Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Nov 4, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #1,096 of 3,873
What firmware did you hear on 1z? The latest firmware 3.0 has much bigger soundstage which closer to my dx200ti (lurker add m-on with oreo v2). 1z on previous firmwares are much warmer.

Waiting for your review :). I would like to know how it compares with 1z and dx200ti.

Ok, sorry my bad. No doubt LPGT is a winner compared to N8. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I heard the 1z firmware before the 3.0
And I own dx208 found it had more soundstage and details. Specialy more open treble. Though I heard the 3.0 update made great changes...

I still think 1z1z is an old device and the ak4590 should be am easy winner in lpgt in my opinion.

All this to say I was not impressed by 1z. But the software eq made it sound more open and higher in treble. Still missed soundstage and imaging.
I preferred the dx208 vs 1z on older formware.

And 1z had almost no hiss. Still could hear some but really nothing major you can live with it!

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #1,097 of 3,873
All the latest 64audio iems with LIT tech, just like TheCustomArt iems with FIBAE, have crossover design which shouldn't change sound sig of IEM regardless of OI of the source. But it doesn't kill the hiss if the monitor is sensitive and prone to it. N8 CIEMs are quiet with all the sources, to my ears, but then you got super sensitive ears bro :wink:

Dammmn hiss every where! LoL

High end daps at 3k plus should have 0 hiss whats wrong with the engeneerings teams? Its not like we gona use cheap iems to play expensive daps goshhh.

I guess it's something that's gonna be fixed in the upcoming years oh well...

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,098 of 3,873
And I own dx208 found it had more soundstage and details. Specialy more open treble. Though I heard the 3.0 update made great changes...

I still think 1z1z is an old device and the ak4590 should be am easy winner in lpgt in my opinion.

All this to say I was not impressed by 1z. But the software eq made it sound more open and higher in treble. Still missed soundstage and imaging.

And 1z had almost no hiss. Still could hear some but really nothing major you can live with it!
I think there is no „easy winner“ when comparing flagship daps. You might prefer this one, the other might prefer that one. This guy might need streaming tidal, the other one downloads all tracks and wants much memory and memory expansion. This one might like clarity and separation. The other one might like a warmer musical approach etc. etc. etc.

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #1,099 of 3,873
Yea
I think there is no „easy winner“ when comparing flagship daps. You might prefer this one, the other might prefer that one. This guy might need streaming tidal, the other one downloads all tracks and wants much memory and memory expansion. This one might like clarity and separation. The other one might like a warmer musical approach etc. etc. etc.

Yes of course and add on top all the different iems and headphones that also affect the way sound is perceived and you have a whole new different opinion....

You hear it and if you like it you buy it!

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #1,100 of 3,873

High end daps at 3k plus should have 0 hiss whats wrong with the engeneerings teams? Its not like we gona use cheap iems to play expensive daps goshhh.

Are you stating one iem has hisss with the n8 or every iems will have hisss ?

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #1,101 of 3,873

Why don't we look at it from other angle? Why do we need flagship IEM at several thousands dollar that were designed to work with mobile phone primarily? Isn't that the main reason to have “audiophile” IEM at 120db or 125dB sensitivity?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 4, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,102 of 3,873

My 1Z is with 1.2 firmware, after the 300 hours is awsome ,i perfere have a closer but more real sound, than a wider sound but more artificial, that i learned with time and after earing lots of gears, the only one that i have heard with a wider sound stage but manages to be natural (don't ask me how they do but is the best for sure) is the sp1000cu, the only experience that i had with the dx200 was with the stock amp , it was not on par with the 1z the 1Z was far ahead , the notes scale where like earing a floor standing speaker on 1Z and on the dx was bookshelf

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,103 of 3,873
The LPGT was much easier to use, its smaller, easy lay out but the sound was average , the Hiby R6 sounded a lot better. The LPGT had an ok sound stage, and nothing made me go awwww I need this. The N8 solud state amp gave detailed but smooth vocals, I could hear each and every word while the beat, the music surrounded the singing. Very wide sound stage that is wide and very deep. I easily can see the musicians in front to the side of me. The tube amp was as detailed but it gave a warmth it gave emotions to the music. I played Stealy Dan, Matheny, then played Synths, 70s rock, Metal and then some Indie music. I had flac and normal mps and all sounded very good. I used the same sd card on the : LPGT, AKs, R6 , ibasso, Cowon.

