Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #18,406 of 19,143
I need a recommendation. What cheap desktop dac would you guys recommend for a hifi setup? only specifications i need is it having DSD support, Optical in, USB or even apple usb *fingers cross but not a must*. currently running the JDM Pioneer XPA700 and it works like a charm but yet want something static that will stay there instead of keep unpluging it everytime i go out.

The musical fidelity V90 Dac can be had for around $200 or less. Not sure if that is cheap enough though.

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #18,408 of 19,143
I need a recommendation. What cheap desktop dac would you guys recommend for a hifi setup? only specifications i need is it having DSD support, Optical in, USB or even apple usb *fingers cross but not a must*. currently running the JDM Pioneer XPA700 and it works like a charm but yet want something static that will stay there instead of keep unpluging it everytime i go out.
The Topping D50 S comes to mind, $200 on Drop.com or $249.95 on Amazon. Up to DSD512.

Sep 29, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #18,409 of 19,143
that is a very interesting suggestion. and the price is alright. not a brand im very familiar of because of where im from but im very interested in it

I have one and think it sounds quite good.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #18,410 of 19,143
anyway i found a new issue with the marantz. since i dint get to fix the phono stage yet. i finally figured out the issue. the left channel is dead. so yea need to send that to the tech some day when im free enough :D for now ill just run the line input

Oct 1, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #18,411 of 19,143
I'm looking for an integrated amp to complement my hifiman arya headphones.

Qualities im looking for: Tight bass control, a bit forward midrange, a little laid back treble (the aryas treble is a tiny bit bright especially in the 9-11k range) and good soundstage.
Im mainly looking in the sub $400 area.
Main concern is headphone out quality, thereafter features, though some of these have a lot of connectivity that looks sweet.
I would really love an integrated dac if it doesnt come at the cost of quality.

Ive picked out a few candidates in my area that i've been reading about, and hope someone can guide me in the right direction:
These are all within my budget, so cost is not a factor.

Pioneer:
Pioneer A10AE
Pioneer A40AE
Pioneer SX-10AE
Pioneer SX-20DAB

Denon:
Denon PMA-520AE
Denon RCD-M41

NAD:
NAD C316BEE v2

Onkyo:
Onkyo A-9130
Onkyo A-9110
Onkyo TX-8220
Onkyo TX-8130

Yamaha:
Yamaha A-S501
Yamaha A-S301
Yamaha R-N402D
Yamaha R-N303

Oct 1, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #18,412 of 19,143
The Onkyo and Pioneers Ive owned are a bit brighter than others Ive had. Perhaps check into a Sansui or Marantz unit.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #18,413 of 19,143
The Onkyo and Pioneers Ive owned are a bit brighter than others Ive had. Perhaps check into a Sansui or Marantz unit.

Thanks for your input.
Which other amps have you had and how would you rate them?

I looked at the Marantz PM5005 and m-cr511, but a lot of reviews complained about build quality and component failure, which turned me away from them.
I have not seen any sansui amps in my country (Norway).

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #18,414 of 19,143
Thanks for your input.
Which other amps have you had and how would you rate them?

I looked at the Marantz PM5005 and m-cr511, but a lot of reviews complained about build quality and component failure, which turned me away from them.
I have not seen any sansui amps in my country (Norway).
Check my signature. :)
I own receivers as opposed to amps,simply because I prefer the looks of receivers. @UntilThen has owned several Sansui amps,but I think well above your price point.
The Sansui 881 has some of the best mids ive heard. Warm sound with rolled off treble. The Sansui 5000a is like a warm blanket. Ultra warm,with crazy bass.

So not each unit from the same company will sound identical. Unfortunately I havent owned any of the other companies you mentioned. Perhaps one of those will work for you,I simply cannot say.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #18,415 of 19,143
Qualities im looking for: Tight bass control, a bit forward midrange, a little laid back treble (the aryas treble is a tiny bit bright especially in the 9-11k range) and good soundstage.

