CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 20, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #22,846 of 31,833
You tried all 9 filter combinations?

Yes I did. But that was before I took the mesh filters out (which are responsible for the different tunings) and stuck them onto various other IEMs. Also, did you know that you can use the ED9 bronze filters on the Nine Tail as well? They improve the overall dynamics of the sound.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #22,847 of 31,833
@NeonHD "Veiled mids" and "recessed treble with little detail" seems so different from what I hear, it's like describing a completely different iem really.

Maybe your filters got clogged or something. Also you should check if dirt, some other debris or moist got into the driver chamber. On both sides.

Assuming drivers and filters are ok upon inspection I'd start serious source, cable, tip and filter rolling as you are missing out on a great iem.

Gl buddy.

Mea culpa. Maybe I should have made it clear that I was not using the back filters, which caused the bass to become unconstrained.

After putting on the back filters (which BTW are modded with micropore tape), the bass became nicely controlled, and the highs gained brilliance (albeit still with average details).

After doing that, I gave them a listen again and genuinely enjoyed the rich detailed mids. Guess I won't be selling these after all.

An updated final final impressions will be coming soon if you're interested.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #22,848 of 31,833
TONEKING Nine Tail
MY FINAL FINAL IMPRESSIONS/REVIEW AFTER 6 MONTHS

Note 1: please disregard my last impressions as they did not include the fact that I had the back filters removed. This review is based on with the back filters attached.

Note 2: Filter effects won't be included in this review as they're currently useless from all the modding I did to them. Besides, all they change is the amount of bass, nothing else.

wbm4yVk.jpg

PREAMBLE:
So after a lengthy love/hate relationship with these IEMs, I finally ended up loving these, while also accepting its flaws. The debate of selling these was finally settled once I gave them another listen.

First off, these are not for folks who want a spacious 3D soundstage and detailed extended treble. These are for those who care most about the lows and mids, and want to hear the body and soul of their music (as opposed to the "spirit", I guess).

Second off, I would like to point out that the
KZ ED9 filters are actually compatible with the Nine Tail. I am using these with the ED9 bronze nozzle filters and it honestly improves the overall dynamics of the sound. So for any Nine Tail users who also own the ED9, I highly recommend trying the bronze filter on them (and block the vent if you want more bass).

XL4BMJX.jpg

▲ NINE TAIL WITH KZ BRONZE FILTER

BUILD IMPRESSIONS:

Well what can I say? They look like Gourds! Very sturdy and well-built gourds, that is. The odd but whimsical design choice makes putting the Nine Tail into your ears rather unintuitive and requires a bit of a learning curve. You'll instinctively want to put the long round end into your ears, forgetting that the nozzle is actually placed perpendicular to the body. And once you pop them off, you will have a very tough time trying to figure out which is left or right again, as the shape gives no clear indication, nor are there any L-R symbols to be seen.

SOUND IMPRESSIONS:

• The sound signature is generally L-shaped. It is noticeably darker compared to other chi-fi offerings.
  • The bass is very impactful and has quite a vigorous punch. Sub-bass rumbles with authority, while the mid-bass fills everything with visceral punch and warmth. Overall the entire bass frequency range is boldly emphasized, but yet strays away from becoming too muddy.
  • The mids are the body and soul of the Nine Tail. They are incredibly thick, filled with juicy texture and rich flavor. Tonally wise, they sound relatively natural and convey a sense of realism with instruments and percussion. Overall, I would describe the mids as sweet and fluffy, like cotton candy.
  • The treble is overall relaxed and inoffensive, however users coming from a V-shaped sound sig will initially find them to be very dark. The polite treble will take some time to get used to, but it makes for a truly enjoyable experience, as you don't have to worry about any harsh or sibilant peaks. It's just you and the music. Besides, there is still a small lift in the upper treble just to keep things from sounding dark and muddy.
  • Soundstage is the Ninetail's weakness. It is noticeably intimate, especially when compared to something like the Shuoer Tape.
  • Imaging on the other hand is great. Sounds fill the stage with spatial precision, which wards off any feelings of "two-dimensionality".
  • Separation is pretty exceptional. Instruments are well segmented from each other. However it's important to note that the huge bass response might hinder the separation.
  • The overall resolution is higher than—say—the BLON BL03, but lower than—say—the Shuoer Tape or the NiceHCK M6. That should give you a general benchmark.

