Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 30, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,081 of 3,873
Oooo to much variables...eq., Amp....i love both the 1z and sp1000cu without any of that...but at this stage is a question of marriage between the dap and the fostex, maybe with other headphone you like more with the LPGT, and i don't believe that the r6 is better than the LPGT....
Well in this hobby what one loves another doesnt. I demoed with an amp and without an amp. People believe in many things and others can actually find out for themselves. Another variable is music styles. I dont like listening to a woman singing on a piano. Which iem should I try with these daps? I can try every pretty much any iem. What is your styles of music ? I demoed a few headphones awhile back on the R6. When I had the Lotoo Paw I used a few headphones such as : Utopia, T1 , and T5. So you looking for another dap besides the daps you love ?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,082 of 3,873
I like woman and i like piano...them together if the recording makes them justice i sure i will love it...i am sure that the n8 is a great Dap a top one, keep calm, i love the 1Z and the sp1000, i had so many in the past...i don't mind having the n8 too

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #1,083 of 3,873
FYI to anyone that want to audition the N8 before buy, musicteck currently have in stock, you pay for it now and once you return they will refund you the full amount, you pay postage both way, they device brand new still in plastic wrap, hurry before it out

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #1,084 of 3,873
I dont like listening to a woman singing on a piano.

Mate, you are a misogynistic testa di cazzo who thinks just buying expensive equipment makes you some sort of authority on the subject when in fact the opposite is the case.

So, are you going to buy 6 of these and tell us all repeatably how you use them on the go for 6 hours a day??

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #1,085 of 3,873
Mate, you are a misogynistic testa di cazzo who thinks just buying expensive equipment makes you some sort of authority on the subject when in fact the opposite is the case.

So, are you going to buy 6 of these and tell us all repeatably how you use them on the go for 6 hours a day??
You are correct . Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. You never will forget me. Yes if I want I can shell out the cash.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,086 of 3,873
Just came from A1futureshop, which is only less than an hour away from me. N8 is a hot commodity and finding it this closeby me is just a little surreal.
I'll keep it short, the 1.1 FW has reduced the warmth sonic characteristic of the 4.4mm out.
The key sonic characteristic of N8 is how good the vocal timbre of various audiophile recording can sound. However, for me, the key feature of this DAP is the 3.5mm NuTube output. It soundstage is very natural and mature, something that one expects from a high-end tube setup. Sadly the ting noise that I hear from my NT-1 is still audible, I think it is something that plagues the Nu-Tube and is basically part of it, and just requires a lot of fine-tuning to illuminate completely.
The 4.4mm was also noisy but it is basically inaudible once music is playing.
Overall feeling regarding size: Do I like the N8 or the LPGT? Well, they are both too heavy to be something I consider feasible for daily commuting. N8 gets warm and I suspect it can get too warm for a tropical region. LPGT while still smaller and slightly lighter also isn't small enough for me to consider a feasible player for daily commuting. Basically, the only size I think is feasible for portable usage is DAP the size of AK120.
LPGT is basically the best Solid-State DAP out which has an excellent single ended and Pentaconn output. Ihas a lot of power and a slight tilt towards the warmer side and power to drive anything.

Who would want N8: Those who like the sound of the naturalness of tube amp without sounding too wet, or 'tubey', will love the N8. There isn't out there that does what N8 does. So if that is the sound you like you only have one and for now only one choice, the N8.
The price: Is it worth it? Who can say, for me sadly no? Despite how much I like the sound, and how capable it is, for the same reason, I did not like the SP1000 family, they are too big to be portable, and they cost the same as HUGOII which is basically on a different level than all the current high-end DAPs in the market. If you can carry the N8 or the LPGT or anything else of that size, you can easily carry the HUGO II and just use your phone, which now-days everyone has.
If Cayin can release a new dap, a simpler version of N8 which focuses only on the NuTube section, and price it in the more affordable region I will revisit this family, but at the price of the 4499 AUD (3200 USD) my money goes to HUGO II and use the spare cash and buy myself a decent IEM/headphone or better music albums.

