Campfire - Solaris
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #6,931 of 12,035
I find the Solaris to be very coherent listen as well. I am also of the camp that it's not "bass light" as others describe it sometimes. The sub bass is not the Solaris's highlight, but I find it have average quantity but super quality bass. I will save my full description for review. Overall, the Solaris is a worthy listen, given it is large and fit may not be for everyone. I have heard the same for the Sony.

I don't think Solaris is bass light either-- my suspicion is that people who say that were never able to get a proper fit/seal (I have said that Solaris could use a touch more impact in the midbass region...but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "light" on the bass). Coherence is one of Solaris' strong suits and it wasn't until I compared it with the Z1R that I really understood what the term meant. I think a significant factor is that in the Solaris the BA and the DD "share" responsibility for the bass, which means a more seamless blend of drivers but also that you're not getting unalloyed DD bass with Solaris like you are with the Z1R...and I have heard some people complain that Solaris' bass has a touch of the dreaded "BA" timbre. I've never really noticed this myself and can thoroughly detect the DD element of Solaris' bass but we all hear things differently...suffice to say if coherence can be maintained by blending the BA and DD like Solaris does then imho it's worth it because I've come to learn that coherence is something I personally really value in an IEM. Furthermore, if I was seeking an unbridled DD bass experience I would go for an IEM that makes no pretense of "balance" like the LX or CFA's own Atlas.

Edit: I would like to add also that it is not my intent to trash the Z1R or say that it's a bad IEM or anything-- we all have different priorities and things we look for and value. I am simply offering the perspective of someone who spent many hours and days a/b'ing the Solaris and Z1R and found the Solaris to be a superior sounding IEM overall according to my own tastes and preferences.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #6,932 of 12,035
Rockwell75, totally agree with you about Solaris bass

I’m rather a basshead than not. I love my CA Cascade. Since I bought Solaris blindly, I was very worried that I would not like the bass (because of different reviews and feedbacks). But I was amazed at what quality and depth bass it has. Again I’m rather a basshead than not. I used to want to buy CA Atlas because I thought there was a lot of bass so I want it. But when I listened to them, I did not understand why I should pay such money for this. It was a very lively and regular bass. Good but nothing special.

Solaris has an expensive sound and, more strikingly, amazing big bass. I use it with Cayin N6 mk2 A01 which adds fat and mass to the sound. But for some reason I can enjoy it only in the foam tips. Any silicone tips for me = deflated bass

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #6,933 of 12,035
Solaris has an expensive sound and, more strikingly, amazing big bass. I use it with Cayin N6 mk2 A01 which adds fat and mass to the sound. But for some reason I can enjoy it only in the foam tips. Any silicon tips for me = deflated bass

Agreed about n6ii-- it's a great source for Solaris. I can't wait to try it with the SE Solaris I'm getting (hopefully) in two weeks.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #6,934 of 12,035
I don't think Solaris is bass light either-- my suspicion is that people who say that were never able to get a proper fit/seal (I have said that Solaris could use a touch more impact in the midbass region...but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "light" on the bass). Coherence is one of Solaris' strong suits and it wasn't until I compared it with the Z1R that I really understood what the term meant. I think a significant factor is that in the Solaris the BA and the DD "share" responsibility for the bass, which means a more seamless blend of drivers but also that you're not getting unalloyed DD bass with Solaris like you are with the Z1R...and I have heard some people complain that Solaris' bass has a touch of the dreaded "BA" timbre. I've never really noticed this myself and can thoroughly detect the DD element of Solaris' bass but we all hear things differently...suffice to say if coherence can be maintained by blending the BA and DD like Solaris does then imho it's worth it because I've come to learn that coherence is something I personally really value in an IEM. Furthermore, if I was seeking an unbridled DD bass experience I would go for an IEM that makes no pretense of "balance" like the LX or CFA's own Atlas.

