TRN V90, TRN BA5, CCA C12 and KZ ZSX, they look to be sidegrades of sorts, just with different tuning and maybe differing in technicals here and there, so it really depends what your preferred sound signature and music genres are.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #22,872 of 31,833

I have the CCA C12 not the ZSX. Both C12 and V90 are better than ZS10 and V80 by a lot. V90 is a bit more V shaped. C12 has a slightly brighter treble. They're about as good as each other but the extra warmth in the V90 makes it IMO a slightly better all rounder. Though as I also own the Blon BL03 I tend to listen to the CCA more as it sounds more different to the Blon.

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #22,873 of 31,833
I have the CCA C12 not the ZSX. Both C12 and V90 are better than ZS10 and V80 by a lot. V90 is a bit more V shaped. C12 has a slightly brighter treble. They're about as good as each other but the extra warmth in the V90 makes it IMO a slightly better all rounder. Though as I also own the Blon BL03 I tend to listen to the CCA more as it sounds more different to the Blon.
Thank you both for the prompt reply......appreciate it....:pray:
In term of staging which one is better ? I also like the staging feel of QT2...

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #22,874 of 31,833

Sorry I don't have the V90, maybe ask @DynamicEars for his advise, as he has both KZ ZSX and TRN V90. But a few headfiers who had the V80 didn't like its harsh treble, and preferred the V90 a lot more.

The recent great sub $50 hybrid/multi BA sets that are well regarded here are the TRN V90, TRN BA5, CCA C12 and KZ ZSX, they look to be sidegrades of sorts, just with different tuning and maybe differing in technicals here and there, so it really depends what your preferred sound signature and music genres are.

Thank you both for the prompt reply......appreciate it....:pray:
In term of staging which one is better ? I also like the staging feel of QT2...

Yes as @baskingshark mentioned, they are more sidegrades, and preference based IEM that suits your genre better. ZSX and V90 is upgrades to V80 and ZS10 (because of V80 mid bass bleed and sibilance, and ZS10 weird tonality, mid bass bleed, and high mids peaks - I assumed you are writing correctly the original ZS10, not the ZS10 Pro)

ZSX more balance than V90, if youre basshead, v90 have more sub bass and punchy midbass, but they are V shaped thus mids will be recessed but on top highs, V90 more sparkling than ZSX.
V90 have better trebles extension and crispiness that i like (that goes same and even slightly better in BA5) but can be tiring for some people

Soundstage is very good with both of them, you cant go wrong, with separation and details also. Mids detail more pronounced in ZSX, while treble details sounded effortless on V90, technicalities I can say on par on both of them.

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #22,875 of 31,833
Yes as @baskingshark mentioned, they are more sidegrades, and preference based IEM that suits your genre better. ZSX and V90 is upgrades to V80 and ZS10 (because of V80 mid bass bleed and sibilance, and ZS10 weird tonality, mid bass bleed, and high mids peaks - I assumed you are writing correctly the original ZS10, not the ZS10 Pro)

ZSX more balance than V90, if youre basshead, v90 have more sub bass and punchy midbass, but they are V shaped thus mids will be recessed but on top highs, V90 more sparkling than ZSX.
V90 have better trebles extension and crispiness that i like (that goes same and even slightly better in BA5) but can be tiring for some people

Soundstage is very good with both of them, you cant go wrong, with separation and details also. Mids detail more pronounced in ZSX, while treble details sounded effortless on V90, technicalities I can say on par on both of them.

Mine is old zs10 (not pro) and yes its mid bass bleed & bulky which I don't like....

Base on current recommendations I just order V90 for EDM (basshead) and Blon BL03 for accoustic (soundstage/staging) purposes....hope my selection's is correct :fingers_crossed::beyersmile::ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back