Campfire - Solaris
Sep 17, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #10,141 of 12,035
try azla XELASTEC tip and u will thank me later, but go down 2 sizes of ur normal tips

Sigh..... Yet another to try while I tip roll for a better fit. I have narrow canals and like a deeper fit, but the spout in these is short and wide so I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable fit. Best so far is the symbio w peel, but even those hurt after a while. I'd love some triple flange like the ones thst come with the etymotics, but they don't seem to make any that fit the Solaris spout well (although I have a few new ones to try in that regard this weekend). The azla seem interesting to me because they can allegedly obtain a good seal without deep insertion, so I'll give em a whirl. Thanks.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #10,143 of 12,035
Screenshot_20200918-011358_Chrome.png

Do the sibililance can be tolerate when listening to female vocal? Crinacle said the same thing

Visually, there’s some sibilance with the Solaris 2020, and I find that it delves into bloat with the upper midrange.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #10,144 of 12,035
Do the sibililance can be tolerate when listening to female vocal? Crinacle said the same thing

The original didn't really have mid-range problems and from what I can tell claims of sibilance are exaggerated. I demoed the 2020 specifically looking for it, using some of my test tracks that I've used to detect it on other IEMs and found perhaps a whiff here and there...but nothing to be alarmed about. I don't listen to a lot of female vocals, however.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #10,145 of 12,035

Contrary to the frequency response graph (which shows a lot of peaking in that region), I actually don't hear sibilance on my demo unit. So while it's a useful tool, this might be a good instance of a graph not translating - for the better! - in practice. Or heck, maybe I'm just insensitive to it lol. I'm not fond of Solaris 2020's female vocal presentation for other reasons. I'd be interested to know if others have heard sibilance, though.

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #10,146 of 12,035
Personally I don't hear sibilance in the Solaris 2020. But my hearing may be different. I don't seem to agree with a lot of Crinacle's list as our preferences are clearly different from my experience.
I recall during our little meet @Rockwell75 thought he detected "a whiff" of sibilance in the Solaris 2020 vs the SE but what I would expect that region was, was actually a plus for me as it added a bit of sparkle and some sense of harmonics that made everything, including female vocals, have a more lifelike presentation. The graphs of the 2020/SE show a clear difference in that area and we each seemed to prefer our own Solaris. I'm perfectly willing to accept that my high freq hearing may be less acute though so maybe relatively we are hearing similar things in our own Solaris versions.

As much as I rely on them for lack of a local shop, graphs and impressions are very tough to go by unless you can find someone who hears like you do..

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #10,147 of 12,035
Contrary to the frequency response graph (which shows a lot of peaking in that region), I actually don't hear sibilance on my demo unit. So while it's a useful tool, this might be a good instance of a graph not translating - for the better! - in practice. Or heck, maybe I'm just insensitive to it lol. I'm not fond of Solaris 2020's female vocal presentation for other reasons. I'd be interested to know if others have heard sibilance, though.

So, If i listen to female vocal a lot (jpop etc) i would be better of with the m9? But the thing is, the m9 has a normal or a "narrow" soundstage which doesnt feel spacious/special at all for my taste (audition it once).

The good things i heard about solaris is, it has a wide and holographic soundstage, does this statement true? How is it compared to the m9?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #10,148 of 12,035
Sigh..... Yet another to try while I tip roll for a better fit. I have narrow canals and like a deeper fit, but the spout in these is short and wide so I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable fit. Best so far is the symbio w peel, but even those hurt after a while. I'd love some triple flange like the ones thst come with the etymotics, but they don't seem to make any that fit the Solaris spout well (although I have a few new ones to try in that regard this weekend). The azla seem interesting to me because they can allegedly obtain a good seal without deep insertion, so I'll give em a whirl. Thanks.
my comment for azla tip was to try on sony not solaris, with solaris the azla was not great

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #10,149 of 12,035
I've tried the Sedna EarFit Light with my Solaris OG and they sound pretty, pretty good. Normally i prefer the Final E-Type tips but with my zx507 the sound was a bit narrow. Now with the Sednas it sounds much better. Better separation and clarity. The Final E-Types sometimes create a kind of "hollow" effect for me.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #10,150 of 12,035
So, If i listen to female vocal a lot (jpop etc) i would be better of with the m9? But the thing is, the m9 has a normal or a "narrow" soundstage which doesnt feel spacious/special at all for my taste (audition it once).

The good things i heard about solaris is, it has a wide and holographic soundstage, does this statement true? How is it compared to the m9?

Sony ier-m9 is a little bit boring. Moreover I like CA Andromeda 2020 much more than Sony m9, and for vocals too. Made direct comparison between CA Andromeda 2020 vs Sony m9 last week and Andro won. In some genres Andro 2020 performed even slightly better than my Solaris SE. CA made very successful upgrade of Andromeda, for my taste Andromeda 2020 is the best version among non se Andromedas.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #10,152 of 12,035
so after a good week with the sony ier-z1r ..

first of all i expected a way more recessed midrange .. from reviews and some talks here . but to my ears it isn´t that bad at all , solaris2020 sounds fuller in the lower mids yes :p

where the sonys really shine for me is the Bass and treble . the bass is nicely layered , you can hear plenty details in the low end , kick drums have a very pleasing and rich impact :)
quantity and quality is very very good of the bass. Solaris has less in quantity but near the same quality in the low end , however for the bass , ill give the point to the sonys .

the midrange , especially the lower midrange is where solaris eats the sonys , male vocals just sound more natural and more present on the solaris . the upper midrange on the otherside is more present on the sonys what gives female vocals a very nice sweetness . but overall ill give the point to solaris for the midrange , for its natural and enjoyable mids .

Treble is very nicely done at the sonys (with the right tips and deep fit ) , dynamic and micro dynamic is outstanding on these. For example cymbals sounds very lifelike and you can "feel" the vibration of them in ears , very impressive . The Solaris dont manage to get me the same dynamic feeling in the treble. i would not say that the quality is better or worse on one , just the sonys manage do something in treble more dynamic and lifelike . i´ll give the point to the sonys .

Soundage is huge on both iems , wide and depth is also great , but solaris manage to be more holographic instead of just wide and big . here wins solaris again.

Overall the Solaris more balanced in presentation and would say the sonys more V shaped .

and i dont really understand the rave about the insane bad fit of the sonys .. maybe im blessed with my ears but they fit me nearly as comfy as solaris does. no problems with both iems :)

also i would not say that i prefer one over the other .. cause they are more different than similar. its great to have both :)

Enjoy the music :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #10,153 of 12,035
i dont get any sibilance with solaris 2020 .. and i listen alot female fronted metal.. no issues .. take every review and rankings with a grain of salt ..

Such as? I'm always up for more metal recs. I love everything on Solaris, but I'm a metalhead first, and my collection sounds amazing on Solaris.

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #10,154 of 12,035
Such as? I'm always up for more metal recs. I love everything on Solaris, but I'm a metalhead first, and my collection sounds amazing on Solaris.
Nemesis2020
Arch Enemy
Nervosa
Ad Infinitum
Burning Witches
Butcher Babies
Eluveitie (male + female )
Deadlock
Delain
Devilment ( male + female )
Diabulus In Musica
Elvenstorm
Epica
Illnath
Infected Rain
Lacuna Coil
Leaves' Eyes
Liv Sin
Rage Of Romance
Rage Of Light
Sirenia
just to name a few ... check them out if you like female fronted metal :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back