CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 14, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #11,431 of 31,847
Anyone tried the MEMT T5 ear bud, yet?

:point_right:...My favorite ear bud. Best I've heard so far!

Link...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...ic-Headset-Earbuds-for-Ipod/32854345191.html?

I have them for a month. What I like most is its hybrid form between an IEM and an earbud (apple copy ...). They are very comfortable and I would like other brands to explore the great possibilities that this design offers, perhaps varying the design a bit to prevent the rotation of the headset inside the auditory pavilion. Because this fact modifies the sound in a proportion that can be large.

As for construction is really good, the cable is better than the MEMT X5 model, but it is still somewhat rigid.

I use them with rubber cases because they fit me better and prevent rotation.

The sound is very warm, in line with other products that I have recently acquired, such as the Fiio FH1 and the Yincrow RW-9. They are warmer than the RW-9 and darker, they no offer the clarity in mids of Yincrow or Fiio. FH1 have more emphasis on the sub bass while the T5 mid-bass and low mids greater presence. Voices sound more natural and balanced on FH1, but more distant.
This design offers great presence of bass and subbass, not comparable with other typical earbuds. For my taste the voices are very present but they do not sound completely natural because they do not have any brightness. After 1KHz there is a large drop that isolates the voices creating this effect. On the other hand there is also a strong roll-off above 10KHz, this generates a lack of detail, nuances, separation and scene.
However the sound is not bad at all and I take them with me along with my QNGEE X2. I really like the sound and power of the bass, but I miss more naturalness in the mids and more definition/bright in general.

Hopefully new models will appear with this type of capsule with better sound.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #11,432 of 31,847
4. KZ ES4 (horrible, typical boomy KZ bass that gives me a headache. I tried to equalize with no effect)
Interesting... first bad impression about ES4.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #11,433 of 31,847
Guess it's very first bad review actually.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #11,434 of 31,847
listening to the ES4s through my runaboout and Z3 line out
it sounds a bit better
but the bass is still boomy enough to make it uncomfortable giving me a headache
vocals are great but the bass seem overpowering to me
its probably just me and the music I'm listening to

HD Tracks Greatest Audiophile Vocal Tracks
-The Girl from Ipanema
-Round Midnight with Kenny Rankin
-Isn't it a Pitty

HD Tracks Sampler 2001 Jazz and Classical
-Another Country with Cassandra Wilson
- Nikolai Rimsky-Koraskov Sheherazade (Wow this track sounds way better than all those above, orchestra well balanced)

sorry I'm not a pro and trying to bad mouth the IEM but I have had other KZs that sounded the same way
It seems to do well with strings/violin, vocals and the high end and its fast

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #11,435 of 31,847
4. KZ ES4 (horrible, typical boomy KZ bass that gives me a headache. I tried to equalize with no effect)
boy you should stay away from rose north forest they explode your brains out coz i never found bass on es4 to be boomy instead i liked the speed on those on the other hand rose north forest's mid and sub bass are both insane you can hear the deepest rumbles and these iems literally vibrate in ear, punch which you can feel the force but still i doesn't kill the mids which in itself is insane

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #11,436 of 31,847
I don't think you would be disappointed in the GGMM C700. I can't say for sure about isolation because that is not important to me and I don't ride public transport. Also, isolation will depend on the seal that you get... your choice of tips etc.

https://www.amazon.com/GGMM-Headpho...UTF8&qid=1528895301&sr=8-1&keywords=ggmm+c700

I love mids (and everything else) on these...they sound big somehow.

I see lots of love for those C700's going around, how do you like them compared to your ED16's?

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #11,437 of 31,847
I see lots of love for those C700's going around, how do you like them compared to your ED16's?

I have not had either long enough to compare. I have room in my life for both:) An IEM that does not go around my ear always has a physical advantage... I hate dealing with a cable around my ear... as I have said, it is a bit too much with long hair AND glasses. So points for the C700 in that respect. On the other hand, there just is something magical about the ED16. To further confuse things, I am loving these as well:

Artiste DC1...they sound huge!

10127455.jpg

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #11,438 of 31,847
To whom it may concern...

Received my Z5000 today. Not exactly what I was expecting. I was perhaps even a little afraid that the mid-bass might be just a tad too little, and that the Z5000 would forget about it while focusing only on the really low-low-end. Boy, was I wrong. It turns out that, at least to my ears, there appears to be too much mid-bass. It sounds like everything from like 0Hz to 600Hz was boosted quite significantly. The sub-bass is indeed fantastic but it still gets sometimes overwhelmed by everything above 100Hz being boosted just as much, if not even more so. And I thought the KZ ZS3 had some bass bleed into the mids. Silly me...

I'm generally a bit skeptical when it comes to burn-in, but I will try it with the Z5000.

I was thinking of also trying the Rose Aurora. Based on its frequency graph it looks like it should be closer to what I need. Too bad I couldn't find a graph for the Z5000.
I thought that at first too. That it was ONLY bass and mid bass. I only found out that they opened and livened up after much tip rolling. I ended up with double flange tips. Now, the bass is still huge - but in a way I personally like it.

The Z5000 really should come with other stock tips. Have you tried others yet?

