Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Nov 9, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,156 of 3,873
What a top shelf review

You must be exhausted mate

i hope cayin gives you one or a sweet deep discount Its deserved

" N8 offers 128GB of internal storage and micro-SD card expansion with up to 512GB (more flash cards supporting it now). Plus, you can add storage via USB OTG."

Does this mean i can plug some other form of a storage device into it and play music from that device ?

Ie: such as my external usb hard drives ? or ? (Im guessing not because they are all 3-8 TB in size

Is HibyLink just for my android phone ? Or can i also use my windows tablet with HibyLink?

I'm having an issue with my usb-c/usb OTG adapter (cheap $2 from ebay) so can't test it with external hard drive now, but it worked once before with USB stick. Perhaps Andy can chime in to confirm what does or doesn't work.

I'm using Galaxy S9, but noticed that HIbyMusic is also available on iTunes, so maybe HibyLink can work with iPhone. HibyLink establishes the connection between your smartphone or tablet running HibyMusic using Bluetooth protocol, giving you remote control of the connected device. It's very convenient when you have your N8 in a pocket or a bag/backpack, or if you are using N8 as a transport with you desktop setup (for example, utilizing I2S interface) and want to control it remotely without getting off your couch :wink:

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #1,157 of 3,873
OK, here it is, my full review of Cayin N8. Warning you ahead of time, grab some popcorn because it's a long read, but I can't do it any other way. In the last few weeks I received a flood of questions asking about the sound, about the pair up, about the comparison, GUI, effect of Solid State vs Vacuum Tube, etc.. So, I tried to cover as much as I can in my review to answer everyone's questions. Enjoy the read!

I see you mentoined L&P L6 essentially sounds the same as N8. That is quite a bargain for half the price if so.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,158 of 3,873
OK, here it is, my full review of Cayin N8. Warning you ahead of time, grab some popcorn because it's a long read, but I can't do it any other way. In the last few weeks I received a flood of questions asking about the sound, about the pair up, about the comparison, GUI, effect of Solid State vs Vacuum Tube, etc.. So, I tried to cover as much as I can in my review to answer everyone's questions. Enjoy the read!

I also revisited my N6 a few months back. The sound is sublime still isn’t it? But omg the UI feels glacial compared to my R6 and it really shouldn’t, given it’s not a touch screen. My budget doesn’t run to the N8 but I am hoping the upcoming N6II will have significant elements of the N8.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #1,159 of 3,873
I'm having an issue with my usb-c/usb OTG adapter (cheap $2 from ebay) so can't test it with external hard drive now, but it worked once before with USB stick. Perhaps Andy can chime in to confirm what does or doesn't work.

I'm using Galaxy S9, but noticed that HIbyMusic is also available on iTunes, so maybe HibyLink can work with iPhone. HibyLink establishes the connection between your smartphone or tablet running HibyMusic using Bluetooth protocol, giving you remote control of the connected device. It's very convenient when you have your N8 in a pocket or a bag/backpack, or if you are using N8 as a transport with you desktop setup (for example, utilizing I2S interface) and want to control it remotely without getting off your couch :wink:
Confirming HiBy music/link app on iOS works beautifully.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #1,160 of 3,873
What a top shelf review

You must be exhausted mate

i hope cayin gives you one or a sweet deep discount Its deserved

" N8 offers 128GB of internal storage and micro-SD card expansion with up to 512GB (more flash cards supporting it now). Plus, you can add storage via USB OTG."

Does this mean i can plug some other form of a storage device into it and play music from that device ?

Ie: such as my external usb hard drives ? or ? (Im guessing not because they are all 3-8 TB in size

Is HibyLink just for my android phone ? Or can i also use my windows tablet with HibyLink?

Yes, you can plug in external storage to the type C and use it as OTG device. N8 will browse and play the content directly. The Type-C port has a limited current, upto 300mA, so you should be to operate a M.2 SSD or USB3.0 card reader directly. The capacity of OTG storage is not really a problem, but the power requirement is a critical issue given N8 is a portable battery powered device after-all.

N8 OTG won't be powerful enough to operate a 2.5" HDD because you need around 1000 mA in order to spin the HDD steadily. You can do that if you use an external power to feed the HDD, you can either use a split cable to separate the 2.5" HDD connection to data and power and use an USB power bank to feed the HDD, or you can use a 3.5" HDD which comes with external power supply naturally, but that'll be a desktop setup only.

I have just conducted a quick test on N8 with my Toshiba 6T Enterprise (MG04ACA600E), this is my music library for desktop transport iDAP-6, and it works fluently:

1. My test bench: 6T 3.5" HDD in external USB box, will connect to N8 through a USB A to USB-printer B cable and a USB C to A adapter
OTG HDD Test  002.jpg

2. Take around 5-10 sec for N8 to detect the OTG device (you can hear the HDD start to spin after handshake)
OTG HDD Test  003.jpg

3. Once connected, the device will be available as OTG/Disk_1
OTG HDD Test  004.jpg

4. I can browse through the content of the 6T HDD with Album art (around 3-4 sec delay in reading Album art), take a look of the file location on the address bar immediately above the song list.
OTG HDD Test  005.jpg

5. The 6T HDD as appear on Windows File Explorer
OTG HDD Test 01.jpg

As Alex has suggested, adapter quite often will cause problem, especially during playback, so you either go for a high quality adapter, or get an appropriate USB-C cable to avoid the adapter.

HibyLink is part of HiByMusic App, it is available in both Android and iOS version of the app.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 10, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,161 of 3,873
I see you mentoined L&P L6 essentially sounds the same as N8. That is quite a bargain for half the price if so.

