Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here
Jul 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #92 of 349

Quote:
^^ Can't wait to hear your impressions guys.

Not as badly as I can't wait to get the amp in my little hands. 
tongue_smile.gif
  I keep checking the tracking info, though I know it's not like it'll be updated that much seeing as it just left Texas this morning.  Ah the anticipation!

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #97 of 349
Nothing obvious, USA. Alex had apprised the additional cooling holes in previous correspondence, so that wasn't a surprise. All else appears as expected.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #99 of 349
First listening impressions, with no additional break-in time. Running Mac mini-->Audiophileo Model 1-->PS Audio DAC w/ Cullen Stage IV mods-->Audez'e LCD-2 plugged into outlet 1:

Cuts:

1. First 12 minutes of Moonlight Acoustica;
2. Telarc recording of Robert Shaw's performance of Verdi's Requiem [handled the big drums with aplomb, unlike the Apache. Horns and woodwinds a touch more detailed, but not quite as fulsome as Taboo];
3. DVD-Audio of 20th Anniversary of Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms [One World is something to hear];
4. The Roots The Seed. It is very easy for the bass in this cut to sound flabby. Not on the LF. Bass as tight as you-fill-in-the-blank. 
5. Muddy Waters' Folk Singer [192/24 ]
6. Chicago II [both 96/24 off the DVD-Audio and 192/24 from HDTracks]

Impressions:

1. Exceptionally detailed, while still being quite smooth and musical. Not as lush as the Taboo, nor with quite as much air around the cymbals or in-cathedral horns. But the air and detail in Folk Singer is quite special.
2. Wide soundstage. Very wide, L-R, wider than the Taboo with Ludic Mode switched off [no cross-feed]. Sound stage extends well beyond the physical parameters of the cans.
3. A bit edgy on some electronics, e.g., Carl Verheyen's guitar on Moonlight Acoustica. But again, no additional break-in. And not unpleasant, though I only have an hour or so listening so far.
4. Headroom to spare. Heard best on the Verdi, but apparent, on any recording with good dynamics.
5. Very quiet. Turned up full, no hiss, no hum. Black.
6. Forward. I felt like I was sitting a few rows closer to the music than with the Taboo.
7. Instrument placement seems different from the Taboo. I will need to do some comparisons, and take some more detailed notes.
8. Sense of ambience on high-depth recordings is quite nice. This is different from air, more about resolution.
9. Micro-detail is very pleasing. Layers and textures in Brothers in Arms [the song] easily discernible. Separation between massed voices and instruments in Requiem very impressive.

Very, very nice. Worth the wait.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #101 of 349
Seemed taboo from Decware is a decent amp although it costs only 1/3 of LF.:)   Are lcd2s matched well with this amp?

When mine arrive I will compare it to a ZD se. Cant wait.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #102 of 349
I would like to hear your thoughts as i was actually interested in the Taboo to begin with. Does the Taboo do anything better then the LF and vice versa!

Quote:
Seemed taboo from Decware is a decent amp although it costs only 1/3 of LF.:)   Are lcd2s matched well with this amp?

When mine arrive I will compare it to a ZD se. Cant wait.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #104 of 349
Liquid Fire #00001 arrived just a half hour or so ago!  Fired it up with the Rega DAC to make sure things were functioning as they should, seeing as the delivery guy seemed to like putting the package with very prominent "this side up" arrows on its side.  My experience listening a little to "Moonlight Crevasse" mirrors most of what Pale Rider said.  There's an edginess to the sound, but the caveats are that I didn't warm it up more than a few minutes, and both the LF and Rega DAC need to burn in more (DAC is a brand new warranty replacement I got a few days ago).  I've put the dummy load on and have it going right now.  I'll probably check again after lunch.  Going to let the amp burn in to the 150 hours Alex recommended with the stock tubes, try to get a handle on the sound, then start tube-rolling sometime later this week.

Jul 9, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #105 of 349
remmeber the rule gents, don't listen critically to any amp or source without warming it up for at least half an hour. 

I'd say use the assemblage DAC for now as you have had that for a long time and you know how it sounds.

And nice on scoring the #00001 serial number Ethan. :)

And best way to burn in..listen to tunes !! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back