Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 26, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #18,361 of 19,142
i guess its time to get a decent vintage tt from the used market. even though i just got the audio technica like a week ago before finding the marantz a few days later rofl
Told you would get solid advice in this thread. I no longer have a vinyl system but im sure these guys can help you get a great TT for your "new"Marantz.

Enjoy.

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #18,362 of 19,142
If vinyl is just a casual thing for you, I'd look to upgrade speakers 1st. Something nice and vintage to complement the Marantz. Mind-you, Aiwa did make some fairly decent speakers ... what model are they?

A Marantz turntable of the same vintage would be the 1st go-to for many in your position. However, they really are going for some silly prices these days. Many 'vintage' turntables would easily best your Audio Technica for a lot less $$.

If you are thinking of upgrading, then I'd also keep the cost of a re-cap in mind for the Marantz ... assuming there is someone local to you that can do a half-decent job.

It is nice when you obtain something like that from a family member. My Sansui AU-7700 and TU-7700 were originally purchased by my father-in-law in 1974.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #18,363 of 19,142
Good advice from all.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #18,364 of 19,142
Anyway new update, i rigged a ground from a UK 3 prong plug with only the ground cable connected onto the ground terminal of the marantz chassis and its still humming. im guessing the phono amp of the marantz need to be checked. i mean its a 70s amp and after so many years in storage something might have gone wrong. so yea gonna find a reliable repair guy to have a look at it. and i need to turn the volume up to like 12 o clock to barely hear anything if i plug the tt into the phono stage(Over the unbearing low end hum). and even so. only the right channel have sound. i know it isnt the speakers or anything cause if i run another source through the aux in, it works perfectly. anyway thanks for all the advice! I really learn a lot.( Vintage Technics TT looks very tempting to me now )

If vinyl is just a casual thing for you, I'd look to upgrade speakers 1st. Something nice and vintage to complement the Marantz. Mind-you, Aiwa did make some fairly decent speakers ... what model are they?

A Marantz turntable of the same vintage would be the 1st go-to for many in your position. However, they really are going for some silly prices these days. Many 'vintage' turntables would easily best your Audio Technica for a lot less $$.

If you are thinking of upgrading, then I'd also keep the cost of a re-cap in mind for the Marantz ... assuming there is someone local to you that can do a half-decent job.

It is nice when you obtain something like that from a family member. My Sansui AU-7700 and TU-7700 were originally purchased by my father-in-law in 1974.

The speakers are Aiwa SX-N990 from an old Aiwa Hifi system my family owned when i was a kid. Honestly the speakers are pretty flat compare to my Yamaha HS-8 but with the Marantz EQ i was able to get an enjoyable sound out of it. Still hunting for a pair of NS-10m though

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #18,365 of 19,142
Anyway new update, i rigged a ground from a UK 3 prong plug with only the ground cable connected onto the ground terminal of the marantz chassis and its still humming. im guessing the phono amp of the marantz need to be checked. i mean its a 70s amp and after so many years in storage something might have gone wrong. so yea gonna find a reliable repair guy to have a look at it. and i need to turn the volume up to like 12 o clock to barely hear anything if i plug the tt into the phono stage(Over the unbearing low end hum). and even so. only the right channel have sound. i know it isnt the speakers or anything cause if i run another source through the aux in, it works perfectly. anyway thanks for all the advice! I really learn a lot. ( and the vintage technics TT does look very tempting to me now )

The speakers are Aiwa SX-N990 from an old Aiwa Hifi system my family owned when i was a kid. Honestly the speakers are pretty flat compare to my Yamaha HS-8 but with the Marantz EQ i was able to get an enjoyable sound out of it. Still hunting for a pair of NS-10m though

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #18,366 of 19,142
@Pinksoshistuff its not the Marantz that needs grounding, but rather the turntable. The TT is supposed to connect to the ground terminal on the Marantz. Grounding the Marantz won't help.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #18,368 of 19,142
but it hums without the tt even connected to it though. but sure i'll still try to hunt down a vintage tt with a terminal to make sure

If that is only when phono is selected that may be ok, if it does the same on the aux input there may be an issue. Most likely a bad capacitor in the power supply.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #18,370 of 19,142
yea only on phono. even without anything connected. and i switch to phono. it hums. on the aux channel it works like a charm.

My guess is that if a TT ground was properly connected to the ground terminal on the Marantz it would not hum.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #18,372 of 19,142
Might be of interest to some,although not really vintage,per se.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #18,374 of 19,142
70-80s pioneer and technics are very tempting right now :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

As a former club DJ who learned the art on Technics 1200s,I can tell you theyre very nice TTs,though I dont have much experience with other models.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #18,375 of 19,142
I'd lean towards a Technics rather than a Pioneer. Technics was known for their turntables, especially direct drive models, and many purchased them regardless of the brands of the rest of their equipment. Perhaps less-so for Pioneer. There's nothing technical that would preclude one brand over the other .... just avoidance of a 'hodge-podge' of equipment.

I have a SL-1210 Mk2 and I've had SL-1401, SL-1700, SL-1300, SL-1500 Mk2, SL-1800, SL-1800 Mk2, etc. All good. A few well-known issues here and there, none of which are really show-stoppers. For me, I think the sweet spot would be a SL-1700 Mk2. It really is pretty-much a semi-automatic version of the SL-1210, with suspension and without the 'DJ-look' (which many don't really like). Basically same motor and Quartz-lock speed control, same tonearm (with height adjustment), etc. and capable of taking many of the mods developed for the SL-1200 /1210.

My SL-1210 sported a modded Rega tonearm up until a couple months ago. I'm putting the original back on with upgraded tonearm wiring, interconnects, fluid damper, external power supply, etc. (when I get back to it!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back