Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 10, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #13,846 of 19,143
OK, not loving the dynaco at all. I think the caps may be bad. It sounds pretty good and punchy when there's not much going on, but when a song kicks in it gets very fatiguing and mushy sounding. Ordered the Asgard 2 yesterday from prime, I should have it tomorrow. I'm an electro-mechanical tech by trade and I don't want to 'repair' stuff on my off time. Oh well, you live and learn. Hope I can at least make my money back on the unit. Thanks for the help and info guys.
Now if the denon sounds better than the Asgard, I'm really gonna be pissed lol.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #13,847 of 19,143
Got my Marantz 1060 back from the recap job today.  Only got about 20 hours on the new caps (some upgraded) so I have a little while to go before the real presentation arrives.
I can't make any formal judgments just yet...but so far so good.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #13,848 of 19,143
  Got my Marantz 1060 back from the recap job today.  Only got about 20 hours on the new caps (some upgraded) so I have a little while to go before the real presentation arrives.

Nice setup
beerchug.gif

I noticed the KAB PSU, is that their screw-on record clamp?

That's one of the few options of theirs I didn't go for on my MKII.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #13,849 of 19,143
Thank you!
No it is some other weight I got somewhere along the way.  I think it is a TTWeight.
But yes, KAB PSU.  Upgraded bearing, bypassed pitch, Audioquest PT-9 tonearm.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #13,850 of 19,143

Boy she sure looks pretty the cabinet looks to be in excellent condition. The black face looks pretty nice most examples I have seen are silver.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #13,851 of 19,143

After recaping, the equipment needs a thorough burn-in. The safe number after things audibly settle down are approx 200 hours of operation - but it takes longer to really go past any more changes. I usually feed tuner signal and play at normal listening level into some headphones that do not leak too much sound outside and/or place those headphones in a drawer with some clothes over them. 

It has been long since I was interested what&how&for how long the sound is changing with burn in ... - all I am interested now is how it works after settling down.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #13,852 of 19,143

Here's where I'm at now. Thought I asked before but I aparently didn't: is it a sin to have a case made for my amp that's not traditional walnut? Cherry would match my speakers and furniture quite well...

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #13,853 of 19,143

Here's where I'm at now. Thought I asked before but I aparently didn't: is it a sin to have a case made for my amp that's not traditional walnut? Cherry would match my speakers and furniture quite well...

No that's not a sin. What is sinful is those Polk bookshelves with that nice vintage receiver. 
tongue.gif
  I joke of course. I actually own a pair of Polk floorstanders myself. Just can't bring myself to give them up. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #13,854 of 19,143
No that's not a sin. What is sinful is those Polk bookshelves with that nice vintage receiver. :p   I joke of course. I actually own a pair of Polk floorstanders myself. Just can't bring myself to give them up. 

They sound better than the 80's floor stander's they replaced hahah. And with a 3rd floor walk up in a temporary apartment there was a limit to the size I'd go to :wink:

Someday I'll have some Horns though... Someday.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #13,855 of 19,143
They sound better than the 80's floor stander's they replaced hahah. And with a 3rd floor walk up in a temporary apartment there was a limit to the size I'd go to
wink.gif

Someday I'll have some Horns though... Someday.

Me too brother, me too. Moody has been trying to help get me into some nice vintage Klipsch. Just haven't come across the right pair yet. Soon I hope. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #13,856 of 19,143
Never been able to warm up to the sound of horns (I hear harshness there and I tend to be very sensitive to it).  The case against horns has always been that they are in essence diffraction factories.  The sound bouncing off the sides of the horn all the way out causing time coherence issues.   That is why you see so many speakers designed with nothing the sound can bounce off of on the way out - smooth surfaces curving away from the driver.   But I know the horn designs have a big following and certainly can't say they would not sound good under certain conditions.  Personal enjoyment is the key!

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #13,857 of 19,143
  Never been able to warm up to the sound of horns (I hear harshness there and I tend to be very sensitive to it).  The case against horns has always been that they are in essence diffraction factories.  The sound bouncing off the sides of the horn all the way out causing time coherence issues.   That is why you see so many speakers designed with nothing the sound can bounce off of on the way out - smooth surfaces curving away from the driver.   But I know the horn designs have a big following and certainly can't say they would not sound good under certain conditions.  Personal enjoyment is the key!

Well, it goes without saying that if I bought the Klipsch I'd upgrade the tweeters...right? 
wink_face.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #13,858 of 19,143
Matt - I never doubted that you would always go to what ever lengths were necessary to achieve audio nirvana.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #13,860 of 19,143
The klipsch ringing is completely gone to my ears with crites upgrades. At least that was the case with the three pairs of klipsch I've owned. Also another thing that reduces ringing to an almost non existent level is replacing the gasket around the horns and in some cases, just tightening the screws around them. But given the modest cost, the crites upgrades are the easiest recommendation for any heritage line klipsch. Not only do they help with ringing, but the Cornwalls I use to own produced some of smoothest, most realistic highs I've heard from a non electrostatic speakers. Infact if it wasn't for both pairs of esl speakers I currently own, I never would have moved beyond vintage klipsch. But of course ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back