Campfire - Solaris
Mar 22, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #7,758 of 12,035
I've tried various DAPs and none were as hissy for me as the Sony. What are your requirements/priorities in a DAP?

I mainly stream, so Tidal access is crucial. Other than that, I'd prefer no/very low hiss, I many of my IEMs are quite sensitive; I can use IEMatch but all my cables are right-angled so IEMatch makes them all funky. My budget is pretty open as well. I've been eyeing the iBasso DX220 and the Cayin N6II for their modular capacities, but I haven't decided yet.

absolute zero hiss = Cowon Plenue L
Cayin n6ii has slightly hiss but really to a point where it dont bothers .

Unfortunately, I need one that requires streaming so the Cowon doesn't work for me. The Cayin N6II Is on my short list though.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #7,759 of 12,035
I mainly stream, so Tidal access is crucial. Other than that, I'd prefer no/very low hiss, I many of my IEMs are quite sensitive; I can use IEMatch but all my cables are right-angled so IEMatch makes them all funky. My budget is pretty open as well. I've been eyeing the iBasso DX220 and the Cayin N6II for their modular capacities, but I haven't decided yet.

Unfortunately, I need one that requires streaming so the Cowon doesn't work for me. The Cayin N6II Is on my short list though.

Sony ZX-507 has zero/minimal hiss with Solaris

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #7,760 of 12,035

I heartily rec the n6ii...in particular with the E01 motherboard. If battery life is a priority then consider the A01 (and if battery life is a priority the dx220 should be out of contention).

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #7,761 of 12,035

the AK SP1000m didn’t hiss with the Solaris if I remember correctly (if someone could verify that would be great) ... it was also an absolute detail monster while being airy and musical at the same time

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #7,762 of 12,035
Sony ZX-507 has zero/minimal hiss with Solaris
I heartily rec the n6ii...in particular with the E01 motherboard. If battery life is a priority then consider the A01 (and if battery life is a priority the dx220 should be out of contention).
the AK SP1000m didn’t hiss with the Solaris if I remember correctly (if someone could verify that would be great) ... it was also an absolute detail monster while being airy and musical at the same time

I appreciate all the suggestions! I'm not going to pull the trigger yet, but I'm getting more tempted every day.

Mar 22, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #7,763 of 12,035

I use the SP1KM with the OG Solaris and stock cable, no hiss for me. BTW, it's awesome!

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #7,765 of 12,035
I can confirm, I have no hiss with my Solaris OG and my sp1000m

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #7,766 of 12,035
Yeah AK players have no hiss with sensitive IEMs in my experience. SR15, SE100, SP1000M, SA700 all great options.

Mar 23, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #7,767 of 12,035
I used to think that the smaller CA case (purchased seperately with the Solaris) was too large and cumbersome for portable use), but realized that it is also designed to carry extra portable cables for your portable DAP/DAC/amp, as the Solaris is truly meant to be enjoyed with extra power. Also, the larger Solaris-stock CA case can only protect up to a small-to-medium DAP with little-to-nothing else inside, so the smaller CA case and/or specially-made DAP case is required.

Mar 23, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #7,768 of 12,035
I used to think that the smaller CA case (purchased seperately with the Solaris) was too large and cumbersome for portable use), but realized that it is also designed to carry extra portable cables for your portable DAP/DAC/amp, as the Solaris is truly meant to be enjoyed with extra power. Also, the larger Solaris-stock CA case can only protect up to a small-to-medium DAP with little-to-nothing else inside, so the smaller CA case and/or specially-made DAP case is required.
Lol.

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #7,770 of 12,035
I'm looking into getting a DAP, what DAPs have you tried that don't have hiss?

No hiss at all with my Cowon Plenue 2 - great pairing IMO.

(But no streaming, so I guess Plenue 2 is out of the equation for you.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back