Edit: I would like to add also that it is not my intent to trash the Z1R or say that it's a bad IEM or anything-- we all have different priorities and things we look for and value. I am simply offering the perspective of someone who spent many hours and days a/b'ing the Solaris and Z1R and found the Solaris to be a superior sounding IEM overall according to my own tastes and preferences.
Don't worry, I doubt anybody is going to accuse you of trashing the Z1R. We all have our own tastes and preferences; these are subjective metrics that define a desired sound.

To add some context, I actually prefer the Solaris to the Z1R. The Sony can be very engaging, with some of the best bass in the IEM sphere, but the Solaris sounds.. "just right" to my ears. It's an IEM that I can wear for hours without feeling any fatiguing effects. The comfort factor is another thing altogether, but the sound comes quite close to perfection.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #6,935 of 12,035

Well put!

While I strongly disagree with your assessment of the coherency of the Z1R, I recognize that it's nothing more than an opinion, based solely on how I hear and interpret sound. The only thing I can say in its favor is that I'm being honest with myself and with the good people forum. But that's about it.

But it's funny that I read this now because I've just had an exceptional listening session last night with the Z1R. It's a bit relevant to this forum because what made the session special is that I swapped the stock cable for a CA silver litz (Atlas stock cable). For anyone who is somewhat familiar with my "beliefs" (see signature) this might sound odd, but I didn't do it in search of better sound, just better comfort (I really like the build/ergonomics/comfort of the Campfire stock cables). To my surprise my mind was blown by how awesome the music sounded (ZX300). It was a weird sensation, like something was missing from the music, but not in terms of frequencies or anything like that, just like some distraction was gone (let's call it noise), but at the same time everything that was left sounded incredibly clear, well defined and spacious. So yeah, more than any other time, I am convinced the Z1R is awesome!

Now don't think that what I'm saying is that the new cable made all or any of the difference. It was probably my mood, the fact that it was really late and quiet and it might have had to do also with the fact that I spent a good 2 hours that afternoon at my local audio dealer listening to a bunch of gear (wanted to spend some money on some new toy) and everything sounded disjointed, discombobulated and all around awful compared to what my brain had become accustomed to. Even the Z1R didn't sound that amazing to me immediately after that ear rape I sustained.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #6,936 of 12,035
Well put!

While I strongly disagree with your assessment of the coherency of the Z1R, I recognize that it's nothing more than an opinion, based solely on how I hear and interpret sound. The only thing I can say in its favor is that I'm being honest with myself and with the good people forum. But that's about it.

But it's funny that I read this now because I've just had an exceptional listening session last night with the Z1R. It's a bit relevant to this forum because what made the session special is that I swapped the stock cable for a CA silver litz (Atlas stock cable). For anyone who is somewhat familiar with my "beliefs" (see signature) this might sound odd, but I didn't do it in search of better sound, just better comfort (I really like the build/ergonomics/comfort of the Campfire stock cables). To my surprise my mind was blown by how awesome the music sounded (ZX300). It was a weird sensation, like something was missing from the music, but not in terms of frequencies or anything like that, just like some distraction was gone (let's call it noise), but at the same time everything that was left sounded incredibly clear, well defined and spacious. So yeah, more than any other time, I am convinced the Z1R is awesome!

Now don't think that what I'm saying is that the new cable made all or any of the difference. It was probably my mood, the fact that it was really late and quiet and it might have had to do also with the fact that I spent a good 2 hours that afternoon at my local audio dealer listening to a bunch of gear (wanted to spend some money on some new toy) and everything sounded disjointed, discombobulated and all around awful compared to what my brain had become accustomed to. Even the Z1R didn't sound that amazing to me immediately after that ear rape I sustained.

I never noticed a difference with I a/b'd the Atlas cable on my Solaris. Interestingly there was a post on reddit some time ago that raved about the Z1R cable on Solaris. I tried to buy one and some chump tried to sell me one for a stupid amount of money (which I passed on). Interestingly, later when I had Z1R and Solaris at the same time, I swapped cables...didn't hear a difference in sound at all but the stock Solaris cable was my preferred cable on Z1R because the memory wire helped hold them in my ears.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #6,937 of 12,035
Well put!

