CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 23, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #22,876 of 31,834
FWIW there are 2 versions of the V90 and they do not sound the same.
IMG_20200119_220127-01-01.jpeg

V2 loses the subbass rumble and replaces it with a much faster, mid bass centric sound that's between ZSX and BA5, but keeps the DD texture/density (punchy). Treble is more extended than V1, mids still scooped but clearer because of the loss of warmth/bleed from the bass.
The V2 I picked up was clearly marked as a new version, and afaik V1 is not available in the "gunmetal" colour. Mine came from
AK Audio

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_220127-01-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200119_220127-01-01.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #22,877 of 31,834
Mine is old zs10 (not pro) and yes its mid bass bleed & bulky which I don't like....

Base on current recommendations I just order V90 for EDM (basshead) and Blon BL03 for accoustic (soundstage/staging) purposes....hope my selection's is correct :fingers_crossed::beyersmile::ksc75smile:

You cant go wrong with either of those. V90 is very capable for EDM and BL03 have realistic timbre for any genre but the soundstage and imaging is lost to v90 and zsx.
If you are going to have special iem for acoustic, the TRN BA5 is great with wide soundstage too for their price (sub bass a bit rolled off for this thats why if you are after a specialized IEM for acoustic with great soundstage, they will serve you well)

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #22,878 of 31,834
FWIW there are 2 versions of the V90 and they do not sound the same.

V2 loses the subbass rumble and replaces it with a much faster, mid bass centric sound that's between ZSX and BA5, but keeps the DD texture/density (punchy). Treble is more extended than V1, mids still scooped but clearer because of the loss of warmth/bleed from the bass.
The V2 I picked up was clearly marked as a new version, and afaik V1 is not available in the "gunmetal" colour. Mine came from
AK Audio

I didn't know about this. Thanks for your information buddy. So from your description seems like the signature become closer to BA5 maybe more recessed mids but have DD instead of BA bass.

Do you prefer the v1 or v2?

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #22,879 of 31,834
The KZ ZSX is supposed to be the spiritual successor of the ZS10 Pro with better timbre and improvements, though some complain the fit is not as good as the ZS10 Pro.
Actually, ZSX fit is really great for me: still compact as ZS10pro, but more secure with the rib, very secure in place and gave surprusingly better isolation than C12 that is very close to larger shells, as A10, AS12 but without feeling the shells there :)

Very briefly, compared to C12, ZSX have a bit less treble and a bit more reserved bass, being less V/U and more midcentric.
So in between C12 and ZSX, for the treble, I am not sure which I prefer more; for the bass - ZSX fit my preferences better - the bass is there (e.g. the sub-bass in organ music) but less emphasized in mid-bass, giving mids more of a center stage.
I'll try to put more details in KZ thread after listening and comparing more.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #22,880 of 31,834
Actually, ZSX fit is really great for me: still compact as ZS10pro, but more secure with the rib, very secure in place and gave surprusingly better isolation than C12 that is very close to larger shells, as A10, AS12 but without feeling the shells there :)

Very briefly, compared to C12, ZSX have a bit less treble and a bit more reserved bass, being less V/U and more midcentric.
So in between C12 and ZSX, for the treble, I am not sure which I prefer more; for the bass - ZSX fit my preferences better - the bass is there (e.g. the sub-bass in organ music) but less emphasized in mid-bass, giving mids more of a center stage.
I'll try to put more details in KZ thread after listening and comparing more.

cant agree more with these. and yeah the fit of ZSX isn't that scary and actually they are smaller in real, i do agree that they perceive like a big set but actually not, just a little bigger than ZS10 pro but with protrude shell and larger face plate.
Btw made me keep wondering what is KZ and CCA doing these recent months, they have been so quiet aside from TWS set

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #22,881 of 31,834
I didn't know about this. Thanks for your information buddy. So from your description seems like the signature become closer to BA5 maybe more recessed mids but have DD instead of BA bass.

Do you prefer the v1 or v2?

Just A/Bd them again with some EDM faves :)

V1 is the classic, V2 is more upfront but I'm missing the bass more than I'm enjoying the extra clarity. Nice set though, and I've only given them 30 hours burn in so they may yet extend a little more down low (using Azla Sednas rather than Spiral Dots to help there). Compared to V1 they are definitely more fatiguing to listen to, but still tolerable over a couple of hours, at least for me. All impressions with the es100.

Bottom line, if I could only keep 1 it'd have to be V1. V2 is close but isn't as spacious / atmospheric / musical with dance tracks. For vocals I'm still reaching for BA5 and KBear Diamonds. ZSX is the one it's competing with at the moment in terms of technicalities and presentation/sound stage, with ZSX sounding a bit more relaxed and V2 a bit punchier.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #22,882 of 31,834

V1 is the classic, V2 is more upfront but I'm missing the bass more than I'm enjoying the extra clarity. Nice set though, and I've only given them 30 hours burn in so they may yet extend a little more down low (using Azla Sednas rather than Spiral Dots to help there). Compared to V1 they are definitely more fatiguing to listen to, but still tolerable over a couple of hours, at least for me. All impressions with the es100.

