Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #5,372 of 19,143
Quote:
I just picked up a vintage Technics SA-200 off craigslist last week for 5 bucks!! Awesome little amp after drenching the pots in WD-40. It probably had the most oxidized controls I've ever experienced. Great headphone output. Gets plenty loud. I wish I could get specs on the headphone output as well as the speaker output.

Be careful with the WD-40 on pots, have never heard it be recommended as a pot cleaner.  Get some Deoxit instead.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #5,373 of 19,143
Yeah I would NOT use WD-40 at all. That is not a contact cleaner and WILL leave a residue.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #5,374 of 19,143
Yeah, wd40 can cause significant damage down the road. I would do my best to remove all traces of it and start over with a real contact cleaner. It's best to spend the few extra dollars on deoxit, you can also use the radio shack stuff. It's actually rebranded deoxit for a little less money. But wd40 is always a bad idea. Many have found out the hard way the damage wd40 can do when used as a contact cleaner.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #5,375 of 19,143
hi guys, in a bit of a pickle here, and would like some suggestions. I have recently acquired a Sansui AU-717. seller indicated that it was serviced in 2007 when he bought it from another guy. And after looking under the hood, I do believe the seller, as there are no funky glue issue that have plagued many Sansuis of the past. 

with that being said, even though everything else works fine, such as the amp itself and speaker out. The headphone out is actually giving me the issue. The right channel would come in and out. At first, I had read that you can deoxit directly into the headphone jack, which I have done so. I had also taken the unit apart and and sprayed directly behind the headphone jack, which looks like it's a 2 wire connection. but the sound still does come in and out. it tends to happen more often when it is engaged in -20db switch, which I had sprayed deoxit as well. So now I am puzzled as to where to spray the deoxit to address the issue. if some sansui experts who have had similar issues like mine, can chime in, I would greatly appreciate it. Any feedback would be great. thanks in advance.

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #5,376 of 19,143
Quote:
hi guys, in a bit of a pickle here, and would like some suggestions. I have recently acquired a Sansui AU-717. seller indicated that it was serviced in 2007 when he bought it from another guy. And after looking under the hood, I do believe the seller, as there are no funky glue issue that have plagued many Sansuis of the past. 

with that being said, even though everything else works fine, such as the amp itself and speaker out. The headphone out is actually giving me the issue. The right channel would come in and out. At first, I had read that you can deoxit directly into the headphone jack, which I have done so. I had also taken the unit apart and and sprayed directly behind the headphone jack, which looks like it's a 2 wire connection. but the sound still does come in and out. it tends to happen more often when it is engaged in -20db switch, which I had sprayed deoxit as well. So now I am puzzled as to where to spray the deoxit to address the issue. if some sansui experts who have had similar issues like mine, can chime in, I would greatly appreciate it. Any feedback would be great. thanks in advance.

Headphone Out should be a 3 wire connection...

On another note.... damn ebay.... that Marantz 2245 will cost me $550 after shipping... arg. Thats not worth it...
just for reference, would the Pioneers, Sansui, Yamaha headphone outs be suitable for a HD650? I was looking into the marantz becasue of the warmth, I think it will be more musical, as it seems the HD650 needs a tubey/musical amp.

That and should I avoid any of those brands Phono stages?

I'm avoiding model numbers, I have more or less an idea of what is good from all the brands, I will confirm before buying.

I really wish it was as easy to get a good Vintage amp here... Been trying to exploit ebay.co.uk to try cut down on shipping... arg

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #5,377 of 19,143
SOOOOO

I'm down to 2 new options. 
A yamaha C-2a preamp including shipping for eur 450, which I think is a good way to go, but I have no idea how its sound will pair with the HD650... gulp...

Either that or I try swing a marantz, but the 2245 will cost me $550.... 
and a Pioneer SX-880 around the same...

EDIT: crap.... the C-2a will need me to get a standalone HP amp.... sigh and the C-80 is not as good.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #5,378 of 19,143
I personally would go with either the Marantz or the Pioneer. Go with the Pineer if you like things neutral, or the Marantz if you want a little added warmth.

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #5,379 of 19,143

Mac i7>Fidelia/Itunes>DAC o' the day>Marantz 2230>LCD 2.2 w/ DIY Toxic copper cables

The Marantz was completely recapped; previously it sounded warm and veiled but now its clear and dynamic with great detail and treble extension.