At the top of the DAP food chain you will find a handful of players with a great sound performance and not too much night'n'day sound difference. But when you start digging deeper into supported features and design details, that's where you'll find a big gap. Just for sound alone with iems using SE output (bal out on L6 has high impedance, I have a detailed coverage of L6 in a review on my blog) L6 sounds great. But with everything else it's kind of lagging behind compared to other daps. It's easier to decide which DAP suites you better once you figure out how you going to use it, what you are going to pair it up with, and which features do you really need or can live without. And of course, budget plays a big role in it.

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,162 of 3,873
Yes, you can plug in external storage to the type C and use it as OTG device. N8 will browse and play the content directly. The Type-C port has a limited current, upto 300mA, so you should be to operate a M.2 SSD or USB3.0 card reader directly. The capacity of OTG storage is not really a problem, but the power requirement is a critical issue given N8 is a portable battery powered device after-all.

N8 OTG won't be powerful enough to operate a 2.5" HDD because you need around 1000 mA in order to spin the HDD steadily. You can do that if you use an external power to feed the HDD, you can either use a split cable to separate the 2.5" HDD connection to data and power and use an USB power bank to feed the HDD, or you can use a 3.5" HDD which comes with external power supply naturally, but that'll be a desktop setup only.

I have just conducted a quick test on N8 with my Toshiba 6T Enterprise (MG04ACA600E), this is my music library for desktop transport iDAP-6, and it works fluently:

1. My test bench: 6T 3.5" HDD in external USB box, will connect to N8 through a USB A to USB-printer B cable and a USB C to A adapter

2. Take around 5-10 sec for N8 to detect the OTG device (you can hear the HDD start to spin after handshake)

3. Once connected, the device will be available as OTG/Disk_1

4. I can browse through the content of the 6T HDD with Album art (around 3-4 sec delay in reading Album art), take a look of the file location on the address bar immediately above the song list.

5. The 6T HDD as appear on Windows File Explorer

As Alex has suggested, adapter quite often will cause problem, especially during playback, so you either go for a high quality adapter, or get an appropriate USB-C cable to avoid the adapter.

HibyLink is part of HiByMusic App, it is available in both Android and iOS version of the app.

Thanks Andy and twister6

Great news about the TB HDDs

So i can safely assume tho that there is no windows ability for Hiby?

If there a limit to the android version i can use ?

My s5 is Android version 6.0.1 and my s 3 is version 4.3

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #1,163 of 3,873
Thanks Andy and twister6

Great news about the TB HDDs

So i can safely assume tho that there is no windows ability for Hiby?

If there a limit to the android version i can use ?

My s5 is Android version 6.0.1 and my s 3 is version 4.3

HibyMusic App is only available in Android and iOS, it is not available on MS Windows platform.

I don't believe there is any version limit on HiByMusic, but why not give it a try, it is free anyway. Just look for HiBy Music from Google Play and see whether you can install it. You don't have to worry about Android 6, but v4.3 is aged.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 11, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #1,164 of 3,873
HibyMusic App is only available in Android and iOS, it is not available on MS Windows platform.

I don't believe there is any version limit on HiByMusic, but why not give it a try, it is free anyway. Just look for HiBy Music from Google Play and see whether you can install it. You don't have to worry about Android 6, but v4.3 is aged.
Thanks Andy

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #1,165 of 3,873
everything I read about is just amazing, only one thing left to desire for is streaming, wish you could have added that to N8, regardless I am looking forward to get my hands on an N8

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,167 of 3,873
Hoping that Cayin will make a DAP with single ended tube amp only, price below $700 :ksc75smile:
The tube does sound really nice on the N8.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #1,168 of 3,873
I followed this thread for about quite awhile with keen interest in the technology introduced in this DAP. Then it became morbid curiousity once I saw the price. Morbid because I would likely die before spending this much on a DAP.

Looking at everything packed into this unit if the cost doesn't burn a hole in your pocket the unit just might. Seriously I would be worried about my private catching on fire. It seems that Cayin Sony and others have created a brand new category. The UDAP or Unportable Digital Audio Player or U Didn't Actually Pay $3000.00 for a DAP did you. Perhaps UUDAP is more accurate meaning Unaffordable Unportable, you get the rest.

Hey Cayin here is a radical feature to add, and a cheap one to. Give it a user replaceable battery so it won't be a pricey paperweight in 3 years.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,169 of 3,873
I followed this thread for about quite awhile with keen interest in the technology introduced in this DAP. Then it became morbid curiousity once I saw the price. Morbid because I would likely die before spending this much on a DAP.

Looking at everything packed into this unit if the cost doesn't burn a hole in your pocket the unit just might. Seriously I would be worried about my private catching on fire. It seems that Cayin Sony and others have created a brand new category. The UDAP or Unportable Digital Audio Player or U Didn't Actually Pay $3000.00 for a DAP did you. Perhaps UUDAP is more accurate meaning Unaffordable Unportable, you get the rest.

Hey Cayin here is a radical feature to add, and a cheap one to. Give it a user replaceable battery so it won't be a pricey paperweight in 3 years.
Ha, yeah its heavy, but I have been using it on the go for 3 hours per day. Im in Hong Kong and Im walking, jumping in trains, buses and taxis with the N8 with TH900 headphone. Im a Coach and I have to go to two to three schools per day. Sometimes Im running to school or a train with the N8 in my basketball shorts. Ha no issues.

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,170 of 3,873

Come to think of it that battery thing in a few years in a 4500.00 (CND) dap where i cant replace it is a concern

How would such an issue be dealt with when i need a new battery ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back