Bottom line, if I could only keep 1 it'd have to be V1. V2 is close but isn't as spacious / atmospheric / musical with dance tracks. For vocals I'm still reaching for BA5 and KBear Diamonds. ZSX is the one it's competing with at the moment in terms of technicalities and presentation/sound stage, with ZSX sounding a bit more relaxed and V2 a bit punchier.

Thanks for the comparison and nice info, so new buyer should be careful now since there are 2 version of V90

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #22,883 of 31,834
Love Original V90 and also ZSX. Terrific earphones in the smaller division. Music sounds so good in these.

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #22,885 of 31,834

So in term of soundstage which one is better ? ZSX, BA5 or V90 or any other suggestion with this price's range ?
I also had shuoer tape which for me have a good soundstage but can't work properly with my BT20s

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #22,886 of 31,834
I bought some New Bee tips to replace them, is the Spintip much longer than them?

Never tried New Bees, not a foam fan, but maybe the rest can advise.

Haven't used New Bees in a bit but I believe a CP145 is longer, as are the dual-flange Spinfits. Final E type would be my go to in this specific case though, unless the nozzles are too wide for the Final stems.

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #22,887 of 31,834
So in term of soundstage which one is better ? ZSX, BA5 or V90 or any other suggestion with this price's range ?
I also had shuoer tape which for me have a good soundstage but can't work properly with my BT20s

I like all their soundstages, and they all have good presentation. BA5 and V90 are similar in width though they’re emphasising very different parts of the soundstage, so you get more impressions of height with BA5 and more depth with V90. ZSX is like this compressed holographic sphere of clarity. Very different tonally as well but just as engaging with the right tunes.

Not sure which I’d recommend, I’d like to understand what problem you’re trying to solve with the Tapes...unless it’s hiss/crackle, in which case avoid BA5s as they really don’t like dirty sources. They’re also rather revealing of poor mastering.

I will say that my hands down most listened to set since I’ve had them are my Diamonds. They’re honestly more like head speakers than iems in terms of ease of listening, and soundstage, and tonality. I’m actually right in the middle of talking myself into buying a back-up set!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #22,888 of 31,834
I recently asked you guys for advice on getting good quality, easy fitting IEMs. One advice was to try the TRN V90's, another was to try different tips (e.g. spinfits) and/or cables.

It took a lot of reading and going back and forth. I was in doubt about getting easy fit TRN V90's, or the highly recommended LZ A6 minis with spinfit tips. In the end I pulled the trigger on the V90's with complementary "silver cable" because of the price. Then, late in the evening after a couple of beers, I did exactly what I had promised myself NOT to do and ordered the LZ A6 Mini's and spinfits as well.

I'm a newby and lack the vocabulary to properly describe the sound signature and quality, but here are my noob impressions after a few hours of listening.

TRN V90 - I like everything about them.
Out of the box there were an immediate easy fit with good seal and isolation with the stock tips. The sound is great. It is a little bit more bass heavy than my KZ ZSNs, but I think V90s are still considered balanced.

LZ A6 Mini
I was positively surprised by the V90's and full of anticipation for the highly rated LZ A6 mini's, but initially... they were dissappointing.

At first I couldn't figure out which IEM went where. They aren't marked left/right. The fit wasn't very good, a lot of twisting and turning to get seal and isolation, but even then they sounded thin, even distant.

I then put on the spinfit tips that I bought also. It was a big difference. Fitting them now is way less fiddly (although nowhere as easy as the V90's). The thin sound actually turned out to be very clear and multilayered and I felt more immersed in the music than I have experienced so far. A bit like the difference between looking at a monitor and VR goggles, although not that extreme. Maybe it's just my imagination because I paid more money for the A6 Mini's, but with the A6 mini's I have a tendency to "explore the sound", rather than just listening and enjoying my favorite music with the V90's. But I think I now understand what the term soundstage means.

I'm really happy with both purchases. The V90's for great sound and excellent fit out of the box. These will be my on the go IEMs.

The LZ A6 mini introduce me to a new level of performance, but I still need very much to get used to the mini's. It's still a bit of twisting and turning before they sit well. Once done the seal is great, but the sound isolation is less than with the V90's, meaning I need to sit in a more quiet area to really enjoy the sound they are able to produce.

I don't think I will buying new IEMs for a while. I need to go through my music library with both and understand what I'm listening at.

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #22,889 of 31,834
I received my replacement Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 today.

The mmcx sockets on this pair work perfectly, the cable fits perfectly, and the sound is the same as the original ones. I love ‘em!

A special thanks to the UF Audio Store on Aliexpress for taking care of the problem (the official store of Urbanfun).

I didn’t even ask, I didn’t create an Aliexpress dispute, nothing. They just read about my issues and took it upon themselves to contact me and said they wanted to make it right.

They even opened the new pair and double checked them before shipping them, just to make sure everything was 100% perfect with no issues.

Now that’s customer service folks! I wish other companies went to those lengths.

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #22,890 of 31,834
I'm addicted to the Semkarch CNT-1.

I use it with the blue filter from the LZ A6 Mini for improved treble/soundstage with amazing results. The best tips IMO are the the Inverted Medium Starlines.
I've got that very rare feeling that "Music can't sound much better than this!"
How does the sound differ from a non-inverted Starline?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back