Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Feb 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #946 of 2,306
Choptalk, I have consistently been in your shoes regarding the inability to sample most products before I buy them.  I mean a lot of the vendors here do offer their products with some kind of grace period where only a restocking fee is applied to a used item, but seriously almost nothing of interest on this site is exactly featured at a Best Buy.  I have started to buy used from this site when I absolutely can't make up my mind about two different products and I figure if I buy used, I can sell used here and probably be okay.  For example, I couldn't decide between Hifiman and Audeze so I bought both used here and once I decide I will hopefully be able to sell the one that doesn't do what I want and not be out a lot of money.  I only bring this up because I noticed several Lyr units in the used section.  With the LF...well you probably aren't going to find that used for a while...I was in the same boat with the EF6 and decided to take the plunge.  We will see.

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #947 of 2,306

Quote:
I have some LCD'2's
Is there a 2500 difference in the LF and the LYR?
I have no way of testing without buying sight unseen.

Wait a couple of weeks and many of us will be able to comment since it is shipping soon.
I've had the Lyr, it was great for the price, but not truly a "great" amp IMO (drove the LCD2s very well, I just wasn't a big fan).
I've since upgraded it to something else, and now the Cavalli is on it's way, this time 2 weeks from now, you'll have a lot more information to work with regarding comparing these 2 particular amps.

Also remember the law of diminishing returns is quite viable in high end. So, I have no doubt it will be a few times better than the Lyr, but the Lyr is about $500, the LF is $3250, I don't expect it to be 6.5 times better. Unfortunately money doesn't work like that the higher up you go.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #948 of 2,306
Yup...diminishing returns is always something to consider.  That being said, I am in the camp that the LF is clearly a better and more sophisticated amp than the Lyr.  I've heard the Lyr several times in several different rigs, and while these were at meets (so not ideal listening conditions), I have not heard anything from the Lyr that would make me regret my decision to buy the LF.  To my ears, the Lyr has a nice punchy bass but doesn't control it as well as higher end amps, so it tends to get a little bloated.  Control and clarity is actually a little muddy across the range, but seems most noticeable to me in the bass because of the punchiness.  The soundstage also sounded somewhat collapsed in comparison to the LF or other high end amp (like the Balancing Act).  Don't get me wrong, I think the Lyr is awesome for it's price, but just is not a product for me.

Also take this all with a huge boulder-size grain of salt, not only because all of my experiences with the Lyr were at meets, but because I am a flag-carrying early adopter of the LF. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #950 of 2,306
I think the LF is pretty transparent, so it will mostly depend on what sound you're looking for.  The BADA works for me...it's not strong in bass impact and it's a little on the warm side, but it has enough clarity and musicality for what I want.  I don't think I've heard a Bifrost (you're talking about the Schitt DAC right), so I can't really comment on it.  Of course, because it's transparent and has a fairly high ceiling as far as performance, you could end up handcuffing your rig if you don't also get a good source.  Going from the Assemblage DAC 2.7 to the BADA was a big difference, for me.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #952 of 2,306

Quote:
Ok people you have me leaning towards the LF.

Whats the best DAC to compliment it?

And don't forget cables - interconnects have a sound, as do power cables and usb or spdif cables. Flamers -- I'm not saying you need to spend a lot of money, just that when putting together a system you also need to consider cables.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #953 of 2,306
My bigest concern is keeping cables from the same place throughout the system It's a slight paranoia, and I don't believe in big fancy cables.

All of my cables are Monoprice cables, but they are all Monoprice. Down to the power cables.

Then again with the Texas meet coming up and a MOT bringing some really high end Jenna Labs cables...My mind may be swayed.

EDIT: On the subject...Does anyone know of a place that does the full range of cables that might be a little nicer than Monoprice? Bluejeans does I think...And Emotiva...Anyone else?

Quote:
And don't forget cables - interconnects have a sound, as do power cables and usb or spdif cables. Flamers -- I'm not saying you need to spend a lot of money, just that when putting together a system you also need to consider cables.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #955 of 2,306
I bought my LF from TheCableCo. They give an excellent discount with it (via their sliding scale). I was pretty tempted to buy cables at the same time, but decided against it.

I might consider upgrading to all Emotiva cables if I go with their amps for my speaker rig. The cables are very resonably priced and look great (I'm more concerned about build than changing the sound).
Quote:
Yikes works for the cableco, they have a pretty good selection (and also sell the LF - maybe they'd offer a package price?).  Alternatively, you can buy used on Audiogon for a fraction of new retail in many cases.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #957 of 2,306
Still trying to decide whether to blow my speaker set up budget on a DAC 2 or just get done with my speakers for awhile. They'd come out to be around the same price. The DAC 2 would complete headphones, or I could get a full set of Emotiva speaker gear and some B&W 685s for around that price.

Quote:
I loved the DAC-2 while I had it. If you can't budget more than $3k, the DAC-2 at half that price is the one to beat.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #958 of 2,306

Quote:
I loved the DAC-2 while I had it. If you can't budget more than $3k, the DAC-2 at half that price is the one to beat.

Ditto. I still have mine, though I haven't received my LF yet so I can't comment on their synergy.
But I have no doubts that they will get along famously.

The next DAC on my list is either the NAD M51, or the Berkley Alpha USB DAC.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #959 of 2,306
Did they have this disclaimer at the top of the Liquid Fire page when you bought yours?

[size=medium]"Our pricing for this product is the "MAP Pricing." This means that the prices shown here are the "minimum advertised prices" permitted by the manufacturer. Because these are already the lowest prices possible, the additional incentives usually available under "Frequent Flyer" program do not apply to this item."[/size]
Quote:
I bought my LF from TheCableCo. They give an excellent discount with it (via their sliding scale). I was pretty tempted to buy cables at the same time, but decided against it.

I might consider upgrading to all Emotiva cables if I go with their amps for my speaker rig. The cables are very resonably priced and look great (I'm more concerned about build than changing the sound).

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #960 of 2,306
No, but I bet that because the total transaction is still large the discount to cables, and tubes on that order would still be discounted.

Not sure if I should say woops for opening my mouth or not...
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:
Did they have this disclaimer at the top of the Liquid Fire page when you bought yours?

[size=medium]"Our pricing for this product is the "MAP Pricing." This means that the prices shown here are the "minimum advertised prices" permitted by the manufacturer. Because these are already the lowest prices possible, the additional incentives usually available under "Frequent Flyer" program do not apply to this item."[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back