For whatever reason, I have come to love Sony's S-Master sound signatures. It takes hard rock and heavy metal music and puts it in a velvet glove, while keeping the musicality and power. I have no idea how Sony accomplished this. Metal can become very grating if not presented properly. Having said that, I am still curious about the N8.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,105 of 3,873
Can Cayin comment on the ETA for the next firmware 1.2 release?

I assume you want to find out if we are going to implement the "recently added song" feature? Sorry to inform you that this feature will not be implemented in foreseeable future.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #1,107 of 3,873
Understood but what I am after at this point is the volume control issue (going above max volume) and file update issue having to scan entire library after adding few songs.

We are working on the Volume control revision, not sure if we can deliver the revised solution in next firmware, but this is a priority item right now.
The library scan practice will remain unchanged, N8 is based on a System on chip architecture, it is not an Android-based device, the feature that you described is not available, we rather spend our effort to improve performance of music scanning rather then build a new feature for the benefit of small percentage users. Music Scanning is an optimization items and will be placed in lower priority as playback and volume related features will have higher priority.. By the way, do you have a very large music library on your N8? I just tested with my N8, scanned 3581 songs in exactly 2 minutes, which is not that bad and I don't see an urgent fix for that right now.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,108 of 3,873
I got your point but I frequently update my library with few songs. If I upload the music files onto / root of internal disk "without" creating folder it will recognized right away
when I go search under Local Storage, but if I upload a music file onto one of folders of TF card, the full disk scan is required. Just to add one song to recognize I have to
scan entire 10K library. :)

This is certainly not a new feature I am referring to if you fully understand the implication. AK, for example, if you add any number of songs onto folders of SD card,
the device will recognize the song right away without having to manually rescan entire disk.

Well, I can keep on adding the new files onto root of internal drive and then later move to folders on TF card to scan so this is not a critical issue at the moment but
hope to have more efficient way to handle the file update in the future.

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,109 of 3,873
I got your point but I frequently update my library with few songs. If I upload the music files onto / root of internal disk "without" creating folder it will recognized right away
when I go search under Local Storage, but if I upload a music file onto one of folders of TF card, the full disk scan is required. Just to add one song to recognize I have to
scan entire 10K library. :)

This is certainly not a new feature I am referring to if you fully understand the implication. AK, for example, if you add any number of songs onto folders of SD card,
the device will recognize the song right away without having to manually rescan entire disk.

Well, I can keep on adding the new files onto root of internal drive and then later move to folders on TF card to scan so this is not a critical issue at the moment but
hope to have more efficient way to handle the file update in the future.

If you are using Folder view, you don't need to perform the music scan option. You can add the song to any folder and be able to play that song by going through the folder tree at Folder view. You only need to scan the music library when you need to access the file from Album or Artist or Genre view. This is actually quite reasonable because we need to retrieve the album art and metadata in the music files in order to compile the Album/Artist/Genre index.

AK is an Android based device, the N8 run on very different system architecture with reference to the SPK. N8 cannot replicate the user experience of Android based player but on the other hand, we are better on some aspect. For example, the start up time of SoC player is significantly faster then Android based device, and flipping through folder view is also very efficient with SoC player.

Last edited:

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,110 of 3,873
Yeah playing whatever songs added under folder view would not be an issue although total number of song's still not updated but like you said the metadata would be an issue..
I understand N8's based on different OS but I would say it wouldn't hurt to adopt whatever provide the best usability experience to customers, that is if feasible.
At least I can still agree this is a major show stopper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back