Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #18,437 of 19,136
Of course a recap will necessitate re-adjustment of the settings - so in general it is best to recap first and then set per service manual, IMHO.

Absolutely!

The restoration process would include an adjustment, heatsoak testing and monitoring period at the end of the resto.

You’d only adjust the amp first if there was no intention of restoring the amp in the immediate future.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #18,438 of 19,136
Who would you recommend for servicing a Sansui 881?

You will need to find a suitably experienced/qualified tech or hobbyist in your local area. Are there any general or vintage audio forums in Norway where you can search for someone? You could always try audiokarma.org.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #18,439 of 19,136
A recapped sansui 800 is my daily driver at work, I also have a G-401 waiting for a service when I find time and someone in the UK to recap it. With the G-401 I will have the chance to hear the difference between orignal and recapped, the 800 came recapped and is sublime with all its sansui goodness.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #18,440 of 19,136
So I just took this off a shelf... I got it a couple years ago and never really used it other than to see if it worked .. I started having issues with the old Kenwood KR-V106R I had on my desk and hooked this Yamaha RX-700U (65WPC 8ohms .009THD from specs) and it is a revelation this is one sweet receiver pair w/ some 90s JBL L1 bookshelf speakers ... and it sounds superb but what is blowing my mind is how good the headphone section is... I own Fostex T50RP's mk3's I rarely use because I hadn't found a amp I liked them with much.. well that all changed today.. because I'm quite stoked on how the T50's sound with the Yammy.. good stuff..

RX700U.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #18,441 of 19,136
Yamaha made some great receivers back in the day. Would love to get my hands one of the old CR-2010 receivers.

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #18,442 of 19,136
Yamaha made some great receivers back in the day. Would love to get my hands one of the old CR-2010 receivers.

oh yeah.. a CR-2010 would be something ... what is strange (to me) I have a TOTL Sony ES Stack from ~1989 (TA-N77ES /TA-E77ESD ..etc) and this yammy absolutely kills the sony's headphone output section to my ears it is no contest the mid range yammy all day.

on the upside with driving my Yamaha NS-344 10" 3ways the sony is quite good indeed. and it looks kewl?

desk_jun18.jpg

(es stack to left perhaps obviously)

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #18,443 of 19,136
oh yeah.. a CR-2010 would be something ... what is strange (to me) I have a TOTL Sony ES Stack from ~1989 (TA-N77ES /TA-E77ESD ..etc) and this yammy absolutely kills the sony's headphone output section to my ears it is no contest the mid range yammy all day.

on the upside with driving my Yamaha NS-344 10" 3ways the sony is quite good indeed. and it looks kewl?

Woh. Very nice set-up atarione. I'm also guessing you live in Seattle or in the vicinity (I have a gift for detecting these things :wink:)

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #18,444 of 19,136

Very nice gear!

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #18,445 of 19,136
Woh. Very nice set-up atarione. I'm also guessing you live in Seattle or in the vicinity (I have a gift for detecting these things :wink:)

lol... I wish I was still in Seattle.. I'm currently living in Exile near Los Angles... but I remain loyal to my Seahawks / Mariners ... I did/do want to move home soon if possible.. however after going to Ireland this spring my plan is "evolving" to instead get a job in Dublin and move to Ireland instead.. but I am seriously willing to consider NOT LOS ANGLES options =p

Don't want to think how much it would cost to ship that sony stack to Ireland however? and I'd go broke on voltage adapters ??

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #18,446 of 19,136
lol... I wish I was still in Seattle.. I'm currently living in Exile near Los Angles... but I remain loyal to my Seahawks / Mariners ... I did/do want to move home soon if possible.. however after going to Ireland this spring my plan is "evolving" to instead get a job in Dublin and move to Ireland instead.. but I am seriously willing to consider NOT LOS ANGLES options =p

Don't want to think how much it would cost to ship that sony stack to Ireland however? and I'd go broke on voltage adapters ??

The hawks are a good team. Was surprised they lost this past week. Your gear is probably good enough to worth the power adapters. Nice stuff.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #18,447 of 19,136
Snagged two lots this week that sit either side of my vintage sansui's, the local auction strikes again with a Pioneer PL112D turntable with a pair of celef monitor speakers another lot a pair of Akg K240 sextett's EP?
Early days on the Pioneer PL112D I just rolled it straight into my system, sounds very good without checking anything it betters my Technics .
The Question mark on the Akg K240's is are they EP's they have the waffle grill, the diffusers are pale orange like my other MP's but they sound different with more bass/thump. We all know how well they pair with vintage recievers/amps so does it really matter if they are EP's ? Not really and only when buying or selling. Done the buying of them and I won't be selling!
The Celef Monitor's are a little large for my current listening space but what the future holds?

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #18,448 of 19,136
Snagged two lots this week that sit either side of my vintage sansui's, the local auction strikes again with a Pioneer PL112D turntable with a pair of celef monitor speakers another lot a pair of Akg K240 sextett's EP?
Early days on the Pioneer PL112D I just rolled it straight into my system, sounds very good without checking anything it betters my Technics .
The Question mark on the Akg K240's is are they EP's they have the waffle grill, the diffusers are pale orange like my other MP's but they sound different with more bass/thump. We all know how well they pair with vintage recievers/amps so does it really matter if they are EP's ? Not really and only when buying or selling. Done the buying of them and I won't be selling!
The Celef Monitor's are a little large for my current listening space but what the future holds?

Sounds like a nice haul @northendjazz. Congrats!

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #18,449 of 19,136

Congratulations northenjazz. A member who could probably help you with the AKG K240 Sextetts is Monsterzero. You can maybe send him a message. I know he talks about different AKG 240 models on a YouTube video he made.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #18,450 of 19,136
Congratulations northenjazz. A member who could probably help you with the AKG K240 Sextetts is Monsterzero. You can maybe send him a message. I know he talks about different AKG 240 models on a YouTube video he made.

Yep, when I have some pic's I can send a pm, I think it was Monsterzero's posts here and on youtube that put me on to the K240's, I snagged some true k240 sextett s EP's on ebay last night so I will have a direct comparison next week.

Its thanks to the good people of this thread that apart from portable gear all my headphone amps are vintage receiver/amps, source gear is mix as I don't have room for 800+ LP's plus some stuff is not on vinyl anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back