Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 10, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #6,091 of 6,262
Is album art for Ogg Vorbis supported on the N3? I just bought one and album art appears to work for FLAC, WMA, and MP3, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get it to display on Ogg files. Am I doing something wrong? I'm loading them in a program called kID3.

I also may have found a bug where there is a low frequency noise after inserting headphones. I have a pair of headphones with an iPhone remote - I realize the remote isn't supported but the headphones should still work normally, right? It's pretty quiet so you need to be in a pretty quiet room. Here's how to reproduce it:
  1. Start playing a track
  2. Unplug and then plug headphones back in
  3. Turn volume down to zero (noise is independent of volume setting)
  4. Press play if track is paused (noise only occurs while a track is playing)
I've found that I can actually press the play/pause button on the headphone remote and the sound will go away. So I suppose there is a workaround but I'm curious if this is a known issue? Edit: This does not occur with regular non-remote headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #6,092 of 6,262
Is album art for Ogg Vorbis supported on the N3? I just bought one and album art appears to work for FLAC, WMA, and MP3, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get it to display on Ogg files. Am I doing something wrong? I'm loading them in a program called kID3.

I also may have found a bug where there is a low frequency noise after inserting headphones. I have a pair of headphones with an iPhone remote - I realize the remote isn't supported but the headphones should still work normally, right? It's pretty quiet so you need to be in a pretty quiet room. Here's how to reproduce it:
  1. Start playing a track
  2. Unplug and then plug headphones back in
  3. Turn volume down to zero (noise is independent of volume setting)
  4. Press play if track is paused (noise only occurs while a track is playing)
I've found that I can actually press the play/pause button on the headphone remote and the sound will go away. So I suppose there is a workaround but I'm curious if this is a known issue? Edit: This does not occur with regular non-remote headphones.

Update on the album art: embedded art doesn't seem to work but folder.jpg, cover.jpg etc. do (which I would've found if I searched this thread earlier...). I wish embedded art worked but it's a workaround I suppose. I also discovered a certain cover jpeg that it didn't like for some reason. No idea why but I actually went back to google images and found a different one for the same album and that one works haha.

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #6,093 of 6,262
Update on the album art: embedded art doesn't seem to work but folder.jpg, cover.jpg etc. do (which I would've found if I searched this thread earlier...). I wish embedded art worked but it's a workaround I suppose. I also discovered a certain cover jpeg that it didn't like for some reason. No idea why but I actually went back to google images and found a different one for the same album and that one works haha.

I just send you a PM and give you my email address, send me the OGG file and the album art that you are using and let us verify it over here.

I am not 100% sure but I think you can't use progressive jpeg as album art.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 24, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #6,094 of 6,262
Does anyone know where to get a new battery for the N3?
I didn’t use it for a few months and when I charged it again I realizd that the battery had expanded so much it popped open the housing :triportsad:
I did open it and searched the internet for the battery number printed on the cell, and only found a source with minimum purchasing quantity of 1000 units....

Please email service@cayin.cn and include a photo for your N3, our support staff will take care of you.

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #6,095 of 6,262
I just send you a PM and give you my email address, send me the OGG file and the album art that you are using and let us verify it over here.

I am not 100% sure but I think you can't use progressive jpeg as album art.

Andy, thanks for sorting me out with that one weird folder.jpeg image. I hope you don't mind me posting the fix here for future google searchers' sake:

A folder.jpeg that won't show up needs to be saved as a "non-progressive" .jpeg. Apparently a Progressive JPEG loads in a different pattern than regular JPEGs, increasing-resolution versus line-by-line, respectively. There are probably multiple ways to save it as such but I opened it in GIMP and exported it with the "Progressive" option un-checked. It should work then.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #6,096 of 6,262
Andy, thanks for sorting me out with that one weird folder.jpeg image. I hope you don't mind me posting the fix here for future google searchers' sake:

A folder.jpeg that won't show up needs to be saved as a "non-progressive" .jpeg. Apparently a Progressive JPEG loads in a different pattern than regular JPEGs, increasing-resolution versus line-by-line, respectively. There are probably multiple ways to save it as such but I opened it in GIMP and exported it with the "Progressive" option un-checked. It should work then.

