Campfire - Solaris
Mar 13, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #7,726 of 12,035
At that price I like the DHC Clone Silver with either Solaris model with the Sony 1A or 1Z.

Pure silver though... I found the ALO pure silver left the solaris sounding thin and lessened the bass impact with neutral / bright sources. I can see how it may work with Sony's warmer sound though. The Loki has 20% copper with 80% Silver which I found was a much more versatile cable and gave the best of both worlds.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #7,727 of 12,035
I've got a Solaris SE arriving tomorrow and I likely won't even attach the stock cable to it :)

Also incoming is a DHC Clone Silver, so that will be the initial pairing. From what I've read, it seems like perhaps a warmer cable would be better with Solaris, but who knows and I already ordered the DHC a while ago. I will report back!

Edit: @Lookout57 how crazy that you were typing about the Clone Silver while I was posting about the Clone Silver. It's meant to be :)

-Collin-
I also have a Clone Fusion on its way to have a warmer choice.

But when I first got the Clove Silver with the Solaris SE and plugged it in to my WM1Z I was blown away compared to the ALO Gold 16 and SXC-8 I had been using previously. The details and soundstage increased significantly and there was no harshness.

After reading more about Peter @ DHC philosophies are on cables I have become a believer. To get the best sound you want OCC Copper or Silver or a fusion using both. Plating cables and not using OCC effects the sound.

So I'm using the DHC Clone Silver with the Solaris SE on my 1Z and Effect Eros II+ 8 wires with the Solaris on the 1A. Both players are running modified firmware. I'll most likely be selling off all my other cables and IEM's. And just keep the Solaris SE and Andromeda Gold SE with the Clone Silver and Clone Fusion for my 1Z ultimate portable listening rig and the Solaris and Andromeda with the Effect Eros II+ 8 wire and a cable TBD for my on the go rig.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #7,728 of 12,035
I also have a Clone Fusion on its way to have a warmer choice.

But when I first got the Clove Silver with the Solaris SE and plugged it in to my WM1Z I was blown away compared to the ALO Gold 16 and SXC-8 I had been using previously. The details and soundstage increased significantly and there was no harshness.

After reading more about Peter @ DHC philosophies are on cables I have become a believer. To get the best sound you want OCC Copper or Silver or a fusion using both. Plating cables and not using OCC effects the sound.

So I'm using the DHC Clone Silver with the Solaris SE on my 1Z and Effect Eros II+ 8 wires with the Solaris on the 1A. Both players are running modified firmware. I'll most likely be selling off all my other cables and IEM's. And just keep the Solaris SE and Andromeda Gold SE with the Clone Silver and Clone Fusion for my 1Z ultimate portable listening rig and the Solaris and Andromeda with the Effect Eros II+ 8 wire and a cable TBD for my on the go rig.

Sounds like you've done your fair share of experimenting as well. I see from your sig that you have both the Solaris SE and the OG. Could you give a quick run down of the differences you've picked up on? Comparisons are scarce and the comparisons I have heard are usually based off of previous experience with the OG and not a side by side comparison. I've sold my OG but I was very fond of it, curious to hear the SE but I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not an option.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #7,729 of 12,035
Sounds like you've done your fair share of experimenting as well. I see from your sig that you have both the Solaris SE and the OG. Could you give a quick run down of the differences you've picked up on? Comparisons are scarce and the comparisons I have heard are usually based off of previous experience with the OG and not a side by side comparison. I've sold my OG but I was very fond of it, curious to hear the SE but I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not an option.
I you search my posts you will find my original comparison when I first got the SE back in December. Overall I found it to be a big improvement in bass details, definitions and soundstage.

As soon as the Clone Fusion arrives I'm planning on doing a review of the Silver and Fusion.

Mar 13, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #7,730 of 12,035
An ALO and Campfire fan. Big time. Just wanted you to know what to expect. Very stiff. But thick and fairly solid. Have a pair for Cascades as well.
Yeah, I'm an ALO fanboy, myself. I wish they'd release new amps soon. It's a bit of a shame that they're focused entirely on earphones and cables at the moment.

Speaking of cables, I've paired the Solaris with several different models, and I'm currently settled with the Thor Silver II+ from Effect Audio; I love what I hear. However, it sounds a little better with the Leonidas II - I'm debating if I should drop 900 big ones for them.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #7,731 of 12,035
All indications are new amps are not on the horizon. Focus is Campfire now. Wish it was both.

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #7,732 of 12,035
All indications are new amps are not on the horizon. Focus is Campfire now. Wish it was both.
I don't want to derail this thread any further, but yeah, I agree. I wish they'd continue making amps. My personal favorite is the Rx Mk3-B+; a beast of an amp. If you have a CDM or a CV5, the Solaris sounds really great with them, too.

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #7,733 of 12,035
One year ago today I was on my way to Headphone Bar in Vancouver to purchase an OG Solaris...it's amazing how much has happened since then, how much gear I've owned...only to wind up a happy Solaris owner once again. Truly a great IEM.

The heart of my collection:

Fotor_158388801080565.jpg

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #7,734 of 12,035
I don't want to derail this thread any further, but yeah, I agree. I wish they'd continue making amps. My personal favorite is the Rx Mk3-B+; a beast of an amp. If you have a CDM or a CV5, the Solaris sounds really great with them, too.

Have the CV5 and would love to find a reasonably priced mint RX. To get the thread back to Solaris... been seriously look at the limited edition but just cant get past the color. Not sure to wait for next LE or go gold.

Mar 14, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #7,735 of 12,035
Have the CV5 and would love to find a reasonably priced mint RX. To get the thread back to Solaris... been seriously look at the limited edition but just cant get past the color. Not sure to wait for next LE or go gold.
In my case it's the price, not the color which I like :). Sure, it's LE, but considering the same tuning, housing, ... extra $400 is questionable whether to go for it, in my case.

Mar 14, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #7,736 of 12,035
Yeah, I'm an ALO fanboy, myself. I wish they'd release new amps soon. It's a bit of a shame that they're focused entirely on earphones and cables at the moment.

Speaking of cables, I've paired the Solaris with several different models, and I'm currently settled with the Thor Silver II+ from Effect Audio; I love what I hear. However, it sounds a little better with the Leonidas II - I'm debating if I should drop 900 big ones for them.

You interested in a Leo II 4.4 mmcx? I have one that I plan to sell. :wink:

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #7,740 of 12,035
Osnt solstice more like andromeda?
Yes, they are pretty different IEMs. I haven't heard the solstice yet, but it features the same 5 BA setup as the Andromeda, as opposed to the hybrid design of the Solaris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back