Check Out The Head-Fi Summer 2012 Buying Guide!
Jul 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #122 of 164
The guide is BEAUTIFUL and still manage to look very professional.

However, content-wise I am not very satisfied with it :

It should begin with some explanations of different type of head fi gears.
The pros and cons of closed vs open headphones, IEMs vs Headphones.
Why you want different headgears depending on the usage.
The basic of impedance and the need of amplifier in some cases.
Then go through the categories in descending / ascending order price wise.

Layout wise :
I'd recommend changing it into single page layout.
On a 23 inch 1080p widescreen I cant read both pages at once.
Make a larger single page version and letthose who want to
(and have the monitor for it) choose the Two Page View display

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #123 of 164
It was mentioned in the forward that the guide was intended for experienced users. There's plenty of beginners guides out there on the interwebz, although Jude could probably make the best one yet with his experience :wink: No turntables was sad though...

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #124 of 164
Now that Fostex's new flagship headphone TH900 has been added to the buying list, could you recommend some decent amps that would match nicely with it? From the TH900's low impedance specifications I think it would benefit greatly from an amp with low output impedance too. Any ideas?

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #131 of 164
Quote:
"which is the best headphone?"
What sort of question is that?  the whole premise of Head-Fi is that there is no best headphone.  It's all about what you want to use the headphones for.

Well I would think that would be a perfectly acceptable question to ask given that was his/her first post, and likely the first time looking into hifi gear in general. I basically asked a very similar question when I first joined, there's nothing wrong with that. The Head-Fi community kindly guided me in the right direction and look where I am now.

To elazar, if you're looking for a headphone that best suites you, I would recommend checking out this thread and asking the people there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #133 of 164
Awesome work Jude!

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #134 of 164
Quote:
hii....
can u tell me which hephone is best on ur point of view

The question leads to many other questions such as:

What is your budget?
How will you use your headphones- home, portable, etc.?
Do you prefer in-ear, on-ear or over-ear?
What type of music do you like?
What is important to you- bass, vocal detail, high end, etc.?

Also, the question is so subjective I would suggest to always try before you buy or make sure the place where you buy them accepts returns (even some companies that accept returns won't take back in-ears due to sanitary reasons).

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #135 of 164
I am new to this whole headphone obsession, and I am having a blast so far.  It is a little bit overwhelming to know where to start when looking for a new pair of headphones, and finding this site has been GREAT!!  I am really loving the buyer's guide - lots of helpful info and pics all in one place.  Thanks for all the hard work you all have put into it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back