Campfire - Solaris
Mar 24, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #7,771 of 12,035
I mainly stream, so Tidal access is crucial. Other than that, I'd prefer no/very low hiss, I many of my IEMs are quite sensitive; I can use IEMatch but all my cables are right-angled so IEMatch makes them all funky. My budget is pretty open as well. I've been eyeing the iBasso DX220 and the Cayin N6II for their modular capacities, but I haven't decided yet.
edit : On DX220...
If you Streaming Tidal via UAPP, Neglectable Hiss with Solaris OG...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #7,773 of 12,035
So which one is more scaleable with more dedicated amps...Solaris or ISR-Z1R? In what ways is one more scaleable than the other?
Please realize that raw difference between these 2 headphones is going to be much greater than anything you might get by changing sources. Actually, the unit variation between two different units (and no, this is not a knock on the Solaris, I mean that in general, as all headphones have some level of unit variation) will probably yield a bigger difference than two different (but decent) DAPs. At least the unit variation difference can be seen in measurements. :)
Knowing that, you should just focus on the sound that these produce with whatever DAP you have or plan to buy and make your pick.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #7,774 of 12,035
Please realize that raw difference between these 2 headphones is going to be much greater than anything you might get by changing sources. Actually, the unit variation between two different units (and no, this is not a knock on the Solaris, I mean that in general, as all headphones have some level of unit variation) will probably yield a bigger difference than two different (but decent) DAPs. At least the unit variation difference can be seen in measurements. :)
Knowing that, you should just focus on the sound that these produce with whatever DAP have or plan to buy and make your pick.

Well, I already know that I prefer hybrid dynamic-balanced-armature over all-BA designs, as I gave up after owning the JH Roxanne V1. I could get a perfect seal, but the crossover design could not win me over. I asked about the “amplified differences” between the Solaris and the IER-Z1R to know how their micro-acoustic designs are similar and different. Looking at what music genres are preferred, I already knew the Solaris was my pick.

With that said, what are some DAP recommendations to go with the Solaris? I just require a medium-gain setting somewhere and at least a 10-band EQ that will work with all programs on the DAP.

Mar 24, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #7,775 of 12,035
Well, I already know that I prefer hybrid dynamic-balanced-armature over all-BA designs, as I gave up after owning the JH Roxanne V1. I could get a perfect seal, but the crossover design could not win me over. I asked about the “amplified differences” between the Solaris and the IER-Z1R to know how their micro-acoustic designs are similar and different. Looking at what music genres are preferred, I already knew the Solaris was my pick.

With that said, what are some DAP recommendations to go with the Solaris? I just require a medium-gain setting somewhere and at least a 10-band EQ that will work with all programs on the DAP.
The micro acoustic design is often on my mind as well.
I hope you enjoy the Solaris!

Mar 24, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #7,776 of 12,035

That eq "requirement" is what's gonna hold you back. Most DAPs that have other programs other than their default music player don't have eq access outside of that app

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #7,778 of 12,035
Ah man... that is why I am still on separate DAC/amps that have Bass/Treble adjustments. :unamused:
I understand. I use ifi xdsd (bass boost and treble increase/3d buttons) Chord Mojo for the particular signature, Fiio BTR5 with graphic equalizer non Bluetooth, and Monolith portable THX DAC/Amp with 3 band parametric eq and high/low shelf eq. The only eq I do on my iems is a little extra bass, but my LCDi4 needs that parametric eq from my Monolith portable. I'm looking at getting the Shanling M6 Pro, and occasionally using my Monolith portable solely as an amp, when I want/need to eq.

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #7,779 of 12,035

Cowon DAPs are great for eq-ing. I use Cowon Plenue 2 with Solaris, and Cowon Plenue 1 with the IER-Z1R.

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #7,780 of 12,035

I have a Cowon R2 and love it with the Solaris. Has the 10 Band EQ/BBE and many other tuning aspects.

EDIT: Link to specs if it helps.
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUER2/product_page_1.php

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #7,781 of 12,035
Please forgive an old man. What the hell is an OG Solaris. I know what a Solaris is and a Solaris SE. What is an OG Solaris. Below is my new Solaris SE breaking in.
43CF8E82-929B-4903-B460-97A7731C720F_1_201_a.jpeg

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #7,782 of 12,035
Please forgive an old man. What the hell is an OG Solaris. I know what a Solaris is and a Solaris SE. What is an OG Solaris. Below is my new Solaris SE breaking in.43CF8E82-929B-4903-B460-97A7731C720F_1_201_a.jpeg

Lol...an OG Solaris is an "original" Solaris ie., any Solaris that is not the special edition.

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #7,783 of 12,035
Does anyone still use a Cowon P2-128IS Plenue P2? They are on Amazon for super cheap and I was wondering if it was still worth it as a DAP and how well it can power the Solaris.

Edit: I stumbled across it because I was looking at the Plenue R2. And noticed that the P2 would be cheaper, it's just much older.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #7,784 of 12,035
Does anyone still use a Cowon P2-128IS Plenue P2? They are on Amazon for super cheap and I was wondering if it was still worth it as a DAP and how well it can power the Solaris.

Edit: I stumbled across it because I was looking at the Plenue R2. And noticed that the P2 would be cheaper, it's just much older.

I have been using the P2 with both Solaris and Solaris SE and they work very well together - no hiss at all (I actually purchased the P2 because of its low impedance output - among other reasons) and a lot of possibilities regarding EQing.

In my view the P2 is "better" than the R2. And its price on Amazon is definitely very attractive right now.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #7,785 of 12,035
Any chance we'll see a custom Solaris @KB? I loved my Solaris while I had them, just couldn't get the right fit due to the size and weight. Anole VX is great for me now, but I'd come running back if there was a custom Solaris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back