Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here
Aug 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #301 of 349
I will..it is coming to me as part of a loaner. I last heard the Neko DAC at CANJAM 09. Was relatively new then. I am looking forward to seeing how it does in my speaker rig against my assemblage as i am seriously looking for something better.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #302 of 349
Love your musical taste, icenine2!  I'm a huge Yes fan myself....the Yes album is one of the few LPs I have backup copy for (Dark Side of the Moon, and Heifetz' Tchaikovsky and Sibelius Violin concertos are the others).  Great recordings, and they deserve the great gear you have.

I think this whole string has been fun to read because as long as I've been in the business, I guess I'd sort of taken for granted that components take a long time to break in....and the closer to Audio Heaven you get, the more you notice things like components changing, how long something's been turned on, how long a cable has been in a system, how much longer a digital component takes to both break in and wake up again once being turned off than analog; how much longer solid state takes to warm up than tube gear, and that whole thing. This has long been my biggest beef about computer-based playback systems -- much of the circuitry of any critically-appreciated playback system really seems to benefit from being left on with signal playing through it, and even cable/connections seem to take a while to settle down and settle in once hooked back up together.  Lots to manage to get max performance and thus max satisfaction from gear that moves around a lot from briefcase to office desktop to home audio cabinet :frowning2:

Call me neurotic, but I hear this stuff....and my 50+yr old ears aren't what they used to be....but at my age,  there is one advantage now....it's easier now to sit still than when I was the younger, ADHD-run guy.  Now I can melt into my favorite chair with cans on my head and my favorite music plugged straight into my brain.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #303 of 349
i will be receiving the front panel for my liquid fire prototype tomorrow. Cardas jacks and TKD volume pot arrived today. Should have it cased up by the weekend.

right now the LF is in my speaker rig doing preamp duty..its a blast!!

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #304 of 349
^ Wow that's great. A Liquid Fire preamp. I bet that sounds awesome.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #305 of 349

Quote:
i will be receiving the front panel for my liquid fire prototype tomorrow. Cardas jacks and TKD volume pot arrived today. Should have it cased up by the weekend.

right now the LF is in my speaker rig doing preamp duty..its a blast!!

Is that a TKD 2CP-2500-S100K pot? I've been looking for one.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #306 of 349

Quote:
^ Wow that's great. A Liquid Fire preamp. I bet that sounds awesome.

yessir it is. Its jerry rigged and a rats nest right now but workable and sounding sweet. I just soldered on wires to RCA jacks from the headphone jack.

Quote:
Is that a TKD 2CP-2500-S100K pot?

Same pot as the ones shipping out with the production units. The TKD 2CP-2511 50k pot.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #308 of 349
Extended session last night w/LF that started as a brief listen..................Derek and the Domino's.  I was listening to the MFSL version and then the 20th anniversary.  I'm still so mesmerized by how beautiful the bass sounds.  You can hear and enjoy bass with all its detail.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #309 of 349

Quote:
Extended session last night w/LF that started as a brief listen..................Derek and the Domino's.  I was listening to the MFSL version and then the 20th anniversary.  I'm still so mesmerized by how beautiful the bass sounds.  You can hear and enjoy bass with all its detail.

Yes I am starting to hear that bass you are talking about, and if things keep improving the LF/W4S combo my be a great contender for best headphone amp for the HE6's.

I have the DSD version of Derek/Dominos Layla and other love songs, I will have to give it a try.
So far I when I am not running pink noise I am viewing Blu Ray movies and the bass in these action movies are much harder to get right than the bass on music. imo

Anyway if the AQ is there for 5.1 HQ movie audio tracks, then there is a real good chance that the music will also sound great.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #310 of 349
Nice to hear that it seems the sound signature is starting to shape up for your, sillysally.

Listened to the LF with Tungsram tubes in it.  Now a little past 50 hours on the tubes.  From brief listening, gives a good amount of weight and impact.  I'll probably listen a little more through this week then switch to the Siemens to see if I can note the difference.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #311 of 349

Quote:
Nice to hear that it seems the sound signature is starting to shape up for your, sillysally.

Listened to the LF with Tungsram tubes in it.  Now a little past 50 hours on the tubes.  From brief listening, gives a good amount of weight and impact.  I'll probably listen a little more through this week then switch to the Siemens to see if I can note the difference.

Look forward to your opinion on these tubes. I am guessing you got the JJ's with your LF and comparing your other tubes against the JJ's.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #313 of 349
Speaking of bass: I'm listening to Emmylou Harris Spyboy.   Live and the bass is so perfect with the T-1's.  Huge difference when the bass has been recorded poorly.

SS-glad to hear your LF is sounding good.  So movie bass is more difficult.  Is it harder to get the impact that movies use? I would think it would about knock you out of your seat w/the Realizer once you get it right!

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #314 of 349
It sure is harder for Amp/Dac and headphones like the HE6 to get the full impact of things like a loud rumbling explosion without any distortion. And I must say that my LF, DAC1 is really starting to do a stellar job of bass like that.
As far as getting knocked out of the chair, I use a Crownson Shadow Stereo Motion System: A300b Amplifier with a pair TES100SS connected to the Tactile outs of my Realiser.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #315 of 349
I am having some incredible listening sessions with the LF and my T-1's (I did put those up for sale for a new LCD2rev2 but nada.  Too much buzz on the LC's of late.  This has proved to not be a bad thing.  The T-1's just sing with the LF.)

Beatles for Sale:24 bit version.  I originally was going to listen to No Reply and before I knew it the whole album!  Then moved on to Stanley Clarke self-titled first album.  Bass glory!!!

Now I've got on Zappa Apostrophe. He really knew how to get sound from a studio.  Awesome!!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back