Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #6,122 of 6,262
Hi guys how do I remove or forget on the Bluetooth on the N3? here are some I don't need or want to reset is there a way? Thanks

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #6,123 of 6,262
Before you consider anything drastic such as replacing the battery, maybe you can calibrate the gauge of the lithium battery and see if this will help. Check out my previous explanation on the battery calibration issue HERE, hope this will help.
Well, i have done the calibration and the battery doesn't hold much: from 100% to 77% just because it was off a few hours then less than 3 hours of battery with screen dimmed at the minimum.
It looks like i need a new one if i want to keep using my N3 while jogging (battery life is problematic though, less than 2 years, i usually get at least 3-4 years before having issue...)
Is that battery a good replacement for the original one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...a9-4512-8e4d-7ac843f14a42&transAbTest=ae803_3

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #6,124 of 6,262
Hi guys how do I remove or forget on the Bluetooth on the N3? here are some I don't need or want to reset is there a way? Thanks
Had to reset it to factory setting then just personalized it to way to way I had everything.

Jun 18, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #6,126 of 6,262
Hi, just want to ask if Cayin CS-30TCR will work for android smart phones, namely lg v20, to output digital coax?
I can't seem to find any question/answer that comes close, or even a solution for a phone to output digital coax for that matter.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #6,127 of 6,262
Digital coaxial output (SPDIF) is not part of the USB-C specifications - but some DAP manufacturers have used a couple of "spare" pins on the connector to bring out an SPDIF signal.

So, the Cayin cable will only work with device that have the non-standard connector wiring.

Jun 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #6,128 of 6,262
Sorry to insist but is there a good battery replacement for the N3?
Or is the N3 a disposable music player you have to throw in the dustbin once the battery is dead?
I'm sorry that you still don't have an answer, I'm interested too in find a replacement battery, In my case the calibration worked to some extend but I think I'm still going to need to change the battery at some point in the mid-term, until we get an "official" response I think you should go with the one you find, if it is not expensive, and if the specs are the same as the stock one, I don't think it will hurt the DAP

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #6,129 of 6,262
I'm sorry that you still don't have an answer, I'm interested too in find a replacement battery, In my case the calibration worked to some extend but I think I'm still going to need to change the battery at some point in the mid-term, until we get an "official" response I think you should go with the one you find, if it is not expensive, and if the specs are the same as the stock one, I don't think it will hurt the DAP
yeah surely what i'll do in the end, but an answer would be nice at some point, less than 2 years is definitely not a good battery life for a player in that price range... (my sandisk sansa clip was 4 years old with a very good battery life when i broke it, and only a 1/4th of that price)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #6,131 of 6,262
Recently, I was lucky enough to get an used N3 for an OKAY price. Since so many more qualified ears than mine have already given their initial impressions throughout this thread, I'll spare you mine.

I was able to read through the entire thread (yes, all 409 pages) and noticed a few 'sore' points... For one of those sore points, I might have found an OKAY solution (not perfect) - the lack of a tempered glass screen protector available for sale.

When the topic first came up, I thought it would easy to tackle as someone must make one and as the thread continued, and continued, and continued on, it became clear that no-one makes one... or at least one that was dedicated to the N3. I know from my other hobbies, that there are a lot of screen protectors out there for various types of screens so something had to 'fit' but I didn't have my N3 yet, so I couldn't really do any serious looking. When I got my N3, I measured the screen - 47mm x 71mm with a hole in the lower portion. Since you can't really DIY cutting that hole in a tempered glass screen protector, finding a perfect match without custom manufacturing one would be impossible... but everyone on this thread knows that. The next best thing is to find one that almost fits by excluding the area around the button and I believe I have done that...