The progressive jpeg was originally develop to speed up the loading of photo in browser, instead of waiting for a photo to display from top to bottom (line by line), the complete photo will display in a rough image first and increase the resolution (and clarity) progressively. Anyway, once you un-checked the progressive option, the JPEG file should become "useable" in N3.

I'll test the embedded JPEG of OGG file after the CanJam Singapore, things are getting tight when the big show is only few days away.

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #6,097 of 6,262
Hey, all. Just wanted to say a word of thanks to all contributors on this thread. Your info and shared experience convinced me the N3 was a DAP worth having. So I went ahead and bought one a few months back and have been seriously impressed by its sound quality and feature set. It sounds great with my SE215s but I think it's time to look at an IEM upgrade that will do the N3 more justice. I'm off to hunt down IEM reviews on the forum but if anyone here has any suggestions for a suitable IEM they'd be gratefully received (budget £200-£300 and with a neutral signature). Cheers and thanks again.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #6,098 of 6,262
Hey, all. Just wanted to say a word of thanks to all contributors on this thread. Your info and shared experience convinced me the N3 was a DAP worth having. So I went ahead and bought one a few months back and have been seriously impressed by its sound quality and feature set. It sounds great with my SE215s but I think it's time to look at an IEM upgrade that will do the N3 more justice. I'm off to hunt down IEM reviews on the forum but if anyone here has any suggestions for a suitable IEM they'd be gratefully received (budget £200-£300 and with a neutral signature). Cheers and thanks again.

Welcome. Everything I have sounds good with the Cayin:)

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #6,099 of 6,262

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #6,100 of 6,262

I'd recommend taking a look at Crinacle's IEM ranking list, that's a good starting point.
My budget for IEMs was in the same range as yours. First good choice was the Moondrop Kanas Pro which really got me hooked on IEMs. I loved the clarity, separation, detail and the rumbling sub bass.
But I also missed a bit of dynamics, mid bass and at times the timbre was a little strange, so started looking again, and based on research and recommendations ended up buying the JVC HA-FD02 and the Sony EX800ST on a trip to Japan a few weeks ago.
I spent 7 hours total listening to IEMs in the famous e-earphone store in Tokyo, and found these 2 IEMs to hold up really well against IEMs at or above $1000. I described these experiences in the Moondrop thread and the FD01 thread.
Both are special, the EX800ST more unusual with it's extremely open sound and high clarity albeit slightly sharp edge, the FD02 (modded) with a dynamic yet smooth and detailed sound and exceptionally natural timbre.
Links to the starting points of my posts about those IEMs
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...ressions-thread.894139/page-107#post-14841469
https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14870966/

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #6,101 of 6,262
I'd recommend taking a look at Crinacle's IEM ranking list, that's a good starting point.
My budget for IEMs was in the same range as yours. First good choice was the Moondrop Kanas Pro which really got me hooked on IEMs. I loved the clarity, separation, detail and the rumbling sub bass.
But I also missed a bit of dynamics, mid bass and at times the timbre was a little strange, so started looking again, and based on research and recommendations ended up buying the JVC HA-FD02 and the Sony EX800ST on a trip to Japan a few weeks ago.
I spent 7 hours total listening to IEMs in the famous e-earphone store in Tokyo, and found these 2 IEMs to hold up really well against IEMs at or above $1000. I described these experiences in the Moondrop thread and the FD01 thread.
Both are special, the EX800ST more unusual with it's extremely open sound and high clarity albeit slightly sharp edge, the FD02 (modded) with a dynamic yet smooth and detailed sound and exceptionally natural timbre.
Links to the atrting points of my posts about those IEMs
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...ressions-thread.894139/page-107#post-14841469
https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14870966/

Hi and thanks for the recommendation and info. Had a look at Crinacle's list and already starting to think that the hunt for a new IEM will be bad for my wallet. But such is the life we choose to lead :wink:. The Kanas Pro's had already got my eye so it's good to read about your experience of them. The JVCs look interesting too. Time to start checking out some more reviews. Cheers and thanks again.

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #6,104 of 6,262
Now n3 is almost 2 years old and competition is launching new products fast, does cayin have any plan on budget devices to compite with shanling and fioo?

Cayin is releasing the N6ii but it will cost more than 800€ for sure, so a modern entry level DAP from 150-250€ would be great.

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #6,105 of 6,262
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back