Campfire Audio all new Polaris
May 5, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #62 of 187
Thanks
I cant pay the cost of Vega or Atlas so these is as much as I can go.

Keep in mind that you can easily find a used Vega or Atlas for $150 or $250, respectively, more than the Polaris. I've never heard the Vega but the Atlas is exceedingly worth it.

May 6, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #65 of 187
Thanks.

I’m in-between the Lyra II and Vega now since a dealer where I am has them on sale which would amount to the price of the Lyra II ordered from the US + shipping + customs... never-ending, really.

Late reply, but if you can stomach that wacky peak on the Vega, it's faster, more technical then the Lyra and admittedly has more sub-bass over the Atlas (shcking, I know). I sadly could not live with that wacky peak as the Vega does like to come in hot in the treble akin to the TH900. The Atlas is an all around better successor to the Vega but I don't believe they are as low in price yet comparatively. For the cost though, it may be worth it depending on your sensitivity to that 7-7.5k hz peak. The Lyra is very similar to the Vega FR wise but lacks that extra oomph in the sub bass region and don't sound as strident and sounds pretty unique due to their Be driver. I still have mine an enjoy them but would be a liar if I didn't say how much more I prefer the Atlas over them FWIW.

Keep in mind that you can easily find a used Vega or Atlas for $150 or $250, respectively, more than the Polaris. I've never heard the Vega but the Atlas is exceedingly worth it.

I can emphatically say the Atlas is still my favorite IEM per CFA. I still pack them with me every single day and also still prefer them over the Solaris. Surprisingly, the Atlas does better with classical and acoustic more than one would think and them really get into their groove with Hip Hop, EDM, Soul/RnB, etc. I have yet to find a genre the Atlas doesn't excel in.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #66 of 187
Late reply, but if you can stomach that wacky peak on the Vega, it's faster, more technical then the Lyra and admittedly has more sub-bass over the Atlas (shcking, I know). I sadly could not live with that wacky peak as the Vega does like to come in hot in the treble akin to the TH900. The Atlas is an all around better successor to the Vega but I don't believe they are as low in price yet comparatively. For the cost though, it may be worth it depending on your sensitivity to that 7-7.5k hz peak. The Lyra is very similar to the Vega FR wise but lacks that extra oomph in the sub bass region and don't sound as strident and sounds pretty unique due to their Be driver. I still have mine an enjoy them but would be a liar if I didn't say how much more I prefer the Atlas over them FWIW.

I can emphatically say the Atlas is still my favorite IEM per CFA. I still pack them with me every single day and also still prefer them over the Solaris. Surprisingly, the Atlas does better with classical and acoustic more than one would think and them really get into their groove with Hip Hop, EDM, Soul/RnB, etc. I have yet to find a genre the Atlas doesn't excel in.

Thanks a lot.

I missed the Vega and it was anyway a bit too much money for me.

So it's now either the CA Lyra II, EE Bravado but I'm also looking at the DUNU DK-4001... or any IEM close to the Cascade sound signature.

May 7, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #67 of 187
Mmmh.. Trouble in paradise... I love the Polaris, but I am having one big problem with them. I ride a bicycle to work daily and always use my Music on the ride.
However is seems these Polaris catch the wind in a manner that makes using Them on the bike useless. Way to much windnoise for comfort.
Seems to vortex over the edge.

Any one else have experience with wind and this design in ears?

May 7, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #69 of 187
Mmmh.. Trouble in paradise... I love the Polaris, but I am having one big problem with them. I ride a bicycle to work daily and always use my Music on the ride.
However is seems these Polaris catch the wind in a manner that makes using Them on the bike useless. Way to much windnoise for comfort.
Seems to vortex over the edge.

Any one else have experience with wind and this design in ears?

It's due to the open port on their shell. Some IEMs have this in various places to vent air moving inside the shell. It varies per IEM, but some are more prone to wind noise than others due to placement or how big the port is.

May 7, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #70 of 187
so campfire team they if I were to order it from them they would put lower customs value.
so they can put down $80 for example. which means less customs fees

Don’t think they can as it is not allowed to put a lower customs value in the USA. Don’t know the exact term but it is like a criminal offence if they do.

May 7, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #72 of 187
they told me they can so I will confirm before I buy
when I bought the nova from them I was not charged customs

Ofcourse they can but it would put their business at risk (?). It is their choice to make but it still is a criminal offence according to the local law. Unless they ship it from some other country but i think they always say the products are hand assembled in the USA so it would be logical that they also ship from the USA.

I do understand you don’t want to pay customs taxes though :beyersmile:

May 7, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #73 of 187
It's due to the open port on their shell. Some IEMs have this in various places to vent air moving inside the shell. It varies per IEM, but some are more prone to wind noise than others due to placement or how big the port is.
Thanks, I wil just try and see what happens with a little piece of tape over the hole, if that removes the noise, might be it indeed.

May 7, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #74 of 187
Thanks to everyone posting impressions here. I’m looking to upgrade from my Novas and was excited about the comparisons of the Io to the Massdrop Plus, but now I’m thinking the Polaris 2 might be the way to go. I loved that extra bass in the Massdrop Plus. I’m still torn if I should just save up a little more for second hand Andros. I’m lucky to live close to Irvine, so I think I’ll just wait till CanJam SoCal to decide.

Also, majorhifi’s review made me want them, but I don’t really know much about him. He seems so young. I don’t want to knock him at all for that, but does he have a good track record as a reviewer?

May 7, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #75 of 187
Thanks to everyone posting impressions here. I’m looking to upgrade from my Novas and was excited about the comparisons of the Io to the Massdrop Plus, but now I’m thinking the Polaris 2 might be the way to go. I loved that extra bass in the Massdrop Plus. I’m still torn if I should just save up a little more for second hand Andros. I’m lucky to live close to Irvine, so I think I’ll just wait till CanJam SoCal to decide.

Also, majorhifi’s review made me want them, but I don’t really know much about him. He seems so young. I don’t want to knock him at all for that, but does he have a good track record as a reviewer?
If you want some extra bass I'd probably go with the Polaris over the Andros. The Andros (in my opinion of course) are fairly neutral. Being a basshead I did not really enjoy them. Again, this is subjective. I recommend you go to Canjam and try em out, Ken usually offers a pretty nice in show discount too if you want to buy them there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back