VERDICT:
Overall I believe these are a decent set of IEMs depending on the music you listen to. These are perfect when you just wanna kick-back and unwind from a tired day, when you don't care about soundstage and when you only want your music. Their mellow mid-centric sound makes for an enjoyable easygoing experience with your music. And likewise, mid-centric music benefits the most (pop, soul, or lo-fi chill-hop, NOT jazz or rock). So whenever your ears crave for rich luscious mids and nothing else, these will make you satisfied.

While I may not use these as often as my other IEMs, I definitely see myself grabbing these when I'm at home just chilling, or whenever I have the case of "treble fever" and want something relaxed.

0RgQDnl.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #22,849 of 31,833
Hey guys,

I currently own a pair of ATH-M40x cans and am looking for something more portable (preferably IEMs). I'll be using this mostly for taking calls, listening to podcasts and music (Pop, Jazz, Indie, Bollywood, Classic Rock, Instrumental and Electronic) on the go, using my phone/Macbook.

I'm open to both wired and wireless options and have no preference for any particular brand as long as it's a great value for money.

Looking forward to your recommendations :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #22,850 of 31,833
Yes, I feel the same. I have Shuoer Tape, Tin T4 and many others but I go back to the BA5 as well. It's brilliant for classical music and with the Faaeal Hibiscus cable the bass gains a little extra depth.
I see you have Shuoer Tape, Tin T4 & TRN V90 which one is having the best / wide soundstage (I'm looking for the ie800 cheaper replacement)

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #22,851 of 31,833
I see you have Shuoer Tape, Tin T4 & TRN V90 which one is having the best / wide soundstage (I'm looking for the ie800 cheaper replacement)
Of those three, and with my source, the Shuoer Tape has the best soundstage. T4 is next, then V90.

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #22,852 of 31,833
TONEKING Nine Tail

Second off, I would like to point out that the [/SIZE]KZ ED9 filters are actually compatible with the Nine Tail. I am using these with the ED9 bronze nozzle filters and it honestly improves the overall dynamics of the sound. So for any Nine Tail users who also own the ED9, I highly recommend trying the bronze filter on them (and block the vent if you want more bass).

Since the Monoprice MP80 filters work on the KZ ED9 and vice versa, I can infer that if the KZ ED9 Filters work on the Nine Tail, so can the MP80's. Now, that's a pleasant thought.

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #22,853 of 31,833
Yes I did. But that was before I took the mesh filters out (which are responsible for the different tunings) and stuck them onto various other IEMs. Also, did you know that you can use the ED9 bronze filters on the Nine Tail as well? They improve the overall dynamics of the sound.

Since the Monoprice MP80 filters work on the KZ ED9 and vice versa, I can infer that if the KZ ED9 Filters work on the Nine Tail, so can the MP80's. Now, that's a pleasant thought.

Just an update/PSA on this.

The ED9 and MP80 filters are interchangeable with one another. However, the ED9 and MP80 filters are NOT compatible with the Toneking NineTail!

The filters on all 3 earphones are the same diameter, but they are not the same thread pitch. The ED9 and MP80 use a fine thread pitch, and the NineTail uses a coarse thread pitch.

If you are not familiar with the machining/hardware terminology, here is a simple photo illustrating the difference between fine and coarse thread pitch. The 2 bolts below are exactly the same diameter, but as you can see the bolt on the left has the threads cut in a much finer (closer) configuration. Coarse and fine threads are incompatible with one another; you cannot/should not screw a fine thread bolt into a coarse hole/nut, and vice versa (or you’re gonna have a bad day).

481E69E6-F5F0-43CF-A6CC-6AD8E214765C.jpeg

The threads on the ED9/MP80 filters look like the bolt on the left, and the threads on the NineTail filters look like the bolt on the right.