Wow this nocebo effect is strong!
Maybe you should try blind test with this cable...just in case...

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #6,938 of 12,035
Hi all, anyone using the Solaris from a lg smartphone with quad dac? How does It match? Hiss?

I really like my lg v30 for convenience, due to its onthego Network capability wich daps lack.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #6,939 of 12,035
Wow this nocebo effect is strong!
Maybe you should try blind test with this cable...just in case...
Wasn't aware of the term so I looked up the definition. Doesn't seem to fit what I was describing.
If there was an easy way to ABX the cables, I would. I still have find a way to disconnect the ALO from the Sony without breaking both.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #6,940 of 12,035
Wasn't aware of the term so I looked up the definition. Doesn't seem to fit what I was describing.
If there was an easy way to ABX the cables, I would. I still have find a way to disconnect the ALO from the Sony without breaking both.
Placebo/nocebo are Pharmacology effects, misused or free-used in some places...our brain can play with us in a positive or negative way, when you are trying to convince yourself that some evidence is not here you can cease to see this evidence or see only what you want to see...
By the way...i’m not totally convinced in the cable effect in audio, but experience with this is really fun...even if it’s imaginary in some cases...

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #6,941 of 12,035
Hi all, anyone using the Solaris from a lg smartphone with quad dac? How does It match? Hiss?

I really like my lg v30 for convenience, due to its onthego Network capability wich daps lack.
I use my Solaris directly from my LG V40. There is no hiss that I can hear. I would say its on the brighter side as a source though. I may be looking for something else soon.

Does anyone use the Solaris with one of the newer iphones? How does it pair?

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #6,942 of 12,035
Rockwell75, totally agree with you about Solaris bass

I’m rather a basshead than not. I love my CA Cascade. Since I bought Solaris blindly, I was very worried that I would not like the bass (because of different reviews and feedbacks). But I was amazed at what qality and depth bass it has. Again I’m rather a basshead than not. I used to want to buy CA Atlas because I thought there was a lot of bass so I want it. But when I listened to them, I did not understand why I should pay such money for this. It was a very lively and regular bass. Good but nothing special.

Solaris has an expensive sound and, more strikingly, amazing big bass. I use it with Cayin N6 mk2 A01 which adds fat and mass to the sound. But for some reason I can enjoy it only in the foam tips. Any silicone tips for me = deflated bass
How can you manager the hiss? I listen a lot of hiss with solaris with cayin n6ii A01. So different the hiss from sp1000.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #6,943 of 12,035
How can you manager the hiss? I listen a lot of hiss with solaris with cayin n6ii A01. So different the hiss from sp1000.

I can’t handle with it because I don’t notice it. I think that if you set the goal of hearing something, you will probably hear it. My goal is to listen to music.

I have a balanced OCX cable on which I can notice a slight hiss between the tracks and I have Super litz cable on which no hiss is heard.

I listen FLAC on Tidal / UAPP

Overall, I’m not trying not to hear hissing, I really don’t notice it

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #6,944 of 12,035
I can’t handle with it because I don’t notice it. I think that if you set the goal of hearing something, you will probably hear it. My goal is to listen to music.

I have a balanced OCX cable on which I can notice a slight hiss between the tracks and I have Super litz cable on which no hiss is heard.

I listen FLAC on Tidal / UAPP

Overall, I’m not trying not to hear hissing, I really don’t notice it
I listen everything in both daps (tidal, spotify qobuz). And for the kind of music I like (classical choral) is hiss as hell. Maybe because is more calm music so all what happening with the song pops up.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #6,945 of 12,035
TheHighlander, perhaps in this genre the hiss is more noticeable, so I did not pay attention because I listen another genres. Users are advised to use Pure silver cable (ALO) to get rid of hissing. You tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back