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #11,439 of 31,847
I have not had either long enough to compare. I have room in my life for both:) An IEM that does not go around my ear always has a physical advantage... I hate dealing with a cable around my ear... as I have said, it is a bit too much with long hair AND glasses. So points for the C700 in that respect. On the other hand, there just is something magical about the ED16. To further confuse things, I am loving these as well:

Artiste DC1...they sound huge!

10127455.jpg

Great album BTW :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #11,440 of 31,847
He JUST got them. Is the unboxing even finished yet? Why do you always jump in with questions like that the second someone gets something? Sometimes I do not even mention new things that I get because of that. When people are ready to share their impressions, they will Are you a robot using some kind of random post generator? Just plug in names of iems and words like soundstage, bass, treble, clarity etc and press a button...

the-truth-has-been-spoken.jpg

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #11,441 of 31,847
I thought that at first too. That it was ONLY bass and mid bass. I only found out that they opened and livened up after much tip rolling. I ended up with double flange tips. Now, the bass is still huge - but in a way I personally like it.

The Z5000 really should come with other stock tips. Have you tried others yet?
It came with a "default" set (already mounted on the earphones) + 2 zip-lock bags containing 2 sets (3 pairs in each set). Apart from there being 3 different sizes of tips, they look the same. What I mean is. One set is black, the other one is silver/yellow. I don't see differences in shapes or materials in the corresponding sizes of tips. And I don't hear any difference in sound.

The abundance of boomy mid/upper bass in the Z5000 is making them sound dark, muddy, and slightly congested. I think this might be heresy but... I think that due to this exaggerated mid/upper bass these are one of the worst sounding earphones that I have, and I own the following: Creative EP630, Denon AH-C551, RHA MA750, Brainwavz M3, Brainwavz Jive, KZ ZS3, and Sony MDR-XB90EX. I've also owned Sony MDR-EX81 in the past. Now, I don't mind a warm-ish sound signature, after all my favourite headphones (the Creative Aurvana Live! have it), and heck, I don't mind the slightly dark-ish tonality of the XB90EX and ZS3, it makes them very forgiving of badly recorded songs. However, the Z5000 I feel go overboard. Again, I love bass but I prefer bass around the 40-90 Hz region. That is where I want the main boost to be done. Not everything up until 800 Hz or something. Listening to the Z5000 feels kind of like as if someone opened the equalizer, and dragged the entire left half of the sliders really high.

As I said, I am convinced that burn-in can be a real thing, however, I generally think that on average any changes to sound after burn-in are mild. So I am quite skeptical that these would change in such a way that I can actually start to enjoy them. And that is really sad, as their treble is decent and they do have amazing low-end extension.

Edit: I tried some tips that I have from the RHA MA750. The double-flange do indeed improve things a bit, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Edit #2: maybe I just need to start using them without using any other earphones. Eventually my ears and brain would adjust, you know, the other "burn-in", kind of like the audio version of a Stockholm syndrome.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #11,443 of 31,847
It came with a "default" set (already mounted on the earphones) + 2 zip-lock bags containing 2 sets (3 pairs in each set). Apart from there being 3 different sizes of tips, they look the same. What I mean is. One set is black, the other one is silver/yellow. I don't see differences in shapes or materials in the corresponding sizes of tips. And I don't hear any difference in sound.

The abundance of boomy mid/upper bass in the Z5000 is making them sound dark, muddy, and slightly congested. I think this might be heresy but... I think that due to this exaggerated mid/upper bass these are one of the worst sounding earphones that I have, and I own the following: Creative EP630, Denon AH-C551, RHA MA750, Brainwavz M3, Brainwavz Jive, KZ ZS3, and Sony MDR-XB90EX. I've also owned Sony MDR-EX81 in the past. Now, I don't mind a warm-ish sound signature, after all my favourite headphones (the Creative Aurvana Live! have it), and heck, I don't mind the slightly dark-ish tonality of the XB90EX and ZS3, it makes them very forgiving of badly recorded songs. However, the Z5000 I feel go overboard. Again, I love bass but I prefer bass around the 40-90 Hz region. That is where I want the main boost to be done. Not everything up until 800 Hz or something. Listening to the Z5000 feels kind of like as if someone opened the equalizer, and dragged the entire left half of the sliders really high.

As I said, I am convinced that burn-in can be a real thing, however, I generally think that on average any changes to sound after burn-in are mild. So I am quite skeptical that these would change in such a way that I can actually start to enjoy them. And that is really sad, as their treble is decent and they do have amazing low-end extension.

Edit: I tried some tips that I have from the RHA MA750. The double-flange do indeed improve things a bit, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Edit #2: maybe I just need to start using them without using any other earphones. Eventually my ears and brain would adjust, you know, the other "burn-in", kind of like the audio version of a Stockholm syndrome.
I used to think the Z5000 sounded awful when I first got it. Try some soft double-flanged tips and seal the back vents. That should brighten it up and alleviate the bass quite a bit.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #11,445 of 31,847
Seal them with what? Anything particular in mind?
I just use painter's tape and it works well. Masking tape also works. The treble comes to life with this mod, making them feel a lot less warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back