Campfire - Solaris
Feb 21, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #7,607 of 12,035
ended up preferring solaris OG heavily over solaris SE, time to sell the SE babies!
kind of wondering if a cable will somehow make SE > OG for me but i doubt it.
I got a DHC Clone Silver for the Solaris SE and WOW. Previous I was using the ALO Gold 16 and the Clone silver restored the bass, opened up the soundstage and increased the details.

This is using ADV Eartune Fidelity custom tips on the Solaris SE connected balanced into a NW-WM1Z.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #7,609 of 12,035
Curiosity is the driving force of this hobby-- a lot of the time we seek new gear to demo not because of any inherent flaw in what we have for the thrill of trying something new. Honestly many of these TOTL IEMs are way more similar than our descriptions let on sometimes. I've heard great things about the Trio-- have you heard the Legend X?

First of all I agree with everything @mashuto said, both he and I had a listening session last weekend.

I would suggest you reach out to FiR and ask for demos of the M4 and M5 they have been really nice to me and very gracious about letting me take their time with my demos. I don’t think the M4 and M5 are so different that someone would like the M4 better, IMO the M5 just sounds like a better version, but not that different. The price is a bit steep and I wouldn’t opt for the universal because you miss out on the ATOM modules.

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #7,610 of 12,035
First of all I agree with everything @mashuto said, both he and I had a listening session last weekend.

I would suggest you reach out to FiR and ask for demos of the M4 and M5 they have been really nice to me and very gracious about letting me take their time with my demos. I don’t think the M4 and M5 are so different that someone would like the M4 better, IMO the M5 just sounds like a better version, but not that different. The price is a bit steep and I wouldn’t opt for the universal because you miss out on the ATOM modules.

Thanks man...I had an offer to be a part of the Fir loaner your, but I declined. I recently got a VE8 and am pretty satisfied with all the gear I have at the and am content to enjoy it for a bit before allowing myself to be tempted by anything else.

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #7,611 of 12,035
Thanks man...I had an offer to be a part of the Fir loaner your, but I declined. I recently got a VE8 and am pretty satisfied with all the gear I have at the and am content to enjoy it for a bit before allowing myself to be tempted by anything else.
That’s good, man I know you like the Solaris and I really like that too and think it punches way above its price bracket. How would you compare the VE8 to it?

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #7,612 of 12,035
That’s good, man I know you like the Solaris and I really like that too and think it punches way above its price bracket. How would you compare the VE8 to it?

I LOVE the VE8...click on my "Current Impressions and Rankings" in my signature...I posted some thoughts and comparisons between the two there.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #7,613 of 12,035
I got a DHC Clone Silver for the Solaris SE and WOW. Previous I was using the ALO Gold 16 and the Clone silver restored the bass, opened up the soundstage and increased the details.

This is using ADV Eartune Fidelity custom tips on the Solaris SE connected balanced into a NW-WM1Z.
i have a pretty serious custom cable coming for my solarises, wondering if it'll pair better on SE or OG, but rooting for OG's victory

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #7,614 of 12,035
ended up preferring solaris OG heavily over solaris SE, time to sell the SE babies!
kind of wondering if a cable will somehow make SE > OG for me but i doubt it.

What differences do you notice?

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #7,615 of 12,035
What differences do you notice?
as of now with stock cable and n6ii, OG just feels like an open back version of SE, everything comes to life, mids are far richer treble is more airy and apparent, bass may be a tad faster but it's presence is far better and far more DD like, while having that airy, smooth, effortless timbre that OG has vs SE (might've just got a really good og, remember they had qc issues)
soundstage and imaging are both heavily improved.
layering and microdetails, resolution too.

they sound like different iems to me, knowing i prefer speed reso and soundstage/imaging i ended up heavily preferring OG.
SE also seems to have thicker mids.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #7,616 of 12,035
as of now with stock cable and n6ii, OG just feels like an open back version of SE, everything comes to life, mids are far richer treble is more airy and apparent, bass may be a tad faster but it's presence is far better and far more DD like, while having that airy, smooth, effortless timbre that OG has vs SE (might've just got a really good og, remember they had qc issues)
soundstage and imaging are both heavily improved.
layering and microdetails, resolution too.

they sound like different iems to me, knowing i prefer speed reso and soundstage/imaging i ended up heavily preferring OG.
SE also seems to have thicker mids.

The QC issues were massively exaggerated so I don't it's that. Beyond that, we all hear things differently...I'm glad you found something you like.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #7,617 of 12,035
The QC issues were massively exaggerated so I don't it's that.
You're probably right about that, but it's difficult to say it with any level of certainty since there isn't much data to show good consistency either.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #7,618 of 12,035
ll there isn't much data to show good consistency either.

As far as I'm concerned there's enough...I've demoed 5 distinct units and they all sounded the same, plus I saw 4 different ones measured, including mine, and they were all basically the same...and since I was never convinced there was a serious issue to begin with this was basically enough for me to write it off. (Interestingly 64 Audio seems to have much graver QC issues but this doesn't get brought as much for some reason).

That said what he's describing seems more a dramatic difference in perception than a qc issue...but unless either I get to hear his units or he gets them measured I'll never know, so I'm content to dismiss it and just be happy that he's happy with OG.

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #7,619 of 12,035
I've tried 3 Solaris, but had a chance to A/B too and they sounded different enough to conclude they were distinctly different.

Albeit, I'm sure this would happen with many other of the niche brands.

Sadly mine sounds worse lol, albeit it being more coherent, transparent... bass was too flat, sound a bit too dry/ forward tited.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #7,620 of 12,035
Hi all, I could try some in ears lately and I liked Solaris the most. It's energetic and clear sound is amazing. But I suffer tinitus and think the apex tech of 64 audio can help with this. Due I don't have any 64 dealer close to me, any advice or comparision will be much apreciated. I'm interested in Tia Trio and u12t. If I get something similar to Solaris with any of those I'll get one of the 64 audio iems instead... If there's a noticeable upgrade in SQ in favour of the Solaris I'll get them anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back