Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #10,353 of 19,145
Picked up this 890 today for $65 off CL. Works perfectly and you gotta love the black face with black meters!!

Wow! That's a great deal! Wish I could find something that out here in Phoenix. Best I've seen was a Yamaha CR-620 for $75 and an CR-820 but I can't get him to message me back about the price... 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #10,356 of 19,145
Forgot all about this thread! I've found several vintage amps and receivers since I've been away. Picked up this beaut for $20 (Scott 480A), was filthy when I found it but cleaned up fairly nicely (don't know what they got on the knobs but it did not want to come off). Sorry for the super crop job, so much mess everywhere else in the pic lol

You don't even want to know what I paid for this one, but here's the pic (Sansui 1000A). Had a blown fuse, still want to recap and bring it up with a variac but is otherwise intact with all tubes.

Picked up this guy for $35 (Onkyo TX-4500), I'd put a pic of mine up but the glass is cracked and I have it off right now - trying to get a new piece cut for it.

Another one you don't wanna know what I paid for it (Scott 370R). It has some wonky issues with one meter not moving, and the input selector knob kind of acts up sometimes (Like it gets stuck between two inputs - stupid me getting deoxit in the mechanism
mad.gif
). Not a picture of mine as I have it all apart now trying to get the meter working and with little success, trying to fix that darned input knob

Both the Scott 370R and the Onkyo TX-4500 are part of that fad of "Our receiver is bigger than yours". I can't directly recall which is wider at the moment, but both of them are simply ridiculously big for their wattage.

Last one is this little Luxman LV-112, not as fancy as the others but it was $10 and is like someone just took it out of the box. I have such a soft spot for Luxman (I miss my old Luxman L-480, which I was dumb and young when I found and sold like a fool 
frown.gif
)

I'm trying to compare the Scott 480A to my trusty Harman/Kardon PM655 for using as a headphone amp (with my HD595's, nothing crazy), I was trying out the LV-112 but it has some serious volume pot imbalances at the levels I'm listening (fine for speakers though). Not figuring on much help, but anyone care to weigh in? The H/K has more adjustable tone controls to fine tune the sound and bass contour seems more pleasant than the loudness on the Scott, although the Scott sounds lovely completely flat with no loudness or tone at all. Not that the H/K doesn't mind you. I A/B'ed the two and they're both very close. I like the meters on the Scott and the flat sound, but the H/K has more adjustability with its free flowing volume knob and tone controls (should I choose to use them).

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #10,357 of 19,145
Talk about cuttin' it close!

Last night just before 2200 hours, I dragged my audio rack out of storage. Shoved it into the rear seating area of my ride and off I went. The coffee table that stands in as my rack is 48x23x16.5.

Just noticed the moving company manhandled it; now suffering stress fatigue in joint areas. 
mad.gif

rolleyes.gif

I can only fit 'Baby Sinister' on the bottom, so I reassembled the two halves into a single piece. And was quickly reminded how heavy this thing is! After gently shoving the Sansui into place I began to smile broadly. The rack has a depth of 23", and the Sansui has a depth of 23"... can't get any closer than that! 
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #10,358 of 19,145
Once you get into the bigger vintage receivers, finding a good rack for storage can often be a problem. DIY racks often become necessary or putting it on the top shelf. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #10,359 of 19,145
I use this guy - originally from Bestbuy, but found on CL. Attractive, well built, heavy, and BIG. I had my KR-9600 on the middle shelf and the SX-1980 on the bottom shelf and it had room for more. I think it's 59'' wide and 28 deep on the bottom.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #10,361 of 19,145
  Talk about cuttin' it close!

Last night just before 2200 hours, I dragged my audio rack out of storage. Shoved it into the rear seating area of my ride and off I went. The coffee table that stands in as my rack is 48x23x16.5.

Just noticed the moving company manhandled it; now suffering stress fatigue in joint areas. 
mad.gif

rolleyes.gif

I can only fit 'Baby Sinister' on the bottom, so I reassembled the two halves into a single piece. And was quickly reminded how heavy this thing is! After gently shoving the Sansui into place I began to smile broadly. The rack has a depth of 23", and the Sansui has a depth of 23"... can't get any closer than that! 
wink.gif

Way to go SO! Can't wait to hear more :)

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #10,362 of 19,145
I use this guy - originally from Bestbuy, but found on CL. Attractive, well built, heavy, and BIG. I had my KR-9600 on the middle shelf and the SX-1980 on the bottom shelf and it had room for more. I think it's 59'' wide and 28 deep on the bottom.

Wow! Didn't know anyone else had one of these! Been using one for a couple years myself, GREAT rack!

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #10,363 of 19,145
Holy crap SkyLab!!!

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #10,364 of 19,145
Just looking at that makes me want to cry. I see you haven't broken the laws of audiophilia by only having a slight smiley face on that EQ, more like a little smirk XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back