Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Nov 5, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,111 of 3,873
If you are using Folder view, you don't need to perform the music scan option. You can add the song to any folder and be able to play that song by going through the folder tree at Folder view. You only need to scan the music library when you need to access the file from Album or Artist or Genre view.

AK is an Android based device, the N8 run on very different system architecture with reference to the SPK. N8 cannot replicate the user experience of Android based player but on the other hand, we are better on some aspect. For example, the start up time of SoC player is significantly faster then Android based device, and flipping through folder view is also very efficient with SoC player.
Yeah playing whatever songs added under folder view would not be an issue although total number of song's still not updated but like you said the metadata would be an issue..
I understand N8's based on different OS but I would say it wouldn't hurt to adopt whatever provide the best usability experience to customers, that is if feasible.
At least I can still agree this is a major show stopper.

If this is a show stopper, I wouldn't want to give you false hope, it won't be in the pipeline for a fairly long time.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 6, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,113 of 3,873
For two months Ive been demoing around 14 top daps. Lucky to be able to sit in a quiet room to play, compare one dap from the other. I brought two identical sd cards to play same track at the same time. So I bought this one.

20181106_194123.jpg
20181106_194133.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,114 of 3,873
For two months Ive been demoing around 14 top daps. Lucky to be able to sit in a quiet room to play, compare one dap from the other. I brought two identical sd cards to play same track at the same time. So I bought this one.

Thank you for your support, you must like what you heard today. Evaluated 14 DAPs over 2 months and finally go for N8? That's an amazing endorsement.

I am sure someone will ask whether you have tried this and that, with what firmware etc etc, so I'll leave these detail out for the moment. I only have one question that I hope you don't mind: what are the criteria (and priorities) when you evaluated the 14 DAPs? What exactly are you looking for?

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #1,115 of 3,873
Thank you for your support, you must like what you heard today. Evaluated 14 DAPs over 2 months and finally go for N8? That's an amazing endorsement.

I am sure someone will ask whether you have tried this and that, with what firmware etc etc, so I'll leave these detail out for the moment. I only have one question that I hope you don't mind: what are the criteria (and priorities) when you evaluated the 14 DAPs? What exactly are you looking for?
Well, Im 52 years old and have been into music and audio since 1983. Learning what I like, what for me is "music " has evolved. Most of the high end daps sounds really good but they also sound very close. Some have this or that but not this. The N8 had a open sound, it had a big seperation between the instruments. It is very detailed while staying musical, the N8 was also very deep while staying very wide. This is what stood out to me. I demoed the N8 three times and its sound was always above all the other daps, but I live in Hong Kong and really wanted a smaller dap. I wanted a smaller dap because Im walking, jumping in trains and getting in taxis 3 hours everyday, but I already have smaller daps and I also have the great Hugo and Ifi Black amp so why did I buy the N8 ? I tried hard to like the smaller daps but the sound from the N8 kept me coming back. I bought the N8 for one reason the sound , it stood out from what I have, had and demoed. I played : Jazz, Rock, Metal, Indie, Breaks, Pop, Punk music and the N8 sounded fantastic.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,117 of 3,873
Well, Im 52 years old and have been into music and audio since 1983. Learning what I like, what for me is "music " has evolved. Most of the high end daps sounds really good but they also sound very close. Some have this or that but not this. The N8 had a open sound, it had a big seperation between the instruments. It is very detailed while staying musical, the N8 was also very deep while staying very wide. This is what stood out to me. I demoed the N8 three times and its sound was always above all the other daps, but I live in Hong Kong and really wanted a smaller dap. I wanted a smaller dap because Im walking, jumping in trains and getting in taxis 3 hours everyday, but I already have smaller daps and I also have the great Hugo and Ifi Black amp so why did I buy the N8 ? I tried hard to like the smaller daps but the sound from the N8 kept me coming back. I bought the N8 for one reason the sound , it stood out from what I have, had and demoed. I played : Jazz, Rock, Metal, Indie, Breaks, Pop, Punk music and the N8 sounded fantastic.

N8 feels like a desktop system in a portable DAP.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,118 of 3,873
N8 feels like a desktop system in a portable DAP.
Totally agree, its a solid metal tank. Lets see how it will be talking it with me for three hours.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #1,119 of 3,873

enjoy man, i know that when you buy something then it must be dam good

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #1,121 of 3,873

Wow 14 Daps in 2 months in a quite room with 2 identical micro sd. I have to visit Hong Kong one day.

Do you still have your Beat Audio Billow? I remember that you bought two. That is a cable that I would like to hear.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,122 of 3,873
Wow 14 Daps in 2 months in a quite room with 2 identical micro sd. I have to visit Hong Kong one day.

Do you still have your Beat Audio Billow? I remember that you bought two. That is a cable that I would like to hear.
Loved that cable but I moved onto headphones so sold them. Beat Audio has a newer one and you can demo that one.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,123 of 3,873
@Andykong

Can you please confirm that N8 plays DTS format and cue file? I wont be able to test it since there is no shop nearby selling N8.

My 1Z cannot play DTS and cue so I bought Dx200 and Dx200Ti to play DTS and cue. Thanks.

N8 supports cue file and DTS encoded WAV file.

201809301042376524.jpg

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,124 of 3,873
20181107_014648.jpg
Not good pic but here you can see the Tube amp on. Two rectangle lights at the bottom of the screen.
20181107_014716.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,125 of 3,873

Sounds like we need a US Head-Fi tour so we can hear it ourselves and see how it pairs with our own gear in a quiet relaxed home environment. I would be happy to host it if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back