My current favourite DAP: I find WM1A the best value, it has this holographic sound that I don't hear in any other dap. It is also not as portable as I like it to be but after the latest FW update for me, it has become the best value/feature packed DAP an audiophile can ask for. But my current reference DAP is still LPG which is slowly getting replaced by QLS QA361 which basically a DAP that an audiophile designs who happen to be an engineer.

Edit: I do not own the HUGO II, I'm prefectly happy with my first gen HUGO, and I disliked and own Chord Mojo, N8 sounds much better than Mojo.

Hi mate,
I heard the wm1z and found it lacked on soundstage was to warmy and mossing the treble shiness.
Would the 1a be better? In my understanding the 1z is way higher quality dap than 1a. So i guess it would be worse right?

For me LPGT is the best of all daps ever even if price is high. It has best ui and software. Very high quality tuning including hiss free environment wich is a most have for me.

I haven't heard it yet I just speak of what I see and read from others. Soon il pay a visit to musitek and audition n8 and lpgt and do an a/b comparison.

I own Empire ears Phantom with ares 2 8wire cable 4.4mm.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,087 of 3,873
Hi mate,
I heard the wm1z and found it lacked on soundstage was to warmy and mossing the treble shiness.
Would the 1a be better? In my understanding the 1z is way higher quality dap than 1a. So i guess it would be worse right?

For me LPGT is the best of all daps ever even if price is high. It has best ui and software. Very high quality tuning including hiss free environment wich is a most have for me.

I haven't heard it yet I just speak of what I see and read from others. Soon il pay a visit to musitek and audition n8 and lpgt and do an a/b comparison.

Nice short review and comparison between B8 and LPGT.
IMO if I get extra cash I would go with LPGT which looks elegantly but for now I am enjoying the DX200TI and mod amp8 connected via Ares II 8wire and Eros II 8wire. Will get the Phantoms in the future. :smile_phones:

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,088 of 3,873
Well, I called that picture N8^2, right? :wink:

dap is on loan for review, spending more time listening to it now...

I saw the iem n8 has a technology to compensate for the missmatch of the output impedances and vise virsa. Does that kill the hiss on the n8 dap?

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,089 of 3,873
IMO if I get extra cash I would go with LPGT which looks elegantly but for now I am enjoying the DX200TI and mod amp8 connected via Ares II 8wire and Eros II 8wire. Will get the Phantoms in the future. :smile_phones:

Haha hey sup. I see you updated your profile picture. Well you got a super combo there dx208ti and the new ibasso headphones. woooohooo :)

Yea I stick with my dx208 for now and it still hiss lol even after a swap of my pcb to a brand new one.

The 3 only top end daps I have on my mind is n8 , lpgt, dx200ti.... Some reason i dont feel going into ak daps hmmm. I hate the 2.5mm

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,090 of 3,873
Haha hey sup. I see you updated your profile picture. Well you got a super combo there dx208ti and the new ibasso headphones. woooohooo :)

Yea I stick with my dx208 for now and it still hiss lol even after a swap of my pcb to a brand new one.

The 3 only top end daps I have on my mind is n8 , lpgt, dx200ti.... Some reason i dont feel going into ak daps hmmm. I hate the 2.5mm

I really don’t like the AK DAPs except the AK100II which is paired up with Mojo.

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #1,091 of 3,873

He said he haven't heard either one yet and planning to visit musicteck to audition it. Only then you will have a "nice short review and comparison" :wink:

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,092 of 3,873
I saw the iem n8 has a technology to compensate for the missmatch of the output impedances and vise virsa. Does that kill the hiss on the n8 dap?

All the latest 64audio iems with LIT tech, just like TheCustomArt iems with FIBAE, have crossover design which shouldn't change sound sig of IEM regardless of OI of the source. But it doesn't kill the hiss if the monitor is sensitive and prone to it. N8 CIEMs are quiet with all the sources, to my ears, but then you got super sensitive ears bro :wink:

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,093 of 3,873
Hi mate,

What firmware did you hear on 1z? The latest firmware 3.0 has much bigger soundstage which closer to my dx200ti (lurker add m-on with oreo v2). 1z on previous firmwares are much warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back