Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #5,402 of 19,145
smiley_thumb.gif
 Great effort, moodyrn!

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5,403 of 19,145
1980 Pioneer SX-D7000... 
wink.gif
 I brought baby home. Seller's pix below. Will post my own on Saturday once I find a way to shoe-horn this bad boy inside the audio rack! 

5Ib5L95Kd3E53m43L4c74ae1ee189fce41e74.jpg

Update: The bloom just fell off the rose! Between my carrying it down the long drive way to my car on the street, and then unloading this amp, the Bass control knob came off. And is now lost.
ph34r.gif

Something I can get from maybe 'The Shack' or eBay?

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #5,405 of 19,145
Quote:
Quote:
1979-80 Pioneer D7000... 
wink.gif
 I brought baby home. Seller's pix below. Will post my own on Saturday once I find a way to shoe-horn this bad boy inside the audio rack! 

Congrats! Very cool-looking.

Thanks. To my surprise, it was much bigger and heavier in person than the pix suggests.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #5,406 of 19,145
I recently purchased a Denon DRA-600 to replace the last receiver I had for my second system. It's really nice except the tuner seems a bit wonky and won't stay tuned. It may be my antenna but I'm going to take it in and see about it. I just use a typical dipole and no matter where I position it, it won't stay locked on to a signal. But I almost never listen to the radio anyway so it's not that big of a deal. This is an example with the front door down to show some of the buttons and other controls.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #5,408 of 19,145
Quote:

Here are some pics of the 2325 I did.

The case had deep scratches in it, and required my orbital sander to smooth out. Yes, that was a last resort, but was needed. only had to replace a few caps with the power supply caps being the main ones(went all out with those two). I used teak oil to finish the case and black satin paint to repaint the grill. I made my own led bulbs to replace the lamps.

Looks excellent :)

Yesterday I ve cleanded the main amplifiers and next week I will start recapping the most important parts incl. the phono section. Nevertheless, I will have a little problem, because a Sansui Eight Deluxe will arivve this weekend :)

Have fun

Philipp

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #5,409 of 19,145
Early impressions with the Vintage Pioneer SX-D7000 Receiver --
popcorn.gif

You guys have absolutely no idea... NONE. Ok, you do 
rolleyes.gif
. But I just wanted to delight in telling you all. Wait, hold that thought. Let's go back about a week inside this thread. I overheard dem Michigan boys, and another perhaps in Illinois 
wink_face.gif
, talking about there's no substitute for cubic inches, horsepower in reserve or something like that. Well, after finally sitting down to put this amp through its paces, I have to tell you this Big Block swings!

I'm still racing through the music library. But when I first sat down, I played the legendary recording "Save Your Love For Me" - The Cannonball Adderley Quintet featuring Nancy Wilson. 
eek.gif
 This track was haunting... and a whole lotta magic. It's a very wide dynamic recording with a lot of ebb and flow, teasing and pleasing between Nancy and Canonball. This pleasure only lasted 3 minutes and change, so I had to find other tracks to throw at the amp. Needless to say, the Pioneer was unfazed.

Next, I went Al Jarreau and Astrud Gilberto on the amp - thought I was gonna die 
blink.gif
 an untimely death... with the biggest grin on my face. 
biggrin.gif
 Skippin' around some more, B.B. King did his thing and right then and there I knew I had a winner! Now satisfied with my purchase, despite no Flouroscan meters, I played some Sly & The Family Stone and Weather Report. Did I mention this amp can swing?!

If I'm to get in the bed before sunrise, I better not play any Billy Cobham or Herbie Hancock! Now, if someone can steer me towards a replacement knob for the Bass control button...

My sampling overnight has been all digital pumped through the sup'd up W4S DAC-1 (Upgraded Digital Board; Low ESR "Super Caps"). Saturday, will have to see what vinyl sounds like...

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #5,410 of 19,145
The D-7000 is a nice piece, Silent One, congrats! You should be able to get that bass knob on eBay if you look around a while. And vinyl should sound great - IIRC, the D-7000 even has a moving coil setting on one of its phono inputs!

Moodyrn, that 2325 is just amazing. Superb work on that!

