Campfire - Solaris
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #2,881 of 12,035
am i the only one who's disappointed in the Solaris?

Well no of course, although from getting mine auditioned by 20+ people at meetups (who own TOTL IEMs and can compare) not many disliked it altogether, but it’s not a signature for everyone obviously.

In what way did it disappoint you and what did you expect?
Did you audition it or buy it?

No, and there have also been concerns about unit variances, but overall impressions seem positive.

Do we really need to stir up the unit variance again? I think now Ken has posted a statement about this and until Campfire can actually verify the facts hinting at this time and again is unfair (especially to those who haven’t followed all the history) and possibly going to derail this thread again which none of us wants.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #2,882 of 12,035
Do we really need to stir up the unit variance again? I think now Ken has posted a statement about this and until Campfire can actually verify the facts hinting at this time and again is unfair (especially to those who haven’t followed all the history) and possibly going to derail this thread again which none of us wants.

Honestly David, I think it's your post that is in danger of stirring things up (unwillingly, of course). The issue was only brought up as part of a brief summary and in a manner that did not invite further discussion. However, after reading your post I felt somewhat compelled to reply. Others might feel the same way. Luckily for me, all that I would want to say has already been said, so I will refrain. This is just a heads-up that your well meaning post might not produce the result you were aiming for.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #2,883 of 12,035
I'd like to read more comments from people about what music they didn't like the Solaris with. I think it's useful to build up a picture of both the strengths and weaknesses of a pair of headphones or IEMs so people interested in buying them can get an idea if they'll like them or not.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #2,884 of 12,035
I'd like to read more comments from people about what music they didn't like the Solaris with. I think it's useful to build up a picture of both the strengths and weaknesses of a pair of headphones or IEMs so people interested in buying them can get an idea if they'll like them or not.

just to add, probably also the DAP or player they are playing and also what music file they listening from. . based on my exp, using Solaris with X5iii playing song from spotify will be not representative... This IEM will give clear how the song will be listen, so crap song will be listen crap also.... and a lot of Noise background which I dont find when playing the same song in flac and using UAPP....

just a thought

edit : my Note 8 will be sound better for spotify in term of noise background than my X5iii, but loss a bit seperation and detail in High freq

Edit 2 : Steely Dan - Aja Album, I used to like this when using Polaris.... even use it as benchmark... but now, the fun is not there anymore when using Solaris.... that what cross my mind for now..
Black Cow : the bass get more deep, and the high is more sparkle (CA sytle), but the song became v Shape IMO....which is not what i was hoping to listen with this song

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #2,885 of 12,035
just to add, probably also the DAP or player they are playing and also what music file they listening from. . based on my exp, using Solaris with X5iii playing song from spotify will be not representative... This IEM will give clear how the song will be listen, so crap song will be listen crap also.... and a lot of Noise background which I dont find when playing the same song in flac and using UAPP....

just a thought
Well mental state can be a factor.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,886 of 12,035
Well mental state can be a factor.
i believe u are right... in huge margin to be exact..

how can u proceed to the next step if you dont want to be there at the first place (wisdom wording from my country which I translate poorly).

So if you dont like it in first place, can you love it all the way.... i believe this will be the closest to what I mean.. ..

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #2,887 of 12,035
i believe u are right... in huge margin to be exact..

how can u proceed to the next step if you dont want to be there at the first place (wisdom wording from my country which I translate poorly).

So if you dont like it in first place, can you love it all the way.... i believe this will be the closest to what I mean.. ..
Can also be this way :If you believe it will be great cause you read its great or ypu a fan boy than for you this device will be great cause you want it to be great. Also cause you spent the money its best you try hard to believe its a worthy expense. Later when ypu read about new products you can start believing that new product will make you happy so inorder to convince yourself to shell out more money you start believing what ypu have and onced loved axtually has many faults.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #2,888 of 12,035
Well no of course, although from getting mine auditioned by 20+ people at meetups (who own TOTL IEMs and can compare) not many disliked it altogether, but it’s not a signature for everyone obviously.

In what way did it disappoint you and what did you expect?
Did you audition it or buy it?

i auditioned it; felt it was a refined andro

price aside, it is a competent iem

but factoring price in, no thanks

better value with andro v1 (green) imo

just my 2 cents worth =/

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #2,889 of 12,035

Easy! I found them too big and uncomfortable ( uncomfortable like a few CA IEM's), they lacked deep bass extension that I liked. In fact they lacked bass all over to me. I expected the bass closer to that of the Atlas but more refined, but alas, no! Overall I felt they were too neutral and boring to me. That's probably ok for jazz listeners, but for edm etc. they do not perform
like that of the EE range of hybrids ( Nemesis etc.) which are an exciting listen!

