Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Nov 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,126 of 3,873
Mr Mills, can any of the other portable gear that you have tried (even when combined) compete with the N8?

Do you think that the DAC chip is a big part of the SQ?

Do you see the valve amp aspect as a real everyday option or just a quirky option to have?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,127 of 3,873
Mr Mills, can any of the other portable gear that you have tried (even when combined) compete with the N8?

Do you think that the DAC chip is a bit part of the SQ?

Do you see the valve amp aspect as a real everyday option or just a quirky option to have?
It competes with my Hugo 2 and Ifi Black. I can say it pretty much sounds better than all the daps I have, had, used and demoed. I heard these dacs before but it sounds different in this dap so they did something different inside. The Tube Amp really does have its own sound but its pretty clear and detailed as the solud state amp. It gives a warmth to the music. The N8 really shined in the mids and vocals , every word is sung is clear and upfront.

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,130 of 3,873
Sounds like we need a US Head-Fi tour so we can hear it ourselves and see how it pairs with our own gear in a quiet relaxed home environment. I would be happy to host it if you like.

This would be amazing. Quite curious how it compares to my SPKm.

Agreed. It would be perfect for head-fiers who are interested in listening then probably having a chance to get one. :wink:

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,131 of 3,873
It competes with my Hugo 2 and Ifi Black. I can say it pretty much sounds better than all the daps I have, had, used and demoed. I heard these dacs before but it sounds different in this dap so they did something different inside. The Tube Amp really does have its own sound but its pretty clear and detailed as the solud state amp. It gives a warmth to the music. The N8 really shined in the mids and vocals , every word is sung is clear and upfront.
I'm sold place order now:ksc75smile:

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,132 of 3,873

That sounds like typical tube coloration.. most DAPs are SS so it is not surprising that N8 sounds different than other flagships. I enjoy a tube flavor on certain genres but given that tubes introduce distortion, albeit harmonic, I can't imagine the N8 is as resolving and transparent compared to an SS counterparts. Nonetheless I am still curious to find out w/ my own ears. I realize N8 is a DAP but would assume it sounds similar to the Woo WA8 or ALO CDM in terms of portable units.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,133 of 3,873
Totally agree, its a solid metal tank. Lets see how it will be talking it with me for three hours.
Was actually in Japan for a week recently and since I was traveling alone, had a lot of time to listen to the N8 while walking around different parts of Osaka and Kyoto. I had the dap inside a messenger bag the whole time and controlled it via the mobile app which was super convenient. Although the device does get quite warm after extended use, it didn't affect its performance. Also got into the habit of topping off the battery a bit whenever I sat down for a meal to make sure that there was enough power to last me until I got back to the hotel.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,134 of 3,873
Was actually in Japan for a week recently and since I was traveling alone, had a lot of time to listen to the N8 while walking around different parts of Osaka and Kyoto. I had the dap inside a messenger bag the whole time and controlled it via the mobile app which was super convenient. Although the device does get quite warm after extended use, it didn't affect its performance. Also got into the habit of topping off the battery a bit whenever I sat down for a meal to make sure that there was enough power to last me until I got back to the hotel.

Were you controlling it through HibyLink from HibyMusic on your phone?

When you keep N8 inside your bag or a jacket pocket for an extended use, it's better to use Key Lock feature and Lock the volume, play/pause, and up/down skip. This way you don't have to worry about controlling N8 blind in your pocket or accidental track skip or play/pause when it's tossing around your bag. Fire up Hiby Music on your phone, turn on HibyLink client, enable HibyLink on N8, search and connect. Then, just like with any HibyLink enabled device, you can control volume, play/pause, fast forward/back, and track skip remotely from your phone.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,135 of 3,873
That sounds like typical tube coloration.. most DAPs are SS so it is not surprising that N8 sounds different than other flagships. I enjoy a tube flavor on certain genres but given that tubes introduce distortion, albeit harmonic, I can't imagine the N8 is as resolving and transparent compared to an SS counterparts. Nonetheless I am still curious to find out w/ my own ears. I realize N8 is a DAP but would assume it sounds similar to the Woo WA8 or ALO CDM in terms of portable units.

Yep, Korg NuTube gives you that warmer, more musical, fuller body coloration. That's your Mr Hyde side :wink: But then, you can switch to Dr Jekyll with its Solid State amp output for a cleaner and more transparent sound :D

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,136 of 3,873
Were you controlling it through HibyLink from HibyMusic on your phone?

When you keep N8 inside your bag or a jacket pocket for an extended use, it's better to use Key Lock feature and Lock the volume, play/pause, and up/down skip. This way you don't have to worry about controlling N8 blind in your pocket or accidental track skip or play/pause when it's tossing around your bag. Fire up Hiby Music on your phone, turn on HibyLink client, enable HibyLink on N8, search and connect. Then, just like with any HibyLink enabled device, you can control volume, play/pause, fast forward/back, and track skip remotely from your phone.
Yup, was using the HibyMusic app on my phone, was really convenient not having to pull the DAP out of the bag for changing tracks, volume etc...I had the play/pause button locked. Really wished there was an option to lock all three functions and not just one of them.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #1,137 of 3,873
Yup, was using the HibyMusic app on my phone, was really convenient not having to pull the DAP out of the bag for changing tracks, volume etc...I had the play/pause button locked. Really wished there was an option to lock all three functions and not just one of them.

What fw rev are you running? In FW 1.1 you have an option to lock/unlock individually Volume, Play/Pause, and Up/Down skip.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #1,138 of 3,873
You can lock all of them for sure. Since V1.1 we allow the users to set keylock independently, you don't have to stick with predefined combinations.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 6, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,139 of 3,873
This would be amazing. Quite curious how it compares to my SPKm.
Better vocals and wider sound stage while never sounding cold.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,140 of 3,873
Has 2 amps. You can use just the ss amp. But this tube is as clear as all the A&K daps but slightly more analog sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back