Campfire - Solaris
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #6,976 of 12,035
USA...I see them on Amazon and you are describing what I have thought about doing many times. I also have no problem with the fit and certainly not the SQ of Solaris. When are your new design supposed to be shipped?

According to CFA they begin shipping on the 12th, so if I'm lucky mine will go out in the first wave and it should arrive at Headphone Bar sometime the following week. I'm hoping to pick it up in person around the 20th, which will allow me to spend the holiday season "getting to know it".

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #6,977 of 12,035
i was very tempted by the black Friday Gold cable. Looking forward to any impressions. Please tag me when you do. Thanks!
Just got the Gold 16 cable from the Black Friday sale yesterday and spent a while switching out the connectors. I ended up using the plussound mmcx because the gold hardware matched the entire feel of the cable and also compliments the Solaris quite well. I reterminated SXC8 and REF8 before as well and by far the Gold 16 is the hardest of the bunch. The individual strands are extremely fine and stripping the cable not carefully and you might cut off part of the cable with it. I do recall however the REF8 jacket was much harder to remove vs the Gold 16.

I haven’t ABed the cable yet nor is it burned in, but first impression is that the Andromeda sparkle I loved is now back on the Solaris. Highs goes into almost piercing territory like the Andromeda’s do naturally. Mids and vocals are more forward as well, on the SXC8 sometimes voices takes a backseat but with the Gold16 the separation becomes better and while some frequencies are still recessed, they are very much separated, more than the SXC8.

Bass however is still something I’m not used to. The cable adds so much midbass and makes the music a lot more fun, but it takes away a bit of the analytical qualities I usually look for when listening to classical. I had to EQ the bass and some of the midbass down to get the sound I was used to. However anything with ample amount of bass now becomes extremely fun.

Overall I feel the sounds mixes together a lot more, yet still maintains very separated when it comes to layering. Maybe that’s what they mean by liquid sounding?

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #6,978 of 12,035
I have never heard anyone say that about the Sony, it appears either it works or it doesn't.

A few guys in the Z1R thread (including myself) have reported that the fit improved with time. But it should be at least decent to begin with.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #6,979 of 12,035
Solaris and N6ii is my favorite combo at the moment. I'm eager to try the Cube but 2.5mm and its size keep it from being a contender as a portable solution for me. I'm hoping Cayin implements the Cube's DAC chips in a future module upgrade.

AK DAP works magic with Solaris, especially with the 2.5mm balanced. You hear a bit of hiss with Kann Cube (IEMatch strongly recommended, but S1000M with balanced connection is definitely the way to go.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #6,980 of 12,035
AK DAP works magic with Solaris, especially with the 2.5mm balanced. You hear a bit of hiss with Kann Cube (IEMatch strongly recommended, but S1000M with balanced connection is definitely the way to go.

Yeah n6ii with A01 was the best pairing I heard with Solaris. I'm sure it will sound just as nice with the SE.

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #6,981 of 12,035
Yeah n6ii with A01 was the best pairing I heard with Solaris. I'm sure it will sound just as nice with the SE.
Be open mind, u should tried pairing with Kann Cube, since is not like usual AK sound Sig. Since you more prefer to N6ii A01...

anyway... was trying local cable, VERUS Ref2 pair to SOLARIS and DX221Mk2.
The cable is 2 strand 25 AWG UP-OCC LITZ SPC 3.5 TRS. The cable main highlight is transparent... compare to Slitz 3.5, is that the VERUS Ref 2 more emphasize on Mid Bass and Vocal (more Coherent side). while SLitz better in High especially upper high (wide soundstage, Spark & clarity).
20191206_111134.jpg
20191206_111140.jpg
IMG-20191206-WA0024.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #6,982 of 12,035
Be open mind, u should tried pairing with Kann Cube, since is not like usual AK sound Sig

I've heard that Cube sounds nice with Solaris-- I believe it's Ken Ball's favorite source for it. It's too big to be viable as a portable source for me though so the sound is kind of irrelevant.

In other news t-minus 2 days until SE Solaris ships...woop!

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #6,984 of 12,035
Its interesting that Cayin's N6ii E01 motherboard & CA Solaris Limited Edition are coming out at nearly the same time!

If by "interesting" you mean tempting AF.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #6,985 of 12,035
Another Solaris owner and loving them :) by far my best IEMs so far.

I pair then with dx228 soon dx229 ex

does anybody have an ifi iematch with Solaris there’s some hiss with amp9 can live with it but would be nice to reduce it.

does it ruin the sound ?

also do people buy it in 3.5/2.5 I guess 2.5mm is more versatile but may not be required with amp 8 since it’s pretty low noise anyway.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #6,986 of 12,035
does anybody have an ifi iematch with Solaris there’s some hiss with amp9 can live with it but would be nice to reduce it.

does it ruin the sound ?
Hi.. Same pairing... Based on my exp, AMP9 must with Ifi, mine is ebuddy.
Regarding sound, it will be difficult to compare, since The Hiss is in to the song and even gap etc, pairing to SOLARIS without Adapter impedance (ifi).
With Ifi, I can told you that, AMP9 is not tube sound, its just make the bass flow gapless between the mid bass and rumble... with additional Rich Vocal...
And, AMP9 with Solaris + Ifi is not zero Hiss...

Hope it helps, and better try yourself...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #6,987 of 12,035
Another Solaris owner and loving them :) by far my best IEMs so far.

I pair then with dx228 soon dx229 ex

does it ruin the sound ?

also do people buy it in 3.5/2.5 I guess 2.5mm is more versatile but may not be required with amp 8 since it’s pretty low noise anyway.
I use the 2.5mm with the KANN Cube. It does eliminate the hiss and gives a black background but i feel that it takes away some of the dynamism of the pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back