Campfire - Solaris
Apr 4, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #7,786 of 12,035
now that they have the Acoustic Chamber design on the Solaris, it may be possible.

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #7,788 of 12,035
20200407_202107.jpg
Been away for a while.

almost forgot how OG sounds, especially the Micro detail...

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #7,790 of 12,035
I've got to say, I'm very tempted to jump on the SE bandwagon with HiFi Headphones sale on currently. I do miss that Solaris holographic soundstage! I don't know if my bank account can take much more of a beating after the U12t's :frowning2:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the SE.

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #7,792 of 12,035
£300 saving currently! I’ve wanted to listen to it quite badly for a while now
I guess you can't audition because of the stinkin' virus?

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #7,793 of 12,035
I guess you can't audition because of the stinkin' virus?

Pretty much! And the fact that the showroom where that is possible is over 3 hours away. It's pretty much a certainty that I would get pulled over by the Police in that time and as much as I argue that hearing the Solaris SE can be considered "vital travel", I think they may not see it that way ... :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #7,794 of 12,035
My gosh. The Solaris are a special IEM and I entirely understand when people emphatically emote on the layering and holographic quality of sound. So much wow factor upon first listen as I never expected such depth from an IEM. Really hate to admit, but they quite easily outclass my W60 and W80. Despite the size, they actually fit quite nicely in my ears. Only gripe is the slight hiss out of my Dragonfly Red.

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #7,795 of 12,035
My gosh. The Solaris are a special IEM and I entirely understand when people emphatically emote on the layering and holographic quality of sound. So much wow factor upon first listen as I never expected such depth from an IEM. Really hate to admit, but they quite easily outclass my W60 and W80. Despite the size, they actually fit quite nicely in my ears. Only gripe is the slight hiss out of my Dragonfly Red.

If you're having hissing problems, you could try something like iFi IEMatch. Works wonders for reducing hiss. Also future proofs any amp changes you might make down the road because you just swap the IEMatch on to the new amp.

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #7,796 of 12,035
The W60 is a different beast from the Solaris, IMO. It has gobs of detail, but it is essentially, a laid-back sounding IEM. For me, it lacks the energy and/or bass slam of the Solaris. Although, comfort and fit have always been strong points of the Westone earphones. The W80 is incredibly small for an 8-driver monitor.

In any case, It's been almost a year since I got the golden-clad monitor, and I'm still very much in love with them.

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #7,797 of 12,035
Only gripe is the slight hiss out of my Dragonfly Red.
That is really the Dragonfly Red’s fault, it’s just that the Solaris is showing it to you. :wink:

I really want to see if 100 hours of classical DSD burn-in will benefit the Solaris...but don’t want to go through the RMA process from something going wrong. It still has 8 months of warranty left...but don’t want to go through the RMA process from something going wrong. :floatsmile:

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #7,798 of 12,035

Indeed. The Solaris (SE especially) are, for my tastes, the best "all rounder" IEM I've ever heard. They've been in my ears all day this Good Friday and I can't get enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back