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #5,411 of 19,145
Quote:
The D-7000 is a nice piece, Silent One, congrats! You should be able to get that bass knob on eBay if you look around a while. And vinyl should sound great - IIRC, the D-7000 even has a moving coil setting on one of its phono inputs!

Thanks, Skylab! I find myself here fighting - not sleep but rather temptation. It's fast approaching 0700 hrs and I'm w-i-d-e awake getting acquainted with baby! 
biggrin.gif
 When I awake after lunch, I'm calling the local electronics shop to inquire about the Flouroscan meters. Yes, Dual Phono Stage.

With the small investment made and the HUGE dividend being returned, I am downright giddy... you know what I'm talkin' about, Meewoo!

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #5,412 of 19,145
Quote:
smiley_thumb.gif
 Great effort, moodyrn!

Quote:

Quote:

Yesterday I ve cleanded the main amplifiers and next week I will start recapping the most important parts incl. the phono section. Nevertheless, I will have a little problem, because a Sansui Eight Deluxe will arivve this weekend :)

Have fun

Philipp

Thanks guys .

Quote:
Early impressions with the Vintage Pioneer SX- D7000 Receiver --
popcorn.gif

rolleyes.gif
. But I just wanted to delight in telling you all. Wait, hold that thought. Let's go back about a week inside this thread. I overheard dem Michigan boys, and another perhaps in Illinois 
wink_face.gif
, talking about there's no substitute for cubic inches, horsepower in reserve or something like that. Well, after finally sitting down to put this amp through its paces, I have to tell you this Big Block swings!

I'm still racing through the music library. But when I first sat down, I played the legendary recording "Save Your Love For Me" - The Cannonball Adderley Quintet featuring Nancy Wilson. 
eek.gif
 This track was haunting... and a whole lotta magic. It's a very wide dynamic recording with a lot of ebb and flow, teasing and pleasing between Nancy and Canonball. This pleasure only lasted 3 minutes and change, so I had to find other tracks to throw at the amp. Needless to say, the Pioneer was unfazed.

Next, I went Al Jarreau and Astrud Gilberto on the amp - thought I was gonna die 
blink.gif
biggrin.gif
 Skippin' around some more, B.B. King did his thing and right then and there I knew I had a winner! Now satisfied with my purchase, despite no Flouroscan meters, I played some Sly & The Family Stone and Weather Report. Did I mention this amp can swing?!

If I'm to get in the bed before sunrise, I better not play any Billy Cobham or Herbie Hancock! Now, if someone can steer me towards a replacement knob for the Bass control button...

My sampling overnight has been all digital pumped through the sup'd up W4S DAC-1 (Upgraded Digital Board; Low ESR "Super Caps"). Saturday, will have to see what vinyl sounds like...

Congrats on a great find.  You have a killer setup.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #5,413 of 19,145
Thanks, Skylab! I find myself here fighting - not sleep but rather temptation. It's fast approaching 0700 hrs and I'm w-i-d-e awake getting acquainted with baby! :D  When I awake after lunch, I'm calling the local electronics shop to inquire about the Flouroscan meters. Yes, Dual Phono Stage.

Yes, you owe it to yourself to fix the Flouroscan meters if not to expensive - they are WAY cool :D

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #5,414 of 19,145
Quote:
Quote:
smiley_thumb.gif
 Great effort, moodyrn!

Quote:

Quote:

Have fun

Philipp

Thanks guys .

Quote:
Early impressions with the Vintage Pioneer SX- D7000 Receiver --
popcorn.gif

rolleyes.gif
wink_face.gif

eek.gif

blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Congrats on a great find.  You have a killer setup.

Thanks, it means a lot. Especially considering all of my purchases are made with careful thought, being unemployed. I've gotten by and built this entire system starting summer 2010 simply by selling stuff I'll likely never use again... or want. 
biggrin.gif

When I get a job, I'm gonna be dangerous. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #5,415 of 19,145
Very nice SilentOne!

can the SX 650(?) be compared to the SX D7000?

theres been a 7000 on my local CL for a few months now but the seller is asking for 425$ which seems a bit high to me.  especially since its condition is just  Ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back