Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here
Jul 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #136 of 349
Love those Siemens E88CCs myself.  Great top to bottom, and they've always seemed to last really well when they were really new old stock
normal_smile%20.gif
.  Never tried the Tungsram ECC88/6DJ8 type, but LOVED their 12AX7s that I bought years ago from Upscale Audio in CA.  Kevin Diehl (sp?) out there is kind of pricey, but well worth it in my book, because he really knows his stuff, and always remembers what sounds like what in what piece of gear...invaluable when it comes to saving time figuring out what's affecting what.  His ears are among the few I've learned to trust over the years.

Enoy!

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #137 of 349
re: Sibilance heard -- I heard it right out of the shoot with the LF the first time I heard it...with a substandard source...that changed DRAMATICALLY when I took it home and plugged it into my analog rig, then again when I plugged my favorite CDs into my digital front end; both direct into the LF.  Also heard it every time I put in one of those "overproduced" recordings.  Great stuff sounded great, weaker recordings sounded as such.  Old Kraftwerk ROCKED and some of the less well mastered stuff was exposed as such....

Darn it. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #138 of 349
Listening to TAG Mclaren Audio demo and Sheffield labs ..holy christ!!  EPIC!!! 

Can't describe in words..the finesse , the powar..the glory of it all..aargghh..i want MOAR!!

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #139 of 349
Some sarah brightman and patricia barber. The latter in XRCD and then a DTS-Master audio demo..
man on man..

This amp is unlike anything i have heard from Cavalli thus far.

The sheer resolution, the power in the lower registers..the realism that they convey..i swear it frightened the hell out of me when listening to the patricia barber album which is a live recording (Companion)..i whipped around thinking someone made a noise behind me...

the tungsrams are a clear favorite over the nationals for me personally. Granted it isn't as airy as the Nationals which are amazing in their own right  

But doesn't matter what quad you have in this amp..its a direct connection to your source material. talk about revealing..this amp will bare all and show you what sort of a source and source material you are running.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #140 of 349
Tried my quad of Tungsrams in the LF, and they do definitely add some solid weight over the stock tubes.  Maybe over the Siemens too, but the Siemens sound tighter and there's a wee smidge of glare or grain on some of the upper end on the Tungsrams, whereas the Siemens seem to have some of the bright tones but not as etched.  This is REALLY preliminary hearing stuff (my power went out for about an hour, which cut into my listening time) and both quads are NOS without much break-in, so take that as a massive caveat.  I've rolled the Siemens back in and plan to get them some good ear time in the next week or two, then maybe switch to the Tungrams again and give them more time to settle in as well.

Though reiterating what has been said before, the LF is very revealing.  Folks who've heard my music can attest that the mastering on a lot of my music tends to run on the hot side, which is part of the reason I tend to err on the side of warmth and weight when changing my rig.  While the LF doesn't make the hotter recordings unbearable for me, the style becomes very apparent when compared to a more "evenly" engineered and recorded piece.

It also has this wonderful effortless quality to the texture of the music.  I've heard amps that may image better or have a better soundstage, but I've sometimes found the presentation artificial or forced.  There's space around the tones and instrument voices that I'm hearing, but it's also all still enjoyable as a whole and interweaving sensation.

I'm holding off on really getting "critical" or complete A/B comparisons until I get more time to adapt to what the LF is giving me, but there will be a more in depth impression sometime in the future.  Especially when the Siemens and Tunsgram tubes have time to relax into their full glory.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #142 of 349
Sorry, sachu, but you lost me at Sarah Brighman....What a heavenly voice, and heavenly to look at, too!  If only the Liquid Fire could do video.....

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #144 of 349
It sounds like my LF is well broken in. The edginess I heard on what might have been some over bright material is certainly not there any more. Bottom end is tight and fast (way too reminiscent of college days), and vocals are superb. I have some NOS Ediswans, Nationals, and Telefunkens I want to try, but this is the week that both my new Decware amps, preamp, and three pairs of speakers are arriving. Too much to set up and get burned in.

At the moment, I am leaning toward keeping the Liquid Fire at the office—because it is easy to hook up two cans, and I do most of my headphone listening at the office—while moving my Taboo home. Still not sure on that. I need to do some more A-B listening, but swapping amps is a bit of a pain in my setup.

If I missed it, my apologies, but any T-1 listeners on the LF yet? I am considering adding a set.

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #145 of 349
I should have my LF sometime in the next week and I do have the T-1's.  I'll report in as soon as I get it broken in.  Well............before then too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back