Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 27, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #5,341 of 19,145
Great finds at <$30 a piece! It's also pretty great when the problems turn out to be just a clipped wire, eh?

This weekend I need to sit down and spend some quality time with my SX-780. Turns out someone hack-shorted the relay transistor to permanently bypass the protection circuit. I'm hoping I can just replace that transistor and have it all be okay, but I have a sinking feeling the problem won't end there, and there's going to be a couple more pieces to replace on this thing before it's up and running. What's funny is then it may end up being sold, since now I sold my Sextetts and don't need to drag a beast of an amp to school with me! It may end up being the living-room stereo then, which I don't really mind.

How many noise violations can I get in a college town with a 45wpc receiver and a pair of 80's Fischer speakers with 15" woofers?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #5,342 of 19,145
So I am hoping for some advice here.

Right now I am using my Dad's old Yamaha R-300 with headphones at work.  I am debating purchasing a Onkyo A-7022 to use instead.

Does anyone here have any experience with this reciever?  Its listed for ~85 bucks but I think I can probably talk the guy down a little bit.  It looks to be in mint condition.

I will be using this ONLY to drive headphones for right now. 

I will be using either Beyerdynamic DT-700 80ohms or Ultrasone HFI-780's with it.

Thoughts?

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #5,343 of 19,145
Quote:
So I am hoping for some advice here.

Right now I am using my Dad's old Yamaha R-300 with headphones at work.  I am debating purchasing a Onkyo A-7022 to use instead.

Does anyone here have any experience with this reciever?  Its listed for ~85 bucks but I think I can probably talk the guy down a little bit.  It looks to be in mint condition.

I will be using this ONLY to drive headphones for right now. 

I will be using either Beyerdynamic DT-700 80ohms or Ultrasone HFI-780's with it.

Thoughts?

Anyone?

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #5,344 of 19,145
My 2325 has arrived and the Eight Deluxe is in the line as well as the Celestion Ditton 662 :)

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #5,345 of 19,145
Enders, you have to realize there were a LOT of models of vintage receivers made over the years. The ones that are well known are the ones that have remained popular over time, and tend to be either the TOTL, or at least part of a line that was highly regarded.

Your best bet is to search AudioKarma. I did a quick search which would seem to indicate if you could get the Onkyo for $75 that would be a decent deal.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #5,346 of 19,145
Quote:
Enders, you have to realize there were a LOT of models of vintage receivers made over the years. The ones that are well known are the ones that have remained popular over time, and tend to be either the TOTL, or at least part of a line that was highly regarded.
Your best bet is to search AudioKarma. I did a quick search which would seem to indicate if you could get the Onkyo for $75 that would be a decent deal.

I do realize that, just figured there might be an owner here with experiences that hadn't posted them here.

I see lots of folks using Marantz, Kenwood & Yamaha (I myself am using a R-300), but didnt see any mention of Onkyo.

Didnt know if that was because they are rare and sought after, crappy and all junkers, or just not frequently used.

I am going to go ahead and pick it up for 85 bucks as it does look like a deal at that price point.  Its got more power than my R-300 (though I only use the headphones right now) and can handle 4 ohm loads so it should work pretty good long term should I want to use it with speakers.  That and it has pre-outs whereas my Yamaha doesnt.

I did do a couple searches on the web for this model, but didnt find a ton of info.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #5,347 of 19,145
Onkyo is generally a reputable brand. I'd wager that as long it was taken care of and doesn't need much age-related maintenance, you won't do that badly for the price.

Keep in mind that some vintage gear is really good but doesn't have high collector value because particular electronic components that wear with age (like capacitors and discrete transistors) are obsolete and difficult to find.

Since every manufacturer had their good and bad runs, and that particular model is not a commonly sought-out one, audiokarma will have to be your go-to resource. There is very little vintage equipment that no AK member has first-hand experience with.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #5,348 of 19,145
Buying vintage gear, unless you're buying from your dad (and sometimes even then) is always a bit of a risk. On the other hand, if a piece of gear has been working for 40 years, chances are good that it'll keep working. Why? Natural selection. All the units with weak components have long ago failed and are rusting away in landfills. So it's an adventure, and you'll enjoy it more if you treat it as such, which means budgeting for the occasional failure. If you can't find anything on the Onkyo but it looks good otherwise (not just sufficient power, but good tone control versatility and other evidence of care in the design), AND you won't be financially or emotionally damaged if it blows up next year, why not take the plunge and break some new ground for future HFers and AKers?

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #5,349 of 19,145
I am planning on picking it up. It's not local to me but I have a friend in the area looking at it for me and demo'ing it on speakers for me. I trust his judgement. He's going to look at it tomorrow and pick it up for me. I will pick it up from him when I pass that way next Monday.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #5,350 of 19,145
Was planning on sticking to modern headphone amps but once again the vintage thread drags me in ............... 
tongue.gif

The headphone out of the Pioneer SX737 is fantastic.  My only other headphone experience with vintage amps was the Sansui AU-717.  In my opinion, the 717 didn't synergize well with the LCD-2.  The 737 on the other hand, drives the HE-500 well, with clarity and focus.    

Would you guys with Pioneer SX series and orthos suggest trying driving the headphones via the speaker outs or stick with the headphone output.  No need to get my cables re-terminated with spades if the headphone and speaker outs are on par.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #5,351 of 19,145
Quote:
<snip>

Would you guys with Pioneer SX series and orthos suggest trying driving the headphones via the speaker outs or stick with the headphone output.  No need to get my cables re-terminated with spades if the headphone and speaker outs are on par.

I use my HE-6 straight from the headphone out of my SX-1980. I've tried using the speaker outs with the HE-adapter, but I found it overkill and unnecessary.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #5,352 of 19,145
Totally agree. The headphone out works very well for me.

Jun 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5,354 of 19,145
Quote:
Was planning on sticking to modern headphone amps but once again the vintage thread drags me in ............... 
tongue.gif

The headphone out of the Pioneer SX737 is fantastic.  My only other headphone experience with vintage amps was the Sansui AU-717.  In my opinion, the 717 didn't synergize well with the LCD-2.  The 737 on the other hand, drives the HE-500 well, with clarity and focus.    

I had a sx1010 which is the same series of sx as yours and the headphone out was more than enough. Heck I could drive it fine out of the headphone out even with the -20db button engaged.

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #5,355 of 19,145
I finally got the matching tuner for my Fisher KX-100, a 50-B. and of course, I had to have a matching cabinet made :D

86999955.jpg

582d7a44.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back