Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 4, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #18,393 of 19,136
Here's my latest - I'm veering away from Sansui for a bit (except for my Sansui Eight which will be with me til I die) - just sold my AU-7900 to fund this very near mint Fisher 800C. It's fully restored and as close to mint as you can get. I have to say I've never heard anything like it - only on headphones for now, waiting for some banana plugs to connect it to my
speakers.

Fisher 800C-1.jpg Fisher 800C-5.jpg Fisher 800C-9.jpg Fisher 800C-8.jpg Fisher 800C-10.jpg

Sep 4, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #18,395 of 19,136
@DRHamp beautiful! Like my Fisher 400, it will have a mid-range to die for. Great on HD600. Congrats!

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #18,397 of 19,136
There are some recommended mods to the Fisher receivers - one being the addition of output tube cathode resistors (10 ohms) so that you can monitor to see if the current is appropriate. The resistors also act as a fuse if the tube goes rogue. I have done this to my 400. I also added a bias adjust so I can prevent the tubes from running too hot.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #18,398 of 19,136
Thanks @SpeakerBox - I know he did the grid return resistor mod from 330ohm to 220ohm along with the coupling cap change and added an IBAM - I'll have to ask him about the cathode resistor.
It sounds phenomenal through my 800S headphones.

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #18,399 of 19,136
I have to mention that the more I listen to the Fisher 400 via LS3/5As and HD600s the more I appreciate it. It produces the purest sound I think I have ever heard. You are just enveloped in this smooth and detailed musical nirvana. Right now it is my go to piece of gear (although I am starting to build a First Watt F6 Clone via DIY audio and we will see how it stacks up against the Fisher - still collecting the parts). Still keeping the 1250 for it's ability to produce gut punching sound :L3000:.

Edit: and the Fisher has not even been completely re-tubed yet!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #18,400 of 19,136
I have to mention that the more I listen to the Fisher 400 via LS3/5As and HD600s the more I appreciate it. It produces the purest sound I think I have ever heard. You are just enveloped in this smooth and detailed musical nirvana. Right now it is my go to piece of gear (although I am starting to build a First Watt F6 Clone via DIY audio and we will see how it stacks up against the Fisher - still collecting the parts). Still keeping the 1250 for it's ability to produce gut punching sound :L3000:.

Edit: and the Fisher has not even been completely re-tubed yet![/QUOTE

@SpeakerBox - have you auditioned the KEF LS50s and if so, how would you compare them to the LS3/5As? I'm currently very interested in the LS50s but haven't yet pulled the trigger. I'm currently using KEF Q100s and or Jamo S803s and am looking to upgrade.
On another note I'm still enjoying my Fisher 800C and whether it's to speakers or my HD800S - I've not heard anything better. Just would like to kick it up another notch with a speaker upgrade.

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #18,401 of 19,136
@DRHamp I have not heard the LS50s, but would like to. Have had my LS3/5As for over 40 years and will never part with them. Not the last word in bass, but OH that mid-range!

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #18,403 of 19,136
Anyway new update, i rigged a ground from a UK 3 prong plug with only the ground cable connected onto the ground terminal of the marantz chassis and its still humming. im guessing the phono amp of the marantz need to be checked. i mean its a 70s amp and after so many years in storage something might have gone wrong. so yea gonna find a reliable repair guy to have a look at it. and i need to turn the volume up to like 12 o clock to barely hear anything if i plug the tt into the phono stage(Over the unbearing low end hum). and even so. only the right channel have sound. i know it isnt the speakers or anything cause if i run another source through the aux in, it works perfectly. anyway thanks for all the advice! I really learn a lot.( Vintage Technics TT looks very tempting to me now )

The speakers are Aiwa SX-N990 from an old Aiwa Hifi system my family owned when i was a kid. Honestly the speakers are pretty flat compare to my Yamaha HS-8 but with the Marantz EQ i was able to get an enjoyable sound out of it. Still hunting for a pair of NS-10m though

I had an NSX-d939 from the year it was released circa 1994 (shiny, shiny pro logic new toy with neon green lights) right through to 2009. That unit is to blame for me selling all my vinyl because it sounded so so good and the future didn't involve vinyl. I hate (these days) that unit for sounding that good :wink: although I was pretty crushed when it perished through child interference. crushed biscuits in CD tray. Broken motor on the amp/effects control tray, mid tweeter pushed in etc.

I suspect those Aiwa speakers (3 way?) you have will sound much better than your average "stock" midi speakers. Bit bassy though with that massive port along the bottom and some cymbals can sound a bit overpowering on some records. I don't think they'll match what the Marantz can give though.

The D939 was quite far up the aiwa chain at the time. Speakers look pretty similar although I think the 990 was a slightly paired down version a few years later?

This isn't my picture as I wasn't into taking pictures of audio equipment back then :wink: but I used to put the 2 parts side by side rather than on top of each other like this picture. Those aren't the original speakers in that picture though. Way bigger. Maybe the owner went for more watts? The one downer was that this era the outer plastic had some sort of matt rubbery coating and it attracted dust and grease from fingers like a static magnet.:

1892edc447b44332b2f3d6d08f8cde9f.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #18,404 of 19,136
I had an NSX-d939 from the year it was released circa 1994 (shiny, shiny pro logic new toy with neon green lights) right through to 2009. That unit is to blame for me selling all my vinyl because it sounded so so good and the future didn't involve vinyl. I hate (these days) that unit for sounding that good :wink: although I was pretty crushed when it perished through child interference. crushed biscuits in CD tray. Broken motor on the amp/effects control tray, mid tweeter pushed in etc.

I suspect those Aiwa speakers (3 way?) you have will sound much better than your average "stock" midi speakers. Bit bassy though with that massive port along the bottom and some cymbals can sound a bit overpowering on some records. I don't think they'll match what the Marantz can give though.

The D939 was quite far up the aiwa chain at the time. Speakers look pretty similar although I think the 990 was a slightly paired down version a few years later?

This isn't my picture as I wasn't into taking pictures of audio equipment back then :wink: but I used to put the 2 parts side by side rather than on top of each other like this picture. Those aren't the original speakers in that picture though. Way bigger. Maybe the owner went for more watts? The one downer was that this era the outer plastic had some sort of matt rubbery coating and it attracted dust and grease from fingers like a static magnet.:

1892edc447b44332b2f3d6d08f8cde9f.jpg

oddly enough i think it did an ok job with the marantz. (but maybe its just what im use to listening because i had tons of hours with it since i was a kid). the only complaint i have is its less "full" sounding so i have to bump up the bass on the marantz eq. im just used to having bigger speakers cause i have a pair of yamaha HS-8. and yes its 3 way. mids and highs are awesome! honestly i wanna get a pair of yamaha ns-10 to see what the fuzz is about.

Just wonder, how much does it cost to service this amp in malaysia?

the cap job and clean up cost me about 20usd

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #18,405 of 19,136
I need a recommendation. What cheap desktop dac would you guys recommend for a hifi setup? only specifications i need is it having DSD support, Optical in, USB or even apple usb *fingers cross but not a must*. currently running the JDM Pioneer XPA700 and it works like a charm but yet want something static that will stay there instead of keep unpluging it everytime i go out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back