Still to do: replace main wires with SPC, new binding posts and RCA plugs, new mica and thermal paste, and LED fuse lamps.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #5,380 of 19,143
Love it!
Can't wait to save up for a pair of LCD 2's to run with my marantz
my 2270 is being recapped at the moment.  my 2245 has only had the power supply redone.  they sounded very similar before the 2270 went off to have work done.  It'll be interesting to A/B them when it comes home

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5,382 of 19,143
Quote:
Love it!
Can't wait to save up for a pair of LCD 2's to run with my marantz
my 2270 is being recapped at the moment.  my 2245 has only had the power supply redone.  they sounded very similar before the 2270 went off to have work done.  It'll be interesting to A/B them when it comes home

From personal experience, the preamp board of the 2245 also has some large capacitors in it, that, in my case at least, were quite leaky. the only board I haven't done are the power amp board, and the tuner. I envy your chance to compare them side by side, the 2270 looks like a beautiful machine, but as heavy as the 2245 is (a solid 15lbs heavier than my similar output pioneer SX-780, I swear), the 2270 must be terrifying!

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #5,383 of 19,143
Thanks.

I love the warm sound of vintage Marantz and HK.

It was fun recapping the 2230- plenty of room to maneuver and only a few wires to snip to get under the pcb.

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #5,384 of 19,143
i haven't posted here for a while. i know i'm happy with my current h/k 700 series set(h/k 770 dual mono power amp and h/k 725 preamp) but i decided to check local thrift anyways not too long ago and i came across a kenwood c2 basic preamp. i heard of them in the past being very well sought after preamps so i said waht the heck, for 65 bucks why not? i needed a spare preamp for my m-45 power amp anyways.

it was bit dusty but all knobs and buttons are perfect working order. had it for while now and say i really like this little preamp. it's a pretty transparent sounding preamp and disappears acting like nothing but a gain for the power amp. still doesn't sound as clean as the h/k725 when i tested with my h/k 770 dual-mono power amp but overall it was kinda hard to tell the difference. thing i love with the kenwood is it's really darn quiet. really great phono section when i tested some vinyl.

thing i did not expect this sucker makes a pretty badass headamp. i tested my df's via 4-pin xlr to 1/4'' adapter for a quick run and i was shock how quiet and clean it sounded. i was like ''What is this?'' lol. i thought the headphone level was annoying at first but i find it wonderful. it's like tuning power amp's input levels to the preamps gain for best possible s/n ratio while leaving enough headroom there for dynamic transients to prevent any clipping. you know what i mean if ever used a power amp with left and right level inputs. headphone out dead quiet too. this makes pretty awesome headamp if wanted it to but i won't be using it's headphone out much since i always drive my headphones from speaker outputs.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #5,385 of 19,143
Quote:
i haven't posted here for a while. i know i'm happy with my current h/k 700 series set(h/k 770 dual mono power amp and h/k 725 preamp) but i decided to check local thrift anyways not too long ago and i came across a kenwood c2 basic preamp. i heard of them in the past being very well sought after preamps so i said waht the heck, for 65 bucks why not? i needed a spare preamp for my m-45 power amp anyways.
it was bit dusty but all knobs and buttons are perfect working order. had it for while now and say i really like this little preamp. it's a pretty transparent sounding preamp and disappears acting like nothing but a gain for the power amp. still doesn't sound as clean as the h/k725 when i tested with my h/k 770 dual-mono power amp but overall it was kinda hard to tell the difference. thing i love with the kenwood is it's really darn quiet. really great phono section when i tested some vinyl.
thing i did not expect this sucker makes a pretty badass headamp. i tested my df's via 4-pin xlr to 1/4'' adapter for a quick run and i was shock how quiet and clean it sounded. i was like ''What is this?'' lol. i thought the headphone level was annoying at first but i find it wonderful. it's like tuning power amp's input levels to the preamps gain for best possible s/n ratio while leaving enough headroom there for dynamic transients to prevent any clipping. you know what i mean if ever used a power amp with left and right level inputs. headphone out dead quiet too. this makes pretty awesome headamp if wanted it to but i won't be using it's headphone out much since i always drive my headphones from speaker outputs.

You're doing this with resistor drops I hope...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back