Campfire - Solaris
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #2,851 of 12,035
Happy New year..

Nice song.... Thank you for the point out. the timbre (Roco2 instrument CMIIW) is strong stroke and quick pace.
if u like this, try XXXtentacion "Whoa (Wind in Awe)" the 3D Imaging....
That XXXtentacion track is nice, thanks for sharing. To bad RIP XXXtentacion, never heard his music before, certainly talented.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2,852 of 12,035
I have just spent a good part of my evening listening to one of my favorites 80’s bands, New Order, through the Solaris and the Sony ZX300. What a combo. First off, for those of you who don’t know who New Order are, some brief history. They were the band formed from the remains of the legendary post punk UK band Joy Division after Ian Curtis, Joy Divisions’ front man, tragically killed himself.

New Order started as pretty much a Joy Division clone band but within a matter of years had become a club stable and a major force in 80’s alternative rock and club dance music.

I’m going to mention two songs and how incredible they sound with the Solaris.

First off, Blue Monday. This song was an international sensation in the 80’s, it sold more copies than any other independent 12-inch single during the 80’s and lost money with each sale because of its distinctive artwork. Blue Monday predated rave culture and house music and I would not be surprised if it impacted on both. In the mid-80’s it was my biggest club song when I deejay-ed, easily filling up the dance-floor.

The song starts off with a machine gun drum machine attack and it is relentless. With lesser earphones this sound is overbearing and takes up too much of the musical landscape. With the Solaris it sounds just right, a driving sound that makes that beat charge ahead. The electronic touches within the song, the guitar, the electronic drum rolls – all sound fantastic. Sumner’s vocals come in in the middle of the sonic soup; a melancholy singer obviously lost in the confusion of hurt feelings. You feel that with the Solaris. The bass played as a lead instrument, yes that’s there as well. Left/right sound effects. Feet tapping away throughout. Solaris offers quite a ride.

None of the Youtube versions does this song the justice it deserves.

The other song, this was their first single, actually composed by Ian Curtis, who I mentioned above from Joy Division. The interesting thing about this song, is that it was also highly influential, over in Ireland, members of the emerging band U2 heart this and went on to write I Will Follow, rest was history. Anyway, with the Solaris, all the key parts of the song are clearly distinctive. The late great UK producer Martin Hannett who produced the single, said that he loved working with Joy Division, as the way they played they left spaces within the notes, allowing for interesting and innovative production. The same holds here. The drumming is the right speed but not overfull, the guitar playing same. Oh, and that bass, did I ever mention that Peter Hook is one of the great bass players. The drums sound great with all drum work clearly accented. Anyway, there are two New Order versions of this song, the original (and some say the definitive version) is only available on the singles collection and has a great driving bass and less of a guitar sound. Both versions are each very distinctive with the Solaris and one can easily pick out one from the other.

Happy New Year everyone, for those who own it, enjoy the Solaris, it's great at making music special.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #2,853 of 12,035
I have just spent a good part of my evening listening to one of my favorites 80’s bands, New Order, through the Solaris and the Sony ZX300. What a combo. First off, for those of you who don’t know who New Order are, some brief history. They were the band formed from the remains of the legendary post punk UK band Joy Division after Ian Curtis, Joy Divisions’ front man, tragically killed himself.

New Order started as pretty much a Joy Division clone band but within a matter of years had become a club stable and a major force in 80’s alternative rock and club dance music.

First off, Blue Monday. This song was an international sensation in the 80’s, it sold more copies than any other independent 12-inch single during the 80’s and lost money with each sale because of its distinctive artwork. Blue Monday predated rave culture and house music and I would not be surprised if it impacted on both. In the mid-80’s it was my biggest club song when I deejay-ed, easily filling up the dance-floor.

The song starts off with a machine gun drum machine attack and it is relentless. With lesser earphones this sound is overbearing and takes up too much of the musical landscape. With the Solaris it sounds just right, a driving sound that makes that beat charge ahead. The electronic touches within the song, the guitar, the electronic drum rolls – all sound fantastic. Sumner’s vocals come in in the middle of the sonic soup; a melancholy singer obviously lost in the confusion of hurt feelings. You feel that with the Solaris. The bass played as a lead instrument, yes that’s there as well. Left/right sound effects. Feet tapping away throughout. Solaris offers quite a ride.

