Campfire - Solaris
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #7,576 of 12,035
I agree with everything you said about the VE8, especially about how everything sounds more 'real'.

I used to play the drums a lot, the cymbals, hi-hat and snare just sounds right to me.

I'm also hearing a lot things I never noticed in my music now, like some bass lines they get a little lost in the music or little voices or whispers in instrumental passages that are really soft and distant.

On another note, I also have 3 iems now and they're really close to what you have lol, Solaris OG, VE8 & Fir M5. If you have the chance you should try demo the FiR M5, I think you'd enjoy them. The M5 satisfies my need for a bassy iem and has really good estat highs, they are kind of U shaped where bass and treble are kind of emphasized but mids are neutral. I kind of neglected my Solaris after receiving them and giving them a proper listen in.

Yeah I've heard great things about the M5...it's also even more expensive than the VE8 so quite out of my range right now...I'm content to put the breaks on for a bit and just enjoy what I have.

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #7,577 of 12,035
Yeah I've heard great things about the M5...it's also even more expensive than the VE8 so quite out of my range right now...I'm content to put the breaks on for a bit and just enjoy what I have.
I actually got the chance over the weekend to demo both the solaris se and the fir m5. Based on your posts here that I have seen and your preferences, I would probably say holding off on that one is the right choice. The M5 was quite nice, but its definitely a bit more of a v shaped sig than the solaris (if only slightly). And honestly, the huge price increase the M5 is asking just didn't really seem worth it to me. I think if it was about the same price as the solaris se, it would be a better contender. But for price to performance there, the solaris I think was significantly better.

Anyways, I was glad to get to try the solaris finally. I can see what the hype is about. Very sort of even/neutral-ish sound, highly detailed, great soundstage, with a bit of nice DD bass. They however were giant and heavy, and I could tell immediately that I would likely have fit issues with them, and thats even coming from my Z1R (which I already do have fit issues with). And I still think I preferred the Z1R over them. I think technicalities between the two are likely very close, but the z1r just hits my preferences more in terms of the tuning. Of course this is all based on a very short listening session.

One thing I did take away from listening to the fir m5 though is that the shell shape were just about perfect for me, which now has me looking into the the 64 tia trio as a complement to my current kit (though likely in place of the EE valkyrie).

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #7,578 of 12,035
I actually got the chance over the weekend to demo both the solaris se and the fir m5. Based on your posts here that I have seen and your preferences, I would probably say holding off on that one is the right choice. The M5 was quite nice, but its definitely a bit more of a v shaped sig than the solaris (if only slightly). And honestly, the huge price increase the M5 is asking just didn't really seem worth it to me. I think if it was about the same price as the solaris se, it would be a better contender. But for price to performance there, the solaris I think was significantly better.

Anyways, I was glad to get to try the solaris finally. I can see what the hype is about. Very sort of even/neutral-ish sound, highly detailed, great soundstage, with a bit of nice DD bass. They however were giant and heavy, and I could tell immediately that I would likely have fit issues with them, and thats even coming from my Z1R (which I already do have fit issues with). And I still think I preferred the Z1R over them. I think technicalities between the two are likely very close, but the z1r just hits my preferences more in terms of the tuning. Of course this is all based on a very short listening session.

One thing I did take away from listening to the fir m5 though is that the shell shape were just about perfect for me, which now has me looking into the the 64 tia trio as a complement to my current kit (though likely in place of the EE valkyrie).

Awesome man I'm glad you got to hear the Solaris finally...I've come across your posts consistently this past year as I've been on my own journey and I feel our tastes and preferences align in many ways. Fit-wise Solaris has a longer nozzle than Z1R so I'm able to brace it in my ears easily, whereas with Z1R its weight and shallow fit meant no matter what I did if I moved around at all gravity would slowly pull them out of my ears. In terms of preferences Z1R and Solaris have more similarities than differences but there are enough differences in key areas that one's musical preferences will likely make one or the other the better choice. Honestly based on what I've read of the Fir IEMs the M4 seems like the one I would like the most...but they're quite costly and honestly I'm really happy with what I have now so I'm probably going to hold off demoing new gear for a while (famous last words). I think you should do what you can to check out the VE8-- I think you would love it.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #7,579 of 12,035
Awesome man I'm glad you got to hear the Solaris finally...I've come across your posts consistently this past year as I've been on my own journey and I feel our tastes and preferences align in many ways. Fit-wise Solaris has a longer nozzle than Z1R so I'm able to brace it in my ears easily, whereas with Z1R its weight and shallow fit meant no matter what I did if I moved around at all gravity would slowly pull them out of my ears. In terms of preferences Z1R and Solaris have more similarities than differences but there are enough differences in key areas that one's musical preferences will likely make one or the other the better choice. Honestly based on what I've read of the Fir IEMs the M4 seems like the one I would like the most...but they're quite costly and honestly I'm really happy with what I have now so I'm probably going to hold off demoing new gear for a while (famous last words). I think you should do what you can to check out the VE8-- I think you would love it.
I actually spent a few hours with @ceeloChamp so I got to hear his, and he had the fir demo units. Even just between us, things that were comfortable for me, were uncomfortable for him (such as the fir IEMs that I thought the fit was perfect). The Z1R is definitely not a great fit for me, but I have just persisted to the point that I found a way to make them ok. The solaris I likely could find a way too, but I could just tell immediately it was going to hit some of my pressure points. Still would have liked to compare the SE to the regular though. I also found them fairly similar to the andromeda gold, especially in terms of soundstage and things like that. The solaris had the edge for me in bass, even though it maybe wasnt quite as much in quantity, it definitely had more of that DD quality that I have now come to realize is pretty much essential for me. The golds though I have also come to realize maybe have some very very slight distortion (maybe, not really sure if its that) in the treble potentially due from the crossoverless design or the acoustic chambering, but its something I actually find quite pleasant. Almost like going from the solaris ultra clean sound, to something that feels slightly more... lively.

