Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 26, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #18,376 of 19,142
Anyway new update, i rigged a ground from a UK 3 prong plug with only the ground cable connected onto the ground terminal of the marantz chassis and its still humming. im guessing the phono amp of the marantz need to be checked. i mean its a 70s amp and after so many years in storage something might have gone wrong. so yea gonna find a reliable repair guy to have a look at it. and i need to turn the volume up to like 12 o clock to barely hear anything if i plug the tt into the phono stage(Over the unbearing low end hum). and even so. only the right channel have sound. i know it isnt the speakers or anything cause if i run another source through the aux in, it works perfectly. anyway thanks for all the advice! I really learn a lot.( Vintage Technics TT looks very tempting to me now )

The speakers are Aiwa SX-N990 from an old Aiwa Hifi system my family owned when i was a kid. Honestly the speakers are pretty flat compare to my Yamaha HS-8 but with the Marantz EQ i was able to get an enjoyable sound out of it. Still hunting for a pair of NS-10m though

yea only on phono. even without anything connected. and i switch to phono. it hums. on the aux channel it works like a charm.

It's pretty normal for there to be a slight hum when you switch to phono with or without something plugged in. I suspect that your ground cable job has done you no benefits but I could be wrong. If your in the UK there are a lot of brands that you can look into local to you (Rega, Linn, Sondeck for starters). Chances are that the cheapest of any of those will out perform your audio technica. However, if your not serious about throwing lots and lots of money at vinyl just skip it all together.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #18,378 of 19,142
Anyway new update, i rigged a ground from a UK 3 prong plug with only the ground cable connected onto the ground terminal of the marantz chassis and its still humming. im guessing the phono amp of the marantz need to be checked. i mean its a 70s amp and after so many years in storage something might have gone wrong. so yea gonna find a reliable repair guy to have a look at it. and i need to turn the volume up to like 12 o clock to barely hear anything if i plug the tt into the phono stage(Over the unbearing low end hum). and even so. only the right channel have sound. i know it isnt the speakers or anything cause if i run another source through the aux in, it works perfectly.

Sounds like oxidized switches and potentiometers. A typical problem with barn find electronic appliances. I had a similar experience with my MA6200.
I would get a good contact cleaners like deoxit, open the unit and clean all the switches and pots. Most likely it will solve 93.7% of the problems.

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #18,379 of 19,142
Sounds like oxidized switches and potentiometers. A typical problem with barn find electronic appliances. I had a similar experience with my MA6200.
I would get a good contact cleaners like deoxit, open the unit and clean all the switches and pots. Most likely it will solve 93.7% of the problems.

93.7521 actually.:dt880smile:

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #18,380 of 19,142
It's pretty normal for there to be a slight hum when you switch to phono with or without something plugged in. I suspect that your ground cable job has done you no benefits but I could be wrong. If your in the UK there are a lot of brands that you can look into local to you (Rega, Linn, Sondeck for starters). Chances are that the cheapest of any of those will out perform your audio technica. However, if your not serious about throwing lots and lots of money at vinyl just skip it all together.

I'm from Malaysia actually so yea those are pretty expensive

t r u e

It’s much more satisfying nowadays to connect a chromecast audio to a healthy vintage setup than playing records with limited budget.

i also have a digital setup connected to a switcher into the aux in of the marantz. it sounded awesome :D

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #18,381 of 19,142
Oh, malaysia. Apa kabar pak?
Just enjoy what you got there. No need to rush to get to the next one. Find the local audio community. Usually they have one or two gears that they want to unload for a reasonable price to their community members. Or just ‘dipinjamkan’ for indefinite period of time..

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #18,382 of 19,142
I'm from Malaysia actually so yea those are pretty expensive

i also have a digital setup connected to a switcher into the aux in of the marantz. it sounded awesome :D

I wonder why I thought you were in the UK? Sorry about that. I think that you should probably just leave the vinyl alone tbh...

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #18,383 of 19,142
If vinyl is just a casual thing for you, I'd look to upgrade speakers 1st. Something nice and vintage to complement the Marantz. Mind-you, Aiwa did make some fairly decent speakers ... what model are they?

A Marantz turntable of the same vintage would be the 1st go-to for many in your position. However, they really are going for some silly prices these days. Many 'vintage' turntables would easily best your Audio Technica for a lot less $$.

If you are thinking of upgrading, then I'd also keep the cost of a re-cap in mind for the Marantz ... assuming there is someone local to you that can do a half-decent job.

It is nice when you obtain something like that from a family member. My Sansui AU-7700 and TU-7700 were originally purchased by my father-in-law in 1974.

Speak of the devil the cap exploded today. oh well i guess i have to send it for a cap job asap

Aug 29, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #18,385 of 19,142
Speak of the devil the cap exploded today. oh well i guess i have to send it for a cap job asap

How were you listening when this happened? HPs, Speakers, Phono, etc.? Anything shorted?

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #18,386 of 19,142
How were you listening when this happened? HPs, Speakers, Phono, etc.? Anything shorted?
dont think it was the phono. i wasnt even using the phono. it was just old caps that i dint check that was already bulging. already sent it to the repairman. said he will call me in a few days.
Post a picture of the exploded cap
unfortunately forgot to take a pic of it. already sent the amp to a tech

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #18,387 of 19,142
Photo on 2019-08-31 at 3.38 PM.jpg

My Kenwood KA-8006 integrated amp, [1974]. I was with my brother when he bought this amp back in 1974. He gave it to me some 10 years ago or so. Needed a couple of shots of Deoxit D5 : vol. knob & tone control knobs. She's purring again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back