Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Feb 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #961 of 2,306
Ok everyone you talked me into buying this.
This site is evil. LOL

I signed up at this place less then a month ago to find out if it was a good idea to buy some HD650's with a cheap amp and a cheep DAC.

Less then a month later im buying a pair of LCD'3s and LF. Yes, LCD'3. I cancelled my order for the LCD2 10 mins ago. I chose to go ahead and get the 3 if im going to spend this kind of money on an amp. It would be really bad to spend 3k on an amp if you dont get the full 3k out of it.

I need to de-register now before it's too late. LOL

I do have one final question.

Im on the Dave Ramsey pay cash for everything program right now. So I cant afford to pay cash right now for my whole setup.

Would it be ok to use the bitfrost DAC for about 3 months until I can afford to buy a decent DAC for the LF?
Im not going to spend 3K on LF without having all the links of the chain strong long term.
But I cant afford a LF and a 2K DAC at the same time. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #963 of 2,306

Quote:
This site is evil. LOL

I signed up at this place less then a month ago to find out if it was a good idea to buy some HD650's with a cheap amp and a cheep DAC.

Less then a month later im buying a pair of LCD'3s and LF. Yes, LCD'3. I cancelled my order for the LCD2 10 mins ago. I chose to go ahead and get the 3 if im going to spend this kind of money on an amp. It would be really bad to spend 3k on an amp if you dont get the full 3k out of it.

Im on the Dave Ramsey pay cash for everything program right now. So I cant afford to pay cash right now for my whole setup.

Would it be ok to use the bitfrost DAC for about 3 months until I can afford to buy a decent DAC for the LF?
Im not going to spend 3K on LF without having all the links of the chain strong long term.

Should not be a problem. THe Bit Frost should be quite decent with the LF. 

And props for following Dave Ramsey's Total money makeover program. I am on it as well. Its tough isn't it not resorting to whip out that plastic card. :)

I was sorely tempted to buy a Subaru WRX STI for 20k a year ago, but sucked it up and keep driving my paid up beat up corolla till i can pay hard cash for my next car.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #964 of 2,306

Quote:

The next DAC on my list is either the NAD M51, or the Berkley Alpha USB DAC.

FYI - Unless you're talking about something that hasn't been released yet or are buying both a BADA and the Alpha USB, the Berkeley Audio DAC Alpha is not USB.  The Alpha USB that they have is a basically a USB to digital converter.  You may already know that, but I wanted to make sure.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #965 of 2,306

Quote:

And props for following Dave Ramsey's Total money makeover program. I am on it as well. Its tough isn't it not resorting to whip out that plastic card. :)

Yes its tough. But not as tough as all your money going to CC companies.
The positives outweigh the negatives.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #966 of 2,306

Quote:
FYI - Unless you're talking about something that hasn't been released yet or are buying both a BADA and the Alpha USB, the Berkeley Audio DAC Alpha is not USB.  The Alpha USB that they have is a basically a USB to digital converter.  You may already know that, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for that! I'll scratch it off my list and put the Calyx DAC in it's place. Prettier anyways :)

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #968 of 2,306
As far as the Ramsey cash diet goes...I'm thankful that I watched my parents go through the process with debt while I was growing up because it absolutely has made sure that will never happen to me. I don't have a credit card and never will. If I don't have the money for it...I don't need it yet.

My mother actually used Dave Ramsey's system a few years back once again after some tough times when she'd run up the cards again. It worked really well. Glad to hear it's working for other people, too.

Quote:
Should not be a problem. THe Bit Frost should be quite decent with the LF. 

I was sorely tempted to buy a Subaru WRX STI for 20k a year ago, but sucked it up and keep driving my paid up beat up corolla till i can pay hard cash for my next car.

Yes this site is evil. And no joke...People have asked to be banned before. It's hard to stop once you get started.
The Bifrost should be fine. It's been pretty popular around here lately.

Quote:
This site is evil. LOL

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #969 of 2,306
You are going to love your setup!  Congratulations!

I too did a similar start where I was going to get a Woo WA6, listened to it at Skylab's house.  By the time I got home from his house I'd already moved up two models.  Then when the LF came out I had to have that and got rid of the Woo.  All good.  Just incredible.
Quote:
This site is evil. LOL

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #970 of 2,306
Quote:
All good.  Just incredible.

yes, Icenine2, the W4S / LF / LCD-2 rev.2
that is one special setup.
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #971 of 2,306

Quote:
You are going to love your setup!  Congratulations!

I too did a similar start where I was going to get a Woo WA6, listened to it at Skylab's house.  By the time I got home from his house I'd already moved up two models.  Then when the LF came out I had to have that and got rid of the Woo.  All good.  Just incredible.

OMG. You've been to Skylab's house? Now that's the ultimate Meet meet. Lucky U to live in them part of the States. That's why we have Head-Fi, yes? The ultimate transporter of shared opinions.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #972 of 2,306
One more question from the newbie here.

As I have stated several times. Because of where I live I dont have the ability to test anything before buying.

I have some LCD3's on the way that I have never heard in my life.

Lets just pretend that for some reason I get those and dont like them. Which is possible.

Will the LF work GREAT with some HD800's?

Because I may have to sell off the LCD'3 if I dont like it.
I dont get to test this stuff before I buy.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #973 of 2,306
Quote:
One more question from the newbie here.

As I have stated several times. Because of where I live I dont have the ability to test anything before buying.

I have some LCD3's on the way that I have never heard in my life.

Lets just pretend that for some reason I get those and dont like them. Which is possible.

Will the LF work GREAT with some HD800's?

Because I may have to sell off the LCD'3 if I dont like it.
I dont get to test this stuff before I buy.

Yes the HD800's will work very well with the LF.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #974 of 2,306

Quote:
Shame though!  I really like the BADA LF combo.

No doubt it's great. I don't know why I assumed it was a USB DAC. The 2 unit combo makes it more expensive that I want for a DAC.
Though fear not, the LF will be well fed from the W4S DAC2 until I choose on a second, equally worth DAC. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back