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #2,890 of 12,035
Easy! I found them too big and uncomfortable ( uncomfortable like a few CA IEM's), they lacked deep bass extension that I liked. In fact they lacked bass all over to me. I expected the bass closer to that of the Atlas but more refined, but alas, no! Overall I felt they were too neutral and boring to me. That's probably ok for jazz listeners, but for edm etc. they do not perform
like that of the EE range of hybrids ( Nemesis etc.) which are an exciting listen!
EDM ? The Casscade is the EDM king. Not ideal with other styles but synths and bass ooo yeah.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #2,891 of 12,035

I don't see how its unfair, its up to the manufacturer to resolve this problem and I don't see any reason for the consumer to bat for the manufacturer. The Solaris at Addicted to Audio is a top tier sounding IEM that is cheaper and better sounding than a lot of "flagship" products from other companies but that doesn't mean we have to dismiss the existing facts of the matter:
  • An almost universal belief that burn-in influences the sound but no consistent reports of how this burn in is changing the sound. Some people say it increases the bass clarity, other people say the opposite. For a lot of those impressions, I have no reason to dismiss their opinions as stirring things up. We went through the same experiences with the LCD-2 and LCD-3.
  • People reporting muted vocals/guitars and other people reporting the opposite. I thought a lot of the guitar crunch was muted but it doesn't bother me much honestly.
  • Objective results from someone actually measuring three different samples over multiple different times. Same person also listened to these samples and noticed notable differences.
Doing some basic inference would suggest that product variance is a thing that is happening here, especially since its already pretty common occurrence in the portable audio industry. Companies like Focal, one of the most respected audio manufacturers in the world, are no doubt testing their headphones with world class equipment yet they've got inconsistent driver breakup points between samples. Some distort heavily at certain SPLs, others don't. Then we've got Beyerdynamic, one of the oldest headphone manufacturers in the world, offering obvious and well documented product lottery. It would be completely irrational to not believe unit variance to be the likely issue here when a company like Focal can't even get their headphone drivers perfectly right.

And there really isn't any reason to believe otherwise when the Polaris (not Solaris but Polaris) exhibited the exact same issues. I don't see how this is a derail, its still about the Solaris and someone has provided proof. Its like banning emissions discussion about Volkswagen diesel engines in a thread about Volkswagens.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #2,892 of 12,035
Random thoughts on the Solaris....

For me the Solaris has made live music quite special....Ive been listening to Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Mussalah from thier New York City Live album ......I'd say live music is a strength of the Solaris

For me the Solaris are perfect with Hip Hop especially songs with a really deep 808 sub bass ...The Solaris articulate the texture so well and there is enough punch to drums but not too much which allows longer listening sessions ....No they dont have Vega level impact but this is fine for me because I can really only listen to my Vegas for about 40 minutes before I get bass fatigued.

I still use my Vegas every now and again, mostly in the gym.

I switched from using Jvc spiral dots to Comply foams and comfort has increased significantly

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #2,893 of 12,035
Apple's bendgate, Samsung's Battery Fiasco, Takata Airbag recalls, Mattel excessive lead content, etc... There is always a possibility of a screw up, no matter how prominent the company is.

Candlejack is right... why bring this up again David? Now it will just go down the slippery slope again...

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,894 of 12,035

Favourite tracks (just a selection):
Artist - track

Sister Hazel - Champagne High
Delicate acoustic guitar, deep male vocals, nicely textured bass guitar

Slash - Starlight
Great tone on the electric guitar, good example of how the Solaris handles rock falsetto

Pete Tong with the Heritage Orchestra - anything from either album

Elvis Presley and the Royal Philharmonic - Kentucky Rain / Burning Love
Great example of emotive vocal delivery and a sweeping orchestral and rock band backing, gives a great scale to the tracks

Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Great track

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
Superb bass texture and definition

Tracks I've found that highlight "weak" areas in the FR:

Escala - Palladio
There is a clicking sound of an orchestra stand being adjusted in the left foreground at around the 20-25s mark - this is less emphasised and more difficult to hear on the Solaris compared to other IEMs I have. I suspect the sound sits in the frequency range that dips after the 4kHz mark, but I'm no sound science expert.

Will dig some more out of my upcoming review when I get more time.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #2,895 of 12,035

price is a huge weakness in any product and IEM's def aren't spared here =X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back