Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #13,861 of 19,142
We gave our daughter our old Pioneer SX 750.  She set it up with her TV...house already wired so she just had to plug it in.  She is trying to figure out if there is a way to hook up a remote control.  Anyone know if this is possible?

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #13,862 of 19,142
See if the TV has a setting for variable line level output.  With that the volume goes up and down with the TV remote instead of being constant full blast line level output.
Otherwise, you are buying a separate line level attenuation box with a remote.
I'm assuming you are running an RCA cord from an output on the back of the TV to an aux input on the SX-750.

Coming up on 48 hours of burn-in on my Marantz 1060, getting better and better.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #13,863 of 19,142
We gave our daughter our old Pioneer SX 750.  She set it up with her TV...house already wired so she just had to plug it in.  She is trying to figure out if there is a way to hook up a remote control.  Anyone know if this is possible?

Look on eBay for a Chase RLC-1 remote. You can find them for less than $200. I have three of them now on vintage systems. Love them!

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #13,864 of 19,142
  See if the TV has a setting for variable line level output.  With that the volume goes up and down with the TV remote instead of being constant full blast line level output.
Otherwise, you are buying a separate line level attenuation box with a remote.
I'm assuming you are running an RCA cord from an output on the back of the TV to an aux input on the SX-750.

Coming up on 48 hours of burn-in on my Marantz 1060, getting better and better.

If the TV has an optical out, it could be hooked up to a DAC with a remotely-operated attenuator as well.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #13,865 of 19,142
Hey guys I have a quick question for you regarding headphones and amplifier synergy. I own a pair of HD 600, HE-400, and Mad Dogs. While I am aware that planar magnetic cans love vintage gear and the power associated with them, I've heard it's not as simple with dynamic drivers. I'm wondering if the HD 600 generally pairs well with vintage gear. Here are the amps I have at the moment.

Pioneer SA-7800

Kenwood KA-3500

Now I am aware that most people on this thread might not have any experience with these amps. But the headphone outs on both these units have ample power, especially for orthos. I've tried them with the HD 600 and both sound great. But I'm a little curious if it would be worth jumping to a dedicated amp like the Schiit Vali or Asgard 2. I've only had the Senns for a few weeks and I'm trying to get as much as I can out of them. What are your opinions on the matter? Thanks!

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #13,866 of 19,142
  Hey guys I have a quick question for you regarding headphones and amplifier synergy. I own a pair of HD 600, HE-400, and Mad Dogs. While I am aware that planar magnetic cans love vintage gear and the power associated with them, I've heard it's not as simple with dynamic drivers. I'm wondering if the HD 600 generally pairs well with vintage gear. Here are the amps I have at the moment.

Pioneer SA-7800

Kenwood KA-3500

Now I am aware that most people on this thread might not have any experience with these amps. But the headphone outs on both these units have ample power, especially for orthos. I've tried them with the HD 600 and both sound great. But I'm a little curious if it would be worth jumping to a dedicated amp like the Schiit Vali or Asgard 2. I've only had the Senns for a few weeks and I'm trying to get as much as I can out of them. What are your opinions on the matter? Thanks!

You may get a cleaner, more balanced sound with a dedicated amp but it all depends on what sound you are after. The HD600 are pretty neutral in my book, so if you are after a bit more fullness and bass response then the high impedance powerful vintage amps will give you this. I used to have the Asgard 1 and I personally wouldn't pair it with the 300 ohm hd600, I think it is better suited with lower impedance cans, it was also quite a brightly lit amp. I haven't heard the Vali but I have read that it is a good match the Senn's. Most decent tube amps are. I also think that vintage amps with headphones are very much like tube amps... Only without the messing with tubes! I've never heard a modern SS amp sound tube-like. When I say 'tube-like' I don't mean 'warm' with low level distortions etc, It is the sweet treble and depth of image.    

