Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Feb 19, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #3,676 of 8,191
Cayin rarely discuss our future product plan. If you look at our history with N8 or N6ii, there is no news or rumour at all until we debut a prototype at a major audio show. We listen to suggestion from users, but until we have a Audio Motherboard prototype on hand, we won't bring it out for discussion.
That's a business philosophy, and I understand. In fact, I think it might be fairly argued that it's a trait of Cayin's culture in general.

On the other hand, we probably have different assumption on the term IEM-targeted. When a manufacturer looks at the current IEM market, we don't just see the super high sensitive items, we also need to look at the items such as the electrostatic hybrids or demanding IEMs from FAD, RHA, oBravo. :beerchug:
And you've likely looked at the demand for the headphone market, as well. If you limit the maximum power potential, you limit the market, I know. Since I still have to wait to purchase any new DAP, I'll be wishing you success and keeping an eye on what new motherboards Cayin comes out with. Looks like the A01 and E01 are very well received, so I will be keenly interested on any new updates in the interim. Thank you for the engagement!

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #3,677 of 8,191
(3) The N6ii use Qualcomm solution so it is fully compatible with QC3.0, so this question is more related to generic lithium battery care taking under QC3.0 rather then N6ii only. In short, this will depends on your charger, some charger will cut off the charging when the charging current drop down to certain level, some won't. In most cases, it won't damage your battery immediately but will stressed the battery in the long run. If you are concerned about the battery life, shallow discharges and recharges are better than full charging cycle, because they put less stress on the battery, so it lasts longer. Regular full discharges or repeatedly charge up to 100% will speed up the aging of the battery. I always advice my users to stay within 20%-80% of battery range. I'll avoid battery drain to 10% or below, and I set countdown alarm to unplug my DAP from charger between 80% -90%. You can refer to other lithium battery discussion HERE, HERE and HERE.

In fact, that's why our Sales material stated the reference charging time of N6ii is 110 mins from 10% to 90%. We want to encourage users to stay within this range instead of charging the player to 100%.

why not provide an option to keep the range of charge between 20 and 80%? I believe ES100 does this as an option. I follow battery longevity best practices but it is a pain if you don't have root privileges. Having to set a timer, check it, and physically unplug it is tedious.

So, place a batter that is 30% bigger than needed, and control the charge depth by software so that you don't tax the battery. Thus, you achieve twice as many charging/discharging cycles (or even more). I really think consumers would see this as a value add if this battery control could be enabled by software option.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,678 of 8,191
why not provide an option to keep the range of charge between 20 and 80%? I believe ES100 does this as an option. I follow battery longevity best practices but it is a pain if you don't have root privileges. Having to set a timer, check it, and physically unplug it is tedious.

So, place a batter that is 30% bigger than needed, and control the charge depth by software so that you don't tax the battery. Thus, you achieve twice as many charging/discharging cycles (or even more). I really think consumers would see this as a value add if this battery control could be enabled by software option.

You probably won't believe how many inquiries we have to handle regarding "why it takes so long to charge from 99% to 100%" and "your player stops at 99% and can't be fully charged, please replace this for me." :ksc75smile:

Putting a battery 30% bigger? We have custom make our battery to maxima the space available (i.e., to make it as small as possible), and we still receive a lot of comment that the N6ii is too chunky or too thick, If we need to add 2-3mm to the N6ii because of the 30% battery reserve, this definitely put more pressure on public acceptance and sales.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 20, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #3,679 of 8,191

Many thanks Andy and Cayin Japan for the opportunity. I borrowed the N6ii for quite a while. It is now onto Amos, so look for a good Currawong review of it.

I love its sound, dig the numerous DAC options, and its power. I am not happy with button placement and battery life, while not bad, isn't great.

I have written a review here at head fi and published one at ohm image: ohmage to the Cayin N6ii

I would love to hear some feedback as I've been browsing this looooong thread. Thank you.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #3,680 of 8,191

Many thanks Andy and Cayin Japan for the opportunity. I borrowed the N6ii for quite a while. It is now onto Amos, so look for a good Currawong review of it.

I love its sound, dig the numerous DAC options, and its power. I am not happy with button placement and battery life, while not bad, isn't great.

I have written a review here at head fi and published one at ohm image: ohmage to the Cayin N6ii

I would love to hear some feedback as I've been browsing this looooong thread. Thank you.

Battery is poor ? Then the DX220s battery is what ? Most owners have said the N6II battery was one of its Pros. Im using my N6II once a week and barely charge it.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #3,682 of 8,191
I think the context is that I am coming from mid to high end DAPs, where battery life usually exceeds 20 hours with strenuous use. I never got the N6ii to return better than 15 hours on a run-down test, and in mixed use, it often got less than 12 hours. I have also had it run down in 10 hours more than once. If other TOTL or higher end DAPs get 12 or 8 hours, then this is excellent, but in the grand scheme, I think it is poor.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #3,683 of 8,191
I think the context is that I am coming from mid to high end DAPs, where battery life usually exceeds 20 hours with strenuous use. I never got the N6ii to return better than 15 hours on a run-down test, and in mixed use, it often got less than 12 hours. I have also had it run down in 10 hours more than once. If other TOTL or higher end DAPs get 12 or 8 hours, then this is excellent, but in the grand scheme, I think it is poor.
The DX220 you get 5 hrs and the AKSP2000 you get 7 hrs. You mean your little Cowon with 50 hrs ? I love Cowon but I prefer Cowons PL , PM2 , PS and they get 6 hrs if lucky.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #3,684 of 8,191
I suppose I live in a world where 5 hours and 7 hours is equivalent to 1st or 2nd-gen products from the early 90s. I hate to use the 'current year' argument, but I don't think it should be the case that 'good' battery life means maybe up to 15 hours with current hardware. Otherwise, you know how I feel. The N6ii sounds wonderful. But I think that up to 15 hours is poor form. 7 hours? Ridiculous.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #3,685 of 8,191
I suppose I live in a world where 5 hours and 7 hours is equivalent to 1st or 2nd-gen products from the early 90s. I hate to use the 'current year' argument, but I don't think it should be the case that 'good' battery life means maybe up to 15 hours with current hardware. Otherwise, you know how I feel. The N6ii sounds wonderful. But I think that up to 15 hours is poor form. 7 hours? Ridiculous.
Agree , I bought a Cowon in 2005 and it ran for 40 hrs , I had a walkman which ran for over a week.

Feb 20, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #3,686 of 8,191

It's one of those trade-offs:

Power (or full Android).
Battery life.
Compact size.

Pick two.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #3,688 of 8,191
which DAPs get over 20hrs?
I only know of Sony WM1A and 1Z.

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #3,689 of 8,191
which DAPs get over 20hrs?
I only know of Sony WM1A and 1Z.