I actually got to try out the M4 too, and again based on what I know of your preferences it might be more up your alley. I think all of these are quite similar actually. The M5 wasnt too different from the solaris, and the M4 itself was actually very similar to the M5, but was missing a little bit of sparkle up top compared to the M5. I personally preferred the M5, but again the price is just killer. And since I thought they were all more similar than dissimilar, and knowing that you seem to be pretty completely satisfied with the solaris SE, my gut would again say likely not worth it, at least not without a demo first.

As for the VE8, I have yet to jump on the custom train, and had some difficulties when I tried to get impressions done. And it seems like finding a universal version is not exactly easy. Plus honestly, even though I am looking at the tia trio right now, my goal is to cut down to maybe 2-3 high end pairs and just kind of let myself be happy. Which, I kind of am... but damn if that desire to just try them all out doesnt persist.

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #7,580 of 12,035
I actually spent a few hours with @ceeloChamp so I got to hear his, and he had the fir demo units. Even just between us, things that were comfortable for me, were uncomfortable for him (such as the fir IEMs that I thought the fit was perfect). The Z1R is definitely not a great fit for me, but I have just persisted to the point that I found a way to make them ok. The solaris I likely could find a way too, but I could just tell immediately it was going to hit some of my pressure points. Still would have liked to compare the SE to the regular though. I also found them fairly similar to the andromeda gold, especially in terms of soundstage and things like that. The solaris had the edge for me in bass, even though it maybe wasnt quite as much in quantity, it definitely had more of that DD quality that I have now come to realize is pretty much essential for me. The golds though I have also come to realize maybe have some very very slight distortion (maybe, not really sure if its that) in the treble potentially due from the crossoverless design or the acoustic chambering, but its something I actually find quite pleasant. Almost like going from the solaris ultra clean sound, to something that feels slightly more... lively.

I actually got to try out the M4 too, and again based on what I know of your preferences it might be more up your alley. I think all of these are quite similar actually. The M5 wasnt too different from the solaris, and the M4 itself was actually very similar to the M5, but was missing a little bit of sparkle up top compared to the M5. I personally preferred the M5, but again the price is just killer. And since I thought they were all more similar than dissimilar, and knowing that you seem to be pretty completely satisfied with the solaris SE, my gut would again say likely not worth it, at least not without a demo first.

As for the VE8, I have yet to jump on the custom train, and had some difficulties when I tried to get impressions done. And it seems like finding a universal version is not exactly easy. Plus honestly, even though I am looking at the tia trio right now, my goal is to cut down to maybe 2-3 high end pairs and just kind of let myself be happy. Which, I kind of am... but damn if that desire to just try them all out doesnt persist.

Curiosity is the driving force of this hobby-- a lot of the time we seek new gear to demo not because of any inherent flaw in what we have for the thrill of trying something new. Honestly many of these TOTL IEMs are way more similar than our descriptions let on sometimes. I've heard great things about the Trio-- have you heard the Legend X?

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #7,581 of 12,035
Curiosity is the driving force of this hobby-- a lot of the time we seek new gear to demo not because of any inherent flaw in what we have for the thrill of trying something new. Honestly many of these TOTL IEMs are way more similar than our descriptions let on sometimes. I've heard great things about the Trio-- have you heard the Legend X?
Nope, but if fit on the valkyrie is anything to go by, the legend X will most likely not play well with my ears. The LX actually interested me more than the valkyrie since most of what I have read says its like the big brother to the atlas, which I am fond of. But the dragonhide faceplate and price won me over for the valkyrie. However, the shape of the valkyrie doesnt play nice with my ears (and the sound, while nice, just isnt quite what I was looking for). And I imagine the LX is similar, but larger, which just sounds like a recipe for pain.

