Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 4, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #5,386 of 19,145
Quote:
I personally would go with either the Marantz or the Pioneer. Go with the Pineer if you like things neutral, or the Marantz if you want a little added warmth.

I agree, but there are so many brands I havent got a clue about (sound signiture wise, and particular strengths etc), Yamaha, Marantz Preamps, Fischer, Dyna...sumthing, Accuphase, which Old McIntosh ones are good, Phase Linear. and it goes on.

I have spotted a guy who is willing to ship me a fully recently serviced 2275 for $800, which is about $300 over budget, but I am going to see if I can beg/borrow/steal the rest, considering where I am, I think its a really good deal. And I think its headphone out and phono stages will suit very well with the rest of the gear. (HD650, Music Hall MMF-5.1.)

thanks anyway :)

Its either that Marantz or a Luxman C-1000 for $500 at the moment. But I'm doing my best to get the Marantz. 

EDIT: scratch that, shipping messup, so its between the Luxman C-1000, Marantz 2252B, and Pioneer SX-980 (240v).

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5,387 of 19,145
You're doing this with resistor drops I hope...

no. what's the point? the preamp already uses dropping resistors at the preouts to drop down the power from the power amp. i use it straight from the speaker outs. no resistors. good results too. using speaker outputs is probably best thing i ever done with headphone driving.

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #5,388 of 19,145
With most vintage gear, if you want dropping resistors, all you have to do is use the headphone out. No need to recreate this for using speaker taps.

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #5,389 of 19,145
My latest baby, the Pio SX 626, fully restored.

And my next Project, the Marantz 2325

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #5,390 of 19,145
Wow, very nice! You guys are really making this thread proud :D

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #5,391 of 19,145
a little hungover from the annual 4th of july croquet tournament last night.   The tradition is to get everyone as drunk as possible by the end of the tournament.  it was a success.  and since everyone is off work today and not tomorrow it was a good decision to have the tourney last night instead of today.

nothings been able to sooth the headache until now.  a few ibuprofens, a lot of water and some nice music out of my 2245 to the HD650.  a very smooth non abrasive combination.  oh rocky raccoon

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #5,392 of 19,145
I've concluded that the headphone out of my SA-6500 absolutely wipes the floor with my Little Dot MKIII. It is incredibly transparent with the tone controls disabled, but the tone controls add a nice boost particularly in the sub bass region.

Quick question, is the headphone-out connected to the preamp or poweramp section?

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #5,393 of 19,145
The answer is both. It's being driven right off the power amp, but it doesn't in any way bypass the preamp.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #5,394 of 19,145
Quote:
The answer is both. It's being driven right off the power amp, but it doesn't in any way bypass the preamp.

Thanks, that answers my question.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #5,395 of 19,145
Quote:
a little hungover from the annual 4th of july croquet tournament last night.   The tradition is to get everyone as drunk as possible by the end of the tournament.  it was a success.  and since everyone is off work today and not tomorrow it was a good decision to have the tourney last night instead of today.

nothings been able to sooth the headache until now.  a few ibuprofens, a lot of water and some nice music out of my 2245 to the HD650.  a very smooth non abrasive combination.  oh rocky raccoon

orange juice -> greasy English style breakfast, works for me, even after a week of student partying.

but that second bit is what I wanted to know :p

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #5,396 of 19,145
Gotta a hot dinner date with a Pioneer D7000! Though, the audition is expected to last only as long as the appetizer. I've a question regarding sonic quality. I'm the owner of the SX-650. Before making the trip in commute rush traffic, does the BIG BAD D7000 sound a lot better than the SX-650? Or similar sound through the HPO, with differences only being in watts and feature set?
popcorn.gif

I leave in one hour, someone save me! 

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #5,397 of 19,145
Quote:
Gotta a hot dinner date with a Pioneer D7000! Though, the audition is expected to last only as long as the appetizer. I've a question regarding sonic quality. I'm the owner of the SX-650. Before making the trip in commute rush traffic, does the BIG BAD D7000 sound a lot better than the SX-650? Or similar sound through the HPO, with differences only being in watts and feature set?
popcorn.gif

I leave in one hour, someone save me! 

Gooooo!

Tighter bass, more transparent, quick sound rising and fading!!

Thanks me later!!

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #5,398 of 19,145
smiley_thumb.gif
 I'll thank you now! Neither Flouroscan meters work... but the amp does! 
biggrin.gif
 As they say, you get what you pay for, so I think I'll scoop it up at the discounted price. The SX-650 was kind, playing politely inside the listening room.

I want an amp where behind closed doors, the neighbors will wonder if I'm not partying inside with the devil himself! 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #5,399 of 19,145
Quote:
And my next Project, the Marantz 2325

Here are some pics of the 2325 I did.

The case had deep scratches in it, and required my orbital sander to smooth out. Yes, that was a last resort, but was needed. only had to replace a few caps with the power supply caps being the main ones(went all out with those two). I used teak oil to finish the case and black satin paint to repaint the grill. I made my own led bulbs to replace the lamps.

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5,400 of 19,145

Nice work moodyrn. The 2325 is an absolute monster. I'm finishing up restoring my 2220; still waiting for a replacement pot to come in. I'd like to get my hands on a wood case for mine, they look sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back