I've just the amp you're looking for but unfortunately it's at the top end of the scale. It's the Sansui AU-Alpha 907MR.

The other Sansui that I can think of is the Sansui AU-7700. This is much cheaper and has similar attributes to what you're looking for. All the Sansui units have great headphone out because you're really listening to the amp with a resistor in place to make it suitable for headphones.

Oct 1, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #18,416 of 19,143
I'm looking for an integrated amp to complement my hifiman arya headphones.

Im mainly looking in the sub $400 area.
Main concern is headphone out quality, thereafter features, though some of these have a lot of connectivity that looks sweet.
I would really love an integrated dac if it doesnt come at the cost of quality.

Ive picked out a few candidates in my area that i've been reading about, and hope someone can guide me in the right direction:
These are all within my budget, so cost is not a factor.

Pioneer:
Pioneer A10AE
Pioneer A40AE
Pioneer SX-10AE
Pioneer SX-20DAB

Denon:
Denon PMA-520AE
Denon RCD-M41

NAD:
NAD C316BEE v2

Onkyo:
Onkyo A-9130
Onkyo A-9110
Onkyo TX-8220
Onkyo TX-8130

Yamaha:
Yamaha A-S501
Yamaha A-S301
Yamaha R-N402D
Yamaha R-N303

I'm glad to have steered you into this den of evil!
Personally, I run all of my planars straight off of the speaker taps (just solder a 4-pin XLR cable to the end of two speaker cables and you are all set). I recommend Yamaha and Kenwood for slightly rolled off treble, I had an Akai that was very similar in its sound sig to the Yamaha but big, silverface wood bodied amps are sexier. Of the Yamahas you put up I would go for the A-S501, however, if you can find a CA-600 thats cheaper and in good condition I would consider that first.

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #18,417 of 19,143
Personally, I run all of my planars straight off of the speaker taps (just solder a 4-pin XLR cable to the end of two speaker cables and you are all set).

Would you mind to share more details on the pin configurations? I always want to do it.
Is it work with all kind of amps?
I think the integrated amps with volume pot would be more convenient for this.

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #18,418 of 19,143
Would you mind to share more details on the pin configurations? I always want to do it.
Is it work with all kind of amps?
I think the integrated amps with volume pot would be more convenient for this.

It's super simple, this is the diagram I use (this depicts the back end of the plug). You don't have any choice but to use it with something that has a volume knob, integrated or pre-power combo. It will work with any kind of amp that has speaker outputs, I personally wouldn't try it with anything that does more than 130WPC into 8ohms (arbitrary cutoff). Try this at your own peril, I've done it with all my planars (HE-500, LCD-3, Ether Flow1.1) but I would never do it with dynamics. Some say it works perfectly for dynamics but I'm not tempted.

The Ether Flows pick up the most hum but I can even hear it with my HE-500s; for any Abyss, Susvara or LCD-4 owners this is a potentially cheap way to get the best power into there headphones at a reasonable price, especially if you already have a speaker setup.

4-Pin_Lugs.jpg

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #18,420 of 19,143
I drive all my headphone with the Sansui AU 7700, but especially Orthodynamics gained with this pairing made in heaven...My last ortho is the Fostex T10 (one of the first ortho 1977) that outclass all my other headphone, and the headphone out of the Sansui is revealing the sound of the amp.itself : warm but detailed, with powerful bass but without any traces of muddy bass on the mids, and an imaging power that will contribute with the right source to bliss...I had one of the alpha more refined series and this is Sansui refinement but with more analytic powers without any harshness... I am in love with the organic flowing "tube sound" of the Au-7700 tough, without any details loss...The pairing with my Mission Cyrus speakers, a relaxed british sound, is heavenly... The T10 would gained something more with the Alpha Sansui tough...(I will reconnect it in the times coming only for this headphone)...
I will never sold my 2 Sansuis for any price seen in the market.. That is my testimonies about their headphone out : perfect...
My best to all here...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back