Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here
Jul 9, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #106 of 349
Yeah, after a good warm up and some burn in, I either got used to the sound or the brightness started to mellow.  LOL. Switched in between the Assemblage and the Rega, and both have it to a certain degree.  My mom is visiting until tomorrow morning, so I'll have some time to listen as I'm going to bed, but won't really get a whole lot of ear time until tomorrow and later.

The other caveat about the "brightness" that I'm hearing is that it might very well be in the recordings themselves.  I listen to a lot of Japanese rock and soundtracks, and they tend to be a little notorious for being mixed a little "hot".

LF sounded bloody brilliant on K.D. Lang's "Hallelujah".  It also definitely has some kick in the bass extension on other songs.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #107 of 349
I look forward to another K.D. Lang's Hallelujah show down. Congrats on amp #1. Maybe you arent used to a more even signature? Sometimes more musical amps have there highs rolled a little creating extra warmth. Could that be the case with your stacker that you are used too?

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #108 of 349
Haha...totally!  "Show down" is in order!

I think you may have a good idea on the signature.  I tend to actually lean toward a more rolled off treble because I'm a little sensitive to the higher frequencies.  Just a matter of preference.  The red Stacker with 6CG7 tubes wasn't as much rolled off, I think, but was more prominent in the upper bass and low mids, so at specific volumes the highs weren't as prominent.  It's not excessive sibilance, however, so I'm looking forward to how thing progress as it burns in and as I roll some tubes through it.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #109 of 349
OK, I've now either gotten used to the sound signature in the treble or the LF settled in even more.  I don't have any negative experiences with brightness or the high end in general.

After listening to the stock tubes for a but, I rolled in some Siemens E88CC tubes.  So far they seem to add more weight to the low mids, which I like, and there's almost no excessive sibilance at all, which I also like.  And that's with them pretty much new and not broken in at all.  I'll probably keep the Siemens tubes in there for most of this week, then maybe try some comparisons against the JJ Tesla tubes that are stock or start breaking in some Tungsram tubes.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #111 of 349

Quote:
Equus, whats the amp you used to listen?

Primarily used a Cavalli Stacker II.  To a lesser degree, I used my DACmini.  In the past, I've had a chance to get some extended time on the loaner Peak/Volcano and a Weiss DAC 202 (the latter as a DAC and out of it's headphone out).

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #113 of 349
I will post my take on the amp after a few owners have posted theirs. Besides a review coming from me on the LF, i think a lot of people would think my views are prejudiced. Them bastards!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #114 of 349
just because you dont have headphones plugged in it and you still think it sounds great doesnt mean your biased...
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #117 of 349
I'd be hard-pressed to take better pics than the ones Alex posted on the cavalliaudio.com site.  The only difference with mine would be that you'd see Siemens tubes with tube dampers through the windows. 
tongue.gif
  If ya really want some more pics though, I can probably oblige.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #120 of 349
Forgive the meh pics.

For sachu and those who know the behemoth that is the Red Stacker:

As the Liquid Fire warms up:

And a glowy glamor shot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back