Campfire - Solaris
Dec 6, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #6,962 of 12,035
Spoke to Ken Ball when I was writing up my review for these when they first came out - there is only one crossover in the Solaris, and that is between the midrange and the dual TAEC high drivers. The BA doing mids actually runs full range with an emphasis on mids (if I remember correctly - it's been a while), so there is some "overlap" with the DD in the bass as well.

This also accounts for some of the differing opinions of bass in the Solaris, given that CA are known to use drivers that vary with output impedance like the setup on the Andromeda. Not tested it properly as I don't have an impedance measurement setup, but suspect different sources and different cables (with different OI, not materials) can alter the amount of "BA" contribution to the low end just like the Andro can be made bassier or leaner depending on the source being used.

Hope that made sense - currently dealing with a four week old newborn and the associated sleep deprivation, so probably could have explained myself a bit better! :wink:
Congratulations on your child!

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #6,963 of 12,035
Spoke to Ken Ball when I was writing up my review for these when they first came out - there is only one crossover in the Solaris, and that is between the midrange and the dual TAEC high drivers. The BA doing mids actually runs full range with an emphasis on mids (if I remember correctly - it's been a while), so there is some "overlap" with the DD in the bass as well.

This also accounts for some of the differing opinions of bass in the Solaris, given that CA are known to use drivers that vary with output impedance like the setup on the Andromeda. Not tested it properly as I don't have an impedance measurement setup, but suspect different sources and different cables (with different OI, not materials) can alter the amount of "BA" contribution to the low end just like the Andro can be made bassier or leaner depending on the source being used.

Hope that made sense - currently dealing with a four week old newborn and the associated sleep deprivation, so probably could have explained myself a bit better! :wink:
4 weeks ? :D it will get worse before it gets better :D congrats :)

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #6,964 of 12,035

Congrats on the birth of your new child! :)

need to get these away from my head...

Solaris with DMP-Z1...

My highlight is Fluidity sounding...
if you just aiming for Bass, vocal or Treble... Z1 will be just above average Sounding..
but when u put together, OMG, I was looking the wrong way, regarding good song need good separation, well Z1 Denied that... like connecting dot, it makes each freq gapless without loosing the detail.
I am limited by word to express...
if there's a chance for you to tried Z1... dont Hesitate to ask...

Ahh... now I can move on... is been clouding my judgement...
Heh. I wish your wallet good luck!

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #6,965 of 12,035
9A3C4A13-0F83-4410-93AA-E851637C26E5.png

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #6,966 of 12,035
Dec 6, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #6,968 of 12,035

Congratz on ur Baby...

So the Mid BA will be full range...
that will be interesting... since cable with good conductivity will affect the sound...

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #6,969 of 12,035
Heh. I wish your wallet good luck!
Yeah... I shift my thoughts to headphones for awhile...

Just want to share, Yesterday met Solaris user with wireless combo, Smartphone - M0s - SLitz SE - Solaris.
The combo produces Hiss, if you can accept that, the pairing give very coherent Sound to Solaris, not in the detail level like pairing with LPGT. But for Midcentric can be quite Good...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #6,970 of 12,035
Ahh.. the last thing preventing me from buying these has gone. Hifiheadphones have them for pre-order.
I am not sure if I will hear a drastic difference here, or whether I am better of getting the IER Z1R for a truly different sound.

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #6,972 of 12,035
Ahh.. the last thing preventing me from buying these has gone. Hifiheadphones have them for pre-order.
I am not sure if I will hear a drastic difference here, or whether I am better of getting the IER Z1R for a truly different sound.

I would recommend demoing the Z1R first as many (including myself) struggle significantly with the fit.

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #6,973 of 12,035
I would recommend demoing the Z1R first as many (including myself) struggle significantly with the fit.
It is the one thing that has kept me from getting the Sony. I still think if I could find them super cheap in the classifieds I would try them. That said the Solaris has a sweet spot on the fit and once you find it you have no problem with it's size. I have never heard anyone say that about the Sony, it appears either it works or it doesn't.

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #6,974 of 12,035
It is the one thing that has kept me from getting the Sony. I still think if I could find them super cheap in the classifieds I would try them. That said the Solaris has a sweet spot on the fit and once you find it you have no problem with it's size. I have never heard anyone say that about the Sony, it appears either it works or it doesn't.

Are you in North America? If so there are often good deals on used Z1Rs that are fulfilled by Amazon allowing you to take advantage of their return policy if you decide it's not for you...that's what I did. Fit was one of the major factors in my returning it. On the other hand the Solaris fits me so nicely it's almost as though it was made for my ears.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #6,975 of 12,035
Are you in North America? If so there are often good deals on used Z1Rs that are fulfilled by Amazon allowing you to take advantage of their return policy if you decide it's not for you...that's what I did. Fit was one of the major factors in my returning it. On the other hand the Solaris fits me so nicely it's almost as though it was made for my ears.
USA...I see them on Amazon and you are describing what I have thought about doing many times. I also have no problem with the fit and certainly not the SQ of Solaris. When are your new design supposed to be shipped?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back