The other song, this was their first single, actually composed by Ian Curtis, who I mentioned above from Joy Division. The interesting thing about this song, is that it was also highly influential, over in Ireland, members of the emerging band U2 heart this and went on to write I Will Follow, rest was history. Anyway, with the Solaris, all the key parts of the song are clearly distinctive. The late great UK producer Martin Hannett who produced the single, said that he loved working with Joy Division, as the way they played they left spaces within the notes, allowing for interesting and innovative production. The same holds here. The drumming is the right speed but not overfull, the guitar playing same. Oh, and that bass, did I ever mention that Peter Hook is one of the great bass players. The drums sound great with all drum work clearly accented. Anyway, there are two New Order versions of this song, the original (and some say the definitive version) is only available on the singles collection and has a great driving bass and less of a guitar sound. Both versions are each very distinctive with the Solaris and one can easily pick out one from the other.

Happy New Year everyone, for those who own it, enjoy the Solaris, it's great at making music special.

Nice, I met a guitar player who brought me to a hotel room party hosted by all the members of New Order. This was back in 1991.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,854 of 12,035
Nice, I met a guitar player who brought me to a hotel room party hosted by all the members of New Order. This was back in 1991.
I briefly met them when they played the club I worked at. Nice guys.
They are still recording and playing music live, but without Peter Hook. Hook and New Order had a parting in 2007. He tours with his own band often playing Joy Division songs.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,855 of 12,035
I briefly met them when they played the club I worked at. Nice guys.
They are still recording and playing music live, but without Peter Hook. Hook and New Order had a parting in 2007. He tours with his own band often playing Joy Division songs.
Hook played a year or so here in Hong Kong.

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #2,856 of 12,035
@Carlsan New Order - Blue Monday :gs1000smile::thumbsup:
20190101_121621.jpg

looking foward for your recommendation... It seems your taste almost similar to me....

Touch by hand of God (dub) also nice and suit for Solaris

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #2,857 of 12,035

I just sold my original 12 inch of Blue Monday. Loved the artwork on it. :)

On that topic, 24 Hour Party People, is a must-see mockumentary.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,859 of 12,035
Any impressions of using Solaris out of Fiio M9 and/or Dragonfly Red? Interested in impressions with Mojo, but there are already a number of comments that state that the Mojo does not compliment the Solaris very well.
Thanks

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #2,860 of 12,035
Any impressions of using Solaris out of Fiio M9 and/or Dragonfly Red? Interested in impressions with Mojo, but there are already a number of comments that state that the Mojo does not compliment the Solaris very well.
Thanks

I am currently listening to Keith Jarrett Koln Concert on the Solaris via Mojo. I find the pairing very good. Excellent detail and good dynamics. I don't find that the Mojo impedes the characteristics of the Solaris in any way and provides excellent headroom.

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #2,861 of 12,035

Oh hell yeah, love New Order. Good call.

Kb

Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 1, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,862 of 12,035
Happy new Year Head-fi,

Solaris adds another award, just published today Jan 1 2019. Soundstage HiFi

“the first 10 rating for Sound that we’ve ever given on SoundStage! Solo.” - SoundStage Editors.

Thank you Soundstage!

Kb

Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 1, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #2,863 of 12,035
Alright, I got my Symbio W Peel tips in the mail yesterday. First impressions are that they sound like the stock foam tips (sound signature wise). This with the upgrade in comfort and ease of use warrents me switching over to these from the Comply tips. I am still wondering if there are any tips out there that increase bass and/or decrease treble, although these Symbio's are totally acceptable with my V40.

Here are some photos I just took, I love the look of these symbio's on the Solaris.
0101191441e.jpg
0101191440.jpg
0101191436a.jpg
0101191439.jpg
0101191436.jpg

Jan 1, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #2,864 of 12,035
How is the hiss level on this compared to Andromeda?
For my Andromeda I have a ALO audio Cable with mic but it hisses heavily on my Samsung Galaxy S9+.

I was wondering if these hiss as much too. Is there a DAP with Spotify/ Tidal that matches well with these and how much Hiss does it produce on worse sources like S9? I know I can use IFI IEmatch but then I can't use it to phone which is a very nice plus for me at work..

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back