Campfire - Solaris
Feb 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #7,563 of 12,035
I don't understand what you mean here. Music itself is coming from different sources. When you're in front of an orchestra the sound is coming from different sources and it is very natural.

I don't mean sources within the recording, but within the IEM. An IEM that is coherent will blend the sound from all the different drivers into a cohesive unity, one that is not will make it sound almost as though you have more than one IEM in your ear.

@8481 I have recently gotten a VE8 (reshelled) and I'm loving it for the most part. My only nitpick is that I'm noticing a small degree of sibilance on some tracks in the form of s, sh and ch sounds being ever so slightly exaggerated at times...do you notice this with yours as well? I'm wondering if it's a just an issue with mine (though I only really notice it at higher volumes). Thanks!

@fokta are you leaving the Solaris club?

Feb 15, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #7,564 of 12,035
@8481 I have recently gotten a VE8 (reshelled) and I'm loving it for the most part. My only nitpick is that I'm noticing a small degree of sibilance on some tracks in the form of s, sh and ch sounds being ever so slightly exaggerated at times...do you notice this with yours as well? I'm wondering if it's a just an issue with mine (though I only really notice it at higher volumes). Thanks!

Nothing enough for me to notice, then again I'm using a different cable. I'll try swapping the cables back and let you know.

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #7,566 of 12,035
no, I only used what available... will try it again in the future...

VE8 is full BA, Elysium is Hybrid DD BA EST... like Fir M5...

You must try Elysium, the mids are truly amazing

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #7,568 of 12,035
Just wanted to state that JDS Labs EL AMP II is a great match with Solaris. Near 0 output impedance and zero hiss with Solaris. I tried many DAPs like DX157, M11 and always heard some hiss. Kinda surprised that a powerful desktop amp can be silent with Solaris. Needless to say measurements easily compete with THX AAA amps too.
Highly recommended

P.S. JDS Element II is the combo option although might not be as hiss free as with EL AMP II + D10.
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #7,570 of 12,035
Thanks 8481, what about the Bass? detail retrieval?

I know you weren't asking me but I thought I'd offer my perspective. Bass on Solaris vs. VE8 is very similar in quantity with the differences being defined largely by BA vs. DD. VE8 bass a little quicker and more detailed, Solaris bass has a little more of that DD presence. I honestly don't notice that much of a difference jumping from one to the other with respect to bass. Where the VE8 really knocks it out of the park is with the midrange.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #7,571 of 12,035
You must try Elysium, the mids are truly amazing
Of all the IEMs that were talked about in the last few pages, the Elysium, at least to me, has the poorest mid-range. The VE8 is definitely the king of the hill here, an all-BA IEM that I actually love. The A12t and the A18t also have better mids than the Elysium. I don't know, I didn't get a very good impression of the latter when I tried it (twice). I felt that it was lacking a little in definition, and was a little distant. Oh, well, different ears, I guess.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #7,572 of 12,035
Of all the IEMs that were talked about in the last few pages, the Elysium, at least to me, has the poorest mid-range. The VE8 is definitely the king of the hill here, an all-BA IEM that I actually love. The A12t and the A18t also have better mids than the Elysium. I don't know, I didn't get a very good impression of the latter when I tried it (twice). I felt that it was lacking a little in definition, and was a little distant. Oh, well, different ears, I guess.

Yep, definitely different ears

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #7,573 of 12,035
Thanks 8481, what about the Bass? detail retrieval?
I know you weren't asking me but I thought I'd offer my perspective. Bass on Solaris vs. VE8 is very similar in quantity with the differences being defined largely by BA vs. DD. VE8 bass a little quicker and more detailed, Solaris bass has a little more of that DD presence. I honestly don't notice that much of a difference jumping from one to the other with respect to bass. Where the VE8 really knocks it out of the park is with the midrange.

Pretty much what Rockwell said, usual BA bass vs DD bass. VE8 really reminds me of Andro Gold but better.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #7,574 of 12,035
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #7,575 of 12,035
I posted some impressions, curious to hear if my thoughts on VE8 align with yours: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...ortable-audio-discussion.826876/post-15472104

I agree with everything you said about the VE8, especially about how everything sounds more 'real'.

I used to play the drums a lot, the cymbals, hi-hat and snare just sounds right to me.

I'm also hearing a lot things I never noticed in my music now, like some bass lines they get a little lost in the music or little voices or whispers in instrumental passages that are really soft and distant.

On another note, I also have 3 iems now and they're really close to what you have lol, Solaris OG, VE8 & Fir M5. If you have the chance you should try demo the FiR M5, I think you'd enjoy them. The M5 satisfies my need for a bassy iem and has really good estat highs, they are kind of U shaped where bass and treble are kind of emphasized but mids are neutral. I kind of neglected my Solaris after receiving them and giving them a proper listen in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back