If you measure the N3's screen without the hole (ie from the top to line across screen above the buttons), you'll get the following measurement - 47mm across x 54mm high. In doing some 'googling', I found out that the screen on the Canon 350D DSLR was 47mm x 55mm (at least according to this webpage - https://www.provideolb.com/product-details/91/1103) which would make it perfect for the next best thing. I haven't ordered it yet as my screen protector is still in great shape but if anyone needs a screen protector, one for a Canon 350D DSLR might be your best bet.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #6,132 of 6,262
I have been using an N3 to provide a SPDIF signal to my Chord Mojo. It easily trumps the USB OTG output of both of my phones (previous Galaxy S7 Active, current V40 ThinQ). It is impressively clean, detailed, easy. Most credit should go to Chord Mojo since the N3 is just outputting a digital signal, but it definitely deserves some credit for being so clean and reliable. I rarely listen to it with its own headphone output, but when I do I use the "Sharp" filter. It's actually pretty damn decent. I am still trying to decide whether the N3 or the V40 is better as a standalone unit, I still need to do some listening but it's hard for me to not just reach for the N3>Mojo combination because it's so good. My headphones are Etymotics ER4XR.

I am curious, I tried using a USB OTG cable to have the N3 feed a USB signal to my SDAC+CTH>ZMF Classic rig at work. Either the N3 wasn't outputting the signal correctly or the SDAC doesn't like the USB signal from the Cayin. Any advice?

Edit: Got it to work. I think maybe it just didn't like the 24/192 file? It's working fine with 24/96.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #6,133 of 6,262
HI Guys,
I'm looking at upgrading to a bigger sd card to store more stuff on, is there any particular specs i should be looking at? or would any SD card work? also i'm currently looking at possibly 512gb or 1tb, that should work fine with the N3 yes? thanks

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #6,134 of 6,262
Try

Try at @aliexpress, there is a store called baba's batteries or something like it or just do a Cayin N3 battery search,cost around $24/30. I was going to get one for my X5, but sold it instead.
I do know that they have the N3 battery as I have one in my wishlist. Will it work? ?
But if I should ever have need I probably will try my luck and spin the wheel of chance

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #6,135 of 6,262
Well, i have done the calibration and the battery doesn't hold much: from 100% to 77% just because it was off a few hours then less than 3 hours of battery with screen dimmed at the minimum.
It looks like i need a new one if i want to keep using my N3 while jogging (battery life is problematic though, less than 2 years, i usually get at least 3-4 years before having issue...)
Is that battery a good replacement for the original one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...a9-4512-8e4d-7ac843f14a42&transAbTest=ae803_3

Sorry to insist but is there a good battery replacement for the N3?
Or is the N3 a disposable music player you have to throw in the dustbin once the battery is dead?

If we must answer your question, the answer will be a straightforward "we don't know". We can't determine the compatibility of the battery based on the data provided by aliexpress store, and we don't even know if their data is reliable. The only way to do that is to buy a few samples (not less then 5) and run a series of test to determine the physical dimension (and variation), electrical characteristic and safety measurements of the battery. I don't think there is any consumer electronic manufacture will do that Certify an unbranded aftermarket Lithium battery as acceptable replacement is a very high risk procedure, we simply can't take the risk of having a third-party Lithium battery exploded in N3 while charging and playing and then the battery is somehow "certified" by Cayin.

There are several factors that affect the life of a Lithium-ion battery. For example, partial or swallow discharge pattern reduces stress and prolongs battery life, deep discharge pattern will, on the other hand, increase stress and shorten batter life. This article explains how Depth of Discharge (DOD), temperature and charging current will affect the "Cycle" life of a Lithium battery. For the records, we have sold over 10,000 units of N3 already, and over 50% were sold in 2017 (first six months of launch to be exact), Majority of these players are still running with an acceptable batter performance. Be reminded that domestic customer can send their N3 tou us at $3 to $10 only, so if the battery replacement cost is very low to them, and yet we only received a handful of battery replacement request so far.

If you must replace the battery of your N3, you have to send the player back to the factory in China. You can either do that through your local Cayin dealer or email service@cayin.cn for more detail.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back