Campfire - Solaris
Dec 5, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #6,946 of 12,035
Solaris hiss is based on DAP... even with BRISE cable which have the tech to reduce Hiss, still not helping a lot.

@TheHighlander, what @fullbass suggest is right... try to hear the music...
For me, custome Eartip was helping, so my brain can focus on the music while the hiss still in the back...

edit : Based on my experience... with Balanced connection... the most black background is LPGT, DMP 1Z, SP1KM, Cayin N8...
Even SP2KCU still has a bit hiss, which is fine, because Hiss Correlate with Detail, Soundstage, and Airy... IMHO...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #6,947 of 12,035
TheHighlander, perhaps in this genre the hiss is more noticeable, so I did not pay attention because I listen another genres. Users are advised to use Pure silver cable (ALO) to get rid of hissing. You tried?
This cable is the stock cable from solaris ?

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #6,948 of 12,035
Solaris hiss is based on DAP... even with BRISE cable which have the tech to reduce Hiss, still not helping a lot.

@TheHighlander, what @fullbass suggest is right... try to hear the music...
For me, custome Eartip was helping, so my brain can focus on the music while the hiss still in the back...
Im trying. Thats why I listen solaris only in 3.5 output from sp1000. Solaris, at least to my ears, not good from n6ii A01. Specially from 4.4 and wifi on. For my other IEMs (kahn, Hyka te5b, dunu dk3001, etc) no problem.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #6,949 of 12,035
Im trying. Thats why I listen solaris only in 3.5 output from sp1000. Solaris, at least to my ears, not good from n6ii A01. Specially from 4.4 and wifi on. For my other IEMs (kahn, Hyka te5b, dunu dk3001, etc) no problem.
Well... u are not wrong... I am also quite annoy with Hiss while other said different...

recently, a senior suggest a bout mood.... try when u listen after prime time while you will be not distracted by daily activities... I tried, and find that I enjoy more..

make peace with ourself and also avoiding from daily activities is not a easy thing for me...

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #6,950 of 12,035
need to get these away from my head...

20191130_134315.jpg

Solaris with DMP-Z1...

My highlight is Fluidity sounding...
if you just aiming for Bass, vocal or Treble... Z1 will be just above average Sounding..
but when u put together, OMG, I was looking the wrong way, regarding good song need good separation, well Z1 Denied that... like connecting dot, it makes each freq gapless without loosing the detail.
I am limited by word to express...
if there's a chance for you to tried Z1... dont Hesitate to ask...

Ahh... now I can move on... is been clouding my judgement...

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #6,951 of 12,035

Weird Solaris -> n6ii/a01 was a match made in heaven to my ears.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #6,952 of 12,035
This cable is the stock cable from solaris ?

Not sure if I can post links
I mentioned Pure Silver Litz from ALO Audio ($249)

But I have not used this cable yet and cannot confirm whether it helps against hissing. I do not hear hissing with stock cable - Super Litz. Perhaps because it has 3.5 mm stereo

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #6,953 of 12,035
I don't think Solaris is bass light either-- my suspicion is that people who say that were never able to get a proper fit/seal (I have said that Solaris could use a touch more impact in the midbass region...but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "light" on the bass). Coherence is one of Solaris' strong suits and it wasn't until I compared it with the Z1R that I really understood what the term meant. I think a significant factor is that in the Solaris the BA and the DD "share" responsibility for the bass, which means a more seamless blend of drivers but also that you're not getting unalloyed DD bass with Solaris like you are with the Z1R...and I have heard some people complain that Solaris' bass has a touch of the dreaded "BA" timbre. I've never really noticed this myself and can thoroughly detect the DD element of Solaris' bass but we all hear things differently...suffice to say if coherence can be maintained by blending the BA and DD like Solaris does then imho it's worth it because I've come to learn that coherence is something I personally really value in an IEM. Furthermore, if I was seeking an unbridled DD bass experience I would go for an IEM that makes no pretense of "balance" like the LX or CFA's own Atlas.

Edit: I would like to add also that it is not my intent to trash the Z1R or say that it's a bad IEM or anything-- we all have different priorities and things we look for and value. I am simply offering the perspective of someone who spent many hours and days a/b'ing the Solaris and Z1R and found the Solaris to be a superior sounding IEM overall according to my own tastes and preferences.
As far I know , Solaris bass is only from the DD but the DD shares the mids with one BA or am I wrong ?

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #6,954 of 12,035
I use my Solaris directly from my LG V40. There is no hiss that I can hear. I would say its on the brighter side as a source though. I may be looking for something else soon.

Thanks for the info, it makes me think than maybe its not a good idea step up from se846 to Solaris using a lg v30 as source. I like my actual combo, but seems there are better things out there and upgraditis bites hard lol. Pretty important to me to have internet while listening on the go, so a dap is not an option for the moment.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #6,955 of 12,035
As far I know , Solaris bass is only from the DD but the DD shares the mids with one BA or am I wrong ?

Sub-bass yes but I think there might be some overlap in the mid-bass region resulting in some people complaining that there is a slight "BA'ness" to Solaris bass.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #6,957 of 12,035
Dec 6, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #6,958 of 12,035

Spoke to Ken Ball when I was writing up my review for these when they first came out - there is only one crossover in the Solaris, and that is between the midrange and the dual TAEC high drivers. The BA doing mids actually runs full range with an emphasis on mids (if I remember correctly - it's been a while), so there is some "overlap" with the DD in the bass as well.

This also accounts for some of the differing opinions of bass in the Solaris, given that CA are known to use drivers that vary with output impedance like the setup on the Andromeda. Not tested it properly as I don't have an impedance measurement setup, but suspect different sources and different cables (with different OI, not materials) can alter the amount of "BA" contribution to the low end just like the Andro can be made bassier or leaner depending on the source being used.

Hope that made sense - currently dealing with a four week old newborn and the associated sleep deprivation, so probably could have explained myself a bit better! :wink:

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #6,959 of 12,035
Spoke to Ken Ball when I was writing up my review for these when they first came out - there is only one crossover in the Solaris, and that is between the midrange and the dual TAEC high drivers. The BA doing mids actually runs full range with an emphasis on mids (if I remember correctly - it's been a while), so there is some "overlap" with the DD in the bass as well.

This also accounts for some of the differing opinions of bass in the Solaris, given that CA are known to use drivers that vary with output impedance like the setup on the Andromeda. Not tested it properly as I don't have an impedance measurement setup, but suspect different sources and different cables (with different OI, not materials) can alter the amount of "BA" contribution to the low end just like the Andro can be made bassier or leaner depending on the source being used.

Hope that made sense - currently dealing with a four week old newborn and the associated sleep deprivation, so probably could have explained myself a bit better! :wink:
An interesting theory, but too speculative for me.

Congrats for the new addition! Wish you all the best of health!

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #6,960 of 12,035
An interesting theory, but too speculative for me.

Congrats for the new addition! Wish you all the best of health!

Cheers!

The bass theory is just a supposition, but the mid BA is definitely full range, as had that confirmed by Ken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back