And indeed. Had so much to listen to yesterday that it got to a point that it was actually somewhat difficult to even form any solid impressions.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #7,582 of 12,035
Nope, but if fit on the valkyrie is anything to go by, the legend X will most likely not play well with my ears. The LX actually interested me more than the valkyrie since most of what I have read says its like the big brother to the atlas, which I am fond of. But the dragonhide faceplate and price won me over for the valkyrie. However, the shape of the valkyrie doesnt play nice with my ears (and the sound, while nice, just isnt quite what I was looking for). And I imagine the LX is similar, but larger, which just sounds like a recipe for pain.

And indeed. Had so much to listen to yesterday that it got to a point that it was actually somewhat difficult to even form any solid impressions.

Not heard the Valkyrie but I have both the atlas and the legend X... I wouldn’t say they were too much alike tbh, the legend comes across as relatively neutral until the bass comes on on the track. It’s strange but really quite something to hear, the synth x cross over must be doing it but it’s great, the detail retrieval, soundstage and general tonality is also much better on the legend compared to the atlas. The Atlas on the other hand is predominantly V shaped and has a peakier treble in places than the legend. The bass is also nearly always present. Much more of a plug in and play headphone for fun... still love it though but the legend is superior I’m pretty much every way.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #7,583 of 12,035
A custom tip like the ADV Eartune Fidelity tips help a lot for comfort and staying put. I can wear the Solaris or Solaris SE for hours without them falling out or getting uncomfortable.

Once you go custom tips or CIEM you'll never go back.

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #7,584 of 12,035
A custom tip like the ADV Eartune Fidelity tips help a lot for comfort and staying put. I can wear the Solaris or Solaris SE for hours without them falling out or getting uncomfortable.

Once you go custom tips or CIEM you'll never go back.
I went to get impressions made and was told they couldn't make impressions due to excessive earwax, which I worry will be something I'll likely constantly have to deal with. So, customs and custom tips are kind of a non starter. Especially with some of the difficulty demoing stuff for me.

Not heard the Valkyrie but I have both the atlas and the legend X... I wouldn’t say they were too much alike tbh, the legend comes across as relatively neutral until the bass comes on on the track. It’s strange but really quite something to hear, the synth x cross over must be doing it but it’s great, the detail retrieval, soundstage and general tonality is also much better on the legend compared to the atlas. The Atlas on the other hand is predominantly V shaped and has a peakier treble in places than the legend. The bass is also nearly always present. Much more of a plug in and play headphone for fun... still love it though but the legend is superior I’m pretty much every way.
Hmm interesting, a lot of the impressions I have read seemed to indicate it was fairly similar to the atlas, but a more refined sound. Interesting to hear otherwise. Unfortunately though with the Valkyrie fit issues and my reluctance to go custom, they have been rules out.

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #7,585 of 12,035
I went to get impressions made and was told they couldn't make impressions due to excessive earwax, which I worry will be something I'll likely constantly have to deal with. So, customs and custom tips are kind of a non starter. Especially with some of the difficulty demoing stuff for me.

Hmm interesting, a lot of the impressions I have read seemed to indicate it was fairly similar to the atlas, but a more refined sound. Interesting to hear otherwise. Unfortunately though with the Valkyrie fit issues and my reluctance to go custom, they have been rules out.

I can see why someone would make those comparisons when the bass kicks, both have monstrous bass with the X seemingly having more sub bass and the Atlas having more mid. I find the legend to be more L shape frequency response than the V of the atlas. Hard to explain without hearing it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #7,586 of 12,035

I agree that the LX is technically superior to the Atlas, but I feel that fundamentally they're both different takes on, broadly speaking, the same sort of bass heavy fun sound. The Atlas is more purely V shaped and the LX might be classed almost as a W give the forwardness in some regions of the mids. They're fundamentally different beasts, the Atlas being a single DD and the LX being a hybrid but I would still say that, based on everything I've heard in the past year, the two of them belong in the same general category, with one being a more refined version of the other. The LX is a great rec for someone who loves the Atlas but wants more and better of the same.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #7,588 of 12,035
For those that have or have demo'd the Solaris OG and SE, did you find the SE a little better on fit in your ear? I own the OG and listened to the SE at CanJam NYC and thought for fit was more comfortable with the SE. Thanks!

It's a wee bit smaller. Hard to tell from pictures but OG is a bit longer and wider but SE is a bit thicker so it sticks out from your ear a bit more. Fit was the same for me on both but I could see it being better for people who struggled with OG.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #7,589 of 12,035
Fit wise, I need custom ear tips to wear the Solaris. Otherwise, I find them a bit big and they cause some hot spots on my ear. Out of my collection of IEMs, it's probably the only one that has comfort issues when using standard ear tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back