Forcing the ED9/MP80 filter into the NineTail (or the NineTail filters into the ED9/MP80) will result in stripping the threads on the filter, the earphone, or both.

I know it seems like the ED9 filter ‘fits’, and that it is screwing down tight. But that false sense of tightness is simply the threads being mangled/stripped!

The ED9 filters are brass, and the NineTail is aluminum. Both are soft metals, which allow this to happen. However, once the threads are stripped, you’re screwed because it’s irreversible. Doh!

I tested the filters from the ED9 v1 and v2 in case KZ changed the thread size, and the results were the same. All revisions of ED9 and MP80 filters have the same (fine) thread pitch, and unfortunately all are incompatible with the NineTail.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #22,854 of 31,833
Not seeing much about the Urbanfun iss014. It's a weird model number and not always easy to remember, but they are a really interesting IEM. The shell is made of fairly solid stainless steel but they are not large. Beryllium DD driver. The cable I have is a pinkish white MMCX and it's not too bad and doesn't tangle very much. After a lot of hard work I got the JVC Spiral Dots L on. A very strong point on them is a very differentiated bass that does give a feel of sub bass. It's not bloated and as I said has good definition. Treble is good too in timbre, which is where many IEMs fail to me. Listening to Tamiditin Tan Ufrawan and Imidiwan Ma Tennam by Tinariwen, call and response (Oh Africa what great music you make) with the volume up a bit, the timbre is in the Blon 03 league. They seem to have gone up in price recently though. I love them. What do others think, it's gone quiet on them?

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #22,855 of 31,833
Not seeing much about the Urbanfun iss014. It's a weird model number and not always easy to remember, but they are a really interesting IEM. The shell is made of fairly solid stainless steel but they are not large. Beryllium DD driver. The cable I have is a pinkish white MMCX and it's not too bad and doesn't tangle very much. After a lot of hard work I got the JVC Spiral Dots L on. A very strong point on them is a very differentiated bass that does give a feel of sub bass. It's not bloated and as I said has good definition. Treble is good too in timbre, which is where many IEMs fail to me. Listening to Tamiditin Tan Ufrawan and Imidiwan Ma Tennam by Tinariwen, call and response (Oh Africa what great music you make) with the volume up a bit, the timbre is in the Blon 03 league. They seem to have gone up in price recently though. I love them. What do others think, it's gone quiet on them?

As I've said a while back, everybody needs a pair of these. I like them better than KB Ear Diamond, Tin T4, Periodic Be and ER2SE. I got all these after the UrbanFun and they are all IMO more or less on par with it technically aside from the Ety which lacks extension both ends and none managed to displace it from my current favorite spot, great tuning, I love it.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #22,856 of 31,833

I love mine, despite the defective mmcx jack. That problem has been corrected though, and my new pair passed through Chicago 2 days ago. I hope to have them in my hands by the EOW.

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #22,857 of 31,833
I love mine, despite the defective mmcx jack. That problem has been corrected though, and my new pair passed through Chicago 2 days ago. I hope to have them in my hands by the EOW.

Be interesting to see how your new pair stand up to the first ones. I'm a bit surprised these haven't been up there with the Blon 03 lovers. They are definitely tuned for Western ears.

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #22,858 of 31,833
Be interesting to see how your new pair stand up to the first ones. I'm a bit surprised these haven't been up there with the Blon 03 lovers. They are definitely tuned for Western ears.

I guess the MMCX QC issues as well as an uncertainty relating to retuning for a second batch are responsible for the little uptake so far but all those who have them seem to love them.

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #22,859 of 31,833
I guess the MMCX QC issues as well as an uncertainty relating to retuning for a second batch are responsible for the little uptake so far but all those who have them seem to love them.

That’s my belief as well.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #22,860 of 31,833
I know it's probably been mentioned already, but the KZ ZS10 Pro ($40-$50) are a stellar set of IEMs for their price. Reviews typically give them very high marks, and even stacked up against midrange IEMs that I have they are a solid budget contender (in my experience). For bassheads, and anyone searching for a wider soundstage, plus they are quite compact for a 5BA + 1DD build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back