Because you are coming from vintage to a dedicated amp, you may very well be impressed with the sound. I went from dedicated amps to vintage and I've never looked back. But I love the sound of the 70's in general and am willing to sacrifice a completely black background for a smoother more natural sound (to my ears). 

If someone asked me how I would feed the HD600- My answer would be tubes or vintage :)

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #13,867 of 19,142
Hi,

as long as the phones are high impedance (say 200 ohms or higher), most vintage amps will be fine. The point with low impedance headphones is that most vintage amps use the power amp with a resistor as a headphone out and the resistor gives this headphone out a pretty high output impedance which will not work well with low impedance phones.

Joachim

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #13,868 of 19,142
The Pioneers that I've owned gave me an audible hiss with the hd6x0, but otherwise sounded very nice together. This can usually be eliminated with an annenuator.

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #13,869 of 19,142
Picked up a Pioneer SX-980 last week. It was pretty dirty but it's beautiful now! repainted the rear grill etc. I've replaced all the bulbs but the main bulbs (I have replaced with the correct value 8v 300ma) are turning the clear plastic piece above them white and the middle one is melting the rubber 'AUX' indicator light holder. LED bulbs for some dumb reason are $15 a piece for the main bulbs. If it gets any worse I suppose I'll have to buy the dumb $15x3 LEDs... 

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #13,870 of 19,142
  You may get a cleaner, more balanced sound with a dedicated amp but it all depends on what sound you are after. The HD600 are pretty neutral in my book, so if you are after a bit more fullness and bass response then the high impedance powerful vintage amps will give you this. I used to have the Asgard 1 and I personally wouldn't pair it with the 300 ohm hd600, I think it is better suited with lower impedance cans, it was also quite a brightly lit amp. I haven't heard the Vali but I have read that it is a good match the Senn's. Most decent tube amps are. I also think that vintage amps with headphones are very much like tube amps... Only without the messing with tubes! I've never heard a modern SS amp sound tube-like. When I say 'tube-like' I don't mean 'warm' with low level distortions etc, It is the sweet treble and depth of image.    

Because you are coming from vintage to a dedicated amp, you may very well be impressed with the sound. I went from dedicated amps to vintage and I've never looked back. But I love the sound of the 70's in general and am willing to sacrifice a completely black background for a smoother more natural sound (to my ears). 

If someone asked me how I would feed the HD600- My answer would be tubes or vintage :)

Thank you very much for the info! I started out with a Magni for the HE 400 and initially I thought it was great. Then later on I got the idea to plug my orthos into my vintage gear and was blown away. So I sold the Magni because it just couldn't keep up. Yesterday I bought a Vali so I am anxious to hear it with the Senns, I always wondered what tubes were like so this should be a good entry level amp.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #13,871 of 19,142
Picked up a Pioneer SX-980 last week. It was pretty dirty but it's beautiful now! repainted the rear grill etc. I've replaced all the bulbs but the main bulbs (I have replaced with the correct value 8v 300ma) are turning the clear plastic piece above them white and the middle one is melting the rubber 'AUX' indicator light holder. LED bulbs for some dumb reason are $15 a piece for the main bulbs. If it gets any worse I suppose I'll have to buy the dumb $15x3 LEDs... 

Congrats on the 980! Nice piece. That seems odd that the correct bulbs would be melting anything. Are they positioned correctly?

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #13,873 of 19,142
Picked up a pair of Tannoy bookshelf speakers on trade today to try out with the 500c. For the size I am very impressed with the quality and signature of these Tannoy's...very.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #13,874 of 19,142
So this is so rare I had to post the holy grail of all receivers......................330 wpc - $2995

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/4804444961.html

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #13,875 of 19,142
  So this is so rare I had to post the holy grail of all receivers......................330 wpc - $2295

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/4804444961.html

I knew it will have to resurface one day; I got to see it in flesh some 5 years ago in a second hand shop in my home town, but never heard it in action.

Technics SA-1000 IS a beast !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back