Campfire - Solaris
Sep 16, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #10,111 of 12,035
I have also a ZX507 since yesterday and i am now in the whole sony-burn-in-process :-D

Paired with my Solaris OG it is quite good but i am coming from a Astell&Kern SP1000M and miss a bit of the wide soundstage. Can you may say if this would be better till the whole burn in? Thansk :)
Are you using ZX507 with Direct Source on or off? Also, are you listening to stored music or downloaded from streaming apps?

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #10,112 of 12,035
I think definitely related to burn in. I was actually trying to describe a positive attribute. The DAP outputs better bass to my Solaris than I previously thought, so I don't have to use eq on it anymore. I love the sound of it. Only "negative" is I now have a Chord Mojo, ifi XDSD, and Monolith Portable DAC/Amp that aren't getting use. 🤣. I love the sound out of the ZX507

How would you compare the Mojo to the ZX507?

I use the DAP in Direct Source mode with 95% music stored on SD card.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #10,113 of 12,035
Has someone a good recommendation for a good MMCX cable for the Solaris?

I have the ALO Ref8 and a Gala Audio Solar Eclipse (Copper and gold plated silver with 99.57% silver 4.4mm plug). The Gala Audio was perfect for the Solaris and the SP1000M but with the Sony zx507 it is to smooth and warm. It's much better with the Ref8 - more clarity and freshness. Problem is that the ergonomics of the Ref8 is so bad that it isn't much fun to use it...

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #10,114 of 12,035

I have the ALO Ref8 and a Gala Audio Solar Eclipse (Copper and gold plated silver with 99.57% silver 4.4mm plug). The Gala Audio was perfect for the Solaris and the SP1000M but with the Sony zx507 it is to smooth and warm. It's much better with the Ref8 - more clarity and freshness. Problem is that the ergonomics of the Ref8 is so bad that it isn't much fun to use it...

Am currently writing a review for the Solaris 2020, and will be trying a couple of cables with it. If either has noteworthy results, I'll mention it here (as long as I don't forget, haha) :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #10,115 of 12,035

its getting better when you remove the memory wire .. but yeah.. i know what you mean. i use the super smokey litz in 4.4mm at the moment with the solaris

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #10,116 of 12,035
Perhaps a pure silver cable? I have the TRN T3 8W silver cable which is astounding value for £18 or so. My home made CEMA 4W cable is a little clearer and punchier though.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #10,117 of 12,035

I was using the SXC-8 (which I have since listed for sale), and flipped to a DHC clone fusion - for my musical preferences, a fusion wire is great in general, and in particular have found it outstanding with the 2020.
I believe @Lookout57 pairs his with a clone silver and he's said positive things about it.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #10,118 of 12,035
Ier-Z1r in da house now .. they are smaller in person as i thought , let me get some listening time with them and i got drop a compare to solaris2020 here if someone is interested , but very positive so far about everything about the iems .. besides the carrying case , it opens way to easy ..

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #10,119 of 12,035
85FA0863-EFA6-4F1F-A68B-002AC3D06B61.jpeg

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #10,121 of 12,035

Out of all of the cables I've tried with the Solaris (Effect Audio Eros II, Lionheart, ALO pure silver, SPC Litz, Super Litz, Sony's IER Z1R cable (4.4mm), Ikko ARC CTU-01), the best synergy is with the PW Audio Loki+ (70% silver, 30% copper alloy).

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #10,122 of 12,035

Even keeping eq flat, turning off direct source mode does eat up more battery, but it's for a reason. The player NOT in direct source mode has a more holographic soundstage. If you are looking for more openess, better musicality, more feeling to your music, turn off direct source and let the player and it's digital processing do it's magic. Late at night when I'm going to sleep, sometimes I'll throw on vinyl processor to tame the treble a bit and give the overall presentation a more relaxing sound, but even with nothing activated, direct source off just has a more engaging sound to it.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #10,124 of 12,035

I really like my Mojo, great DAC, but if you don't need all the available power, the ZX507 is more musical and more versatile with the various DSP available to it. Again, direct source off, even with nothing activated just has some extra "magic sauce" I didn't believe it when I read it, but once I tried it I could certainly here a more open soundstage, more musical, less clinical presentation. Direct source on certainly saves on battery, but the Sony "magic" happens with direct source off. Also, I have an Oriolus BA300S and that little tube amp is magical in combination with the Sony DAP.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #10,125 of 12,035

I have to Fiio LC-RE cable. OCC Copper/gold plated copper/silver plated copper mixed cable, with switchable connectors for